C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need help locating Fiber Optic cable for CD changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Exclamation Need help locating Fiber Optic cable for CD changer

Hey guys,
Help! I can't find the Fiber Optic cable in my trunk!

I have a 2002 C32 that doesn't have the CD changer and show no signs of ever having one installed before. I got the original Mercedes CD changer model MC3010. I looked online for tutorials and all of them go into quite a bit of detail regarding taking apart the vents and removing the head unit, however none mention anything about the Fiber Optic cable other than "it's in the trunk".

Well, I opened my trunk, looked for it and only found some cables underneath a plastic shield held together by two torx bolts that hold down the plastic shield and two metal swivel anchors.

Underneath this shield, I saw a bunch of wires and a black motorola box. In this bunch of wires, I saw what looked like the same fiber optic cable in other people's tutorials. It was orange, had one end with a connector with a cap on it and was held on by 3 zip ties through it's length to a bunch of wires. I followed the cable to find the other end but couldn't find the other end. As I followed the cable, it seemed to go up into and behind a carpeted cover/panel near the rear passenger side of the car. I tried to take this panel off and only took part of it off since it covers the entire passenger side of the trunk. Anyhow, as I lifted the panel off to one side, I noticed the orange wire was going straight up. Before I went any further (plus it was dark outside), I wanted to consult all of you who have installed a CD Changer before in a W203 C class sedan w/ Bose and help me locate the fiber optic cable.

I would like to do a tutorial with detailed pics b/c seems that there isn't one out there. As long as I get some help locating the fiber optic cable, I should be okay and can complete the rest. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
On a W203, the fibre optic cable isn't in the trunk. It comes in the kit with the CD changer. The changer mounts in the glovebox.

-s-
Old 10-20-2004, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
Quite certain that what you described is the fiber cable. it should terminate 1) in the dash and 2) near the left rear tail light. If you intercepted it just aft of the wheel well, I'm thinking you should work rearwards, towards the tail end of the vehicle. It's a pretty neat wiring harness; any unused cables are zip tied....as the orange, fiber cable should be as well.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xqwizit
I would like to do a tutorial with detailed pics b/c seems that there isn't one out there. As long as I get some help locating the fiber optic cable, I should be okay and can complete the rest. Can anyone help?
No need for a tutorial online when you can use the original Mercedes installation documents. Paul has them on his site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

Select your model/year. Note how that the W203 CD parts list includes the required fibre optic cable.

-s-
Old 10-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Thanks Scorchie and Raymond G. I've found the Fiber Optic cable in my trunk. It was a spare one that wasn't used and the ends were plugged into each other so it made a continuous loop. I just had to undo the zip ties and red fabric tape to take it out of the trunk.

Now my dillemma is finding the CD changer power cable as I've looked high and low in the dash and didn't find anything behind my Navigation system.

Can anyone be kind enough to send me a picture of what the Power Plug looks like? All I found that was a close match was a black 3 wire ribbon cable with a plug on it (this plug was in the middle of the cable, not the end) and it originally was plugged into the climate control. I tried it and it didn't turn the CD changer on and also caused my stereo to produce no sound (probably b/c the changer wasn't on and couldn't send the fiber optic signal through the loop). Can anyone help? This is taking much longer than I had anticipated.

If anyone's in the Bay area (SF) and wouldn't mind testing my CD changer for me in their car or helping out with the install, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Benny
Old 10-25-2004, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've found the cd changer power cable as far down the side of the console so it was under the passenger floor mat.

The power connector looks pretty much the shape as the one that goes in to the climate control (please leave that one in the climate control) except it has discrete wires going into it, that are usually colored.

Oh, it's usually taped with masking tape or something. Look for that.

-s-
Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
I tried to use the spare cable in the trunk but it didn't work and I had to get a new one. Others have succeeded with it, but if you hook everything up and still see the message "no cd player" that's probably the reason.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
Look at http://www.mbklasse.com/forums/showt...&threadid=7020
I posted photos of the entire Cd installation, all parts and tools needed. Also photos of the power plug and where it is located.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Thanks everyone! All done!

After some tips from other members, I have finally figured everything out and have everything installed and in working order. Thanks everyone!
For people looking at this thread in the future, I used the spare Fiber optic cable from the trunk with SPS In and SPS Out tags. The Power cable is behind the head unit but tucked away near the passenger footwell. It's multicolored and is wrapped once in masking tape. You'll have to put your fingers in there and dig for it b/c you can't see it b/c it's hidden.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:46 PM

W203 C180 Coupe Kompressor
Scorchie could you please re-post the CD stacker tutorial, the link above does not work for me

Many thanks, Christian
Old 04-25-2018, 02:39 PM

2002 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by scorchie
No need for a tutorial online when you can use the original Mercedes installation documents. Paul has them on his site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~phdwebsit..._bulletins.htm

Select your model/year. Note how that the W203 CD parts list includes the required fibre optic cable.

-s-
Link seems to be gone , anyone have new link for this Mercedes installation documents ??????
Old 04-26-2018, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
If you have no other components (phone, voice control, Tele Aid etc.) installed in the car, the fibre lines that comes with the CD changer (this can be ordered at the dealer if your changer unit didn't include them) can simply be plugged into the back of the radio, such that the radio and changer form a fibre loop.

If you want more details, PM me for the document.