C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

a girl, her first Mercedes and some questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C230K
a girl, her first Mercedes and some questions.

Hey all. I just bought a black 2004 C230K coupe. I think I got a good price, since it was driven internally and had 4500 miles on it. I can't believe how fun it is! I drove up and down the lake all day long. Now I have a few questions.

1) The seatbelts are a pain. Sure, they're far back, but every coupe I've ever had has been the same. But what's the story on the seatbelt "presenter"? I get that it's supposed to help, but not how to make it work. I assumed that I was supposed to thread the belt through that little notch. Once I did that, the belt was much better positioned. Alas, it wouldn't budge -- way too much resistance. My passenger was thoroughly annoyed by the whole thing. Has anyone here removed the presenter with good results?

2) In non-enthusiast terms, what's the difference between "C" and "S" mode? Is it anything I'd notice while driving?

3) Does anyone else feel like their car hovers above the road? It's kind of cool, but I'm worried about how it'll feel come winter.

4) What's your take on snow tires? Worth the extra cash?

Thanks so much, guys. I'm happy I found this place.

Cheers,
Kathleen
Old 11-14-2004, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
I do not own a C-coupe, so the only question I can answer is about the C and S modes. In C mode(comfort), the transmission starts in second gear from takeoff for a less chance of spinning the wheels in wet weather, there's a slower reverse gear, and the transmission shifts at lower RPM's(revs). In S mode(standard), the car starts in first gear, has a standard reverse gear, and shifts at higher RPM's.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Snow tires are a must in your area. This topic is covered very well, run a search on "winter tires". Do it while you have time before winter hits - stock summer high-performance tires are worthless and downright dangerous in the snow.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
there are seat belt extenders available for your car which will make the belts eaiser to reaech. do a search for them on this forum,
Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 PM

2004 C230K
Thanks everyone. I assumed the seatbelt extenders were what came on my car -- a plastic thing that you can manuever over the back of the seat.

Stupid question, but as far as winter tires go, do you have change back to summer tires every single year?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Yes, you'll have to switch. Wintertires are just as out of place in summer as the performance tires you have now are in the snow.. Hit Ebay or the forumns and buy a set of stock 16's...doesn't matter what kind- and then order up a set of winter only tires, and have them mounted at a local garage- should cost you about 10 to 20 a wheel. Total outlay will probably be about 800+. You can also order a complete package at tirerack.com- if you don't care what the rims look like.

Yes, Vadim is correct, performance tires are a serious problem in snow. I know- I live just north of you. The Michelin Pilots that come on a C-Coupe ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE IN THE SNOW. You'll regret even trying to get through snow with out wintertires, and will be lucky to avoid accidents. Additionally, those nice(and very expensive) C7 rims will look like **** after a chicago winter. Also, don't follow close to other cars when salt or sand is on the road, it will chip up the front of your car.

Try MBKlasse as well, its a much better Coupe site than here. Welcome, enjoy your coupe!!
Old 11-14-2004, 11:11 PM

2004 C230K
Ah, I have so much to learn. Thanks for being kind to a novice. I'm not a car junkie, but I can see myself slowly becoming one with this little car. Thanks for the recommendation on MBKlasse. I just went there, but it was Greek to me. Methinks I need to study up before diving in.

On tires: I keep reading that there are MB-certified tires. How do I find out what those are? Also, it sounds like 16" tires will handle better in the snow. How do I find out if that size is okay for my model?

Thanks again.

Last edited by girlwithaspirin; 11-14-2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Welcome to the forum

1) Find and read your owners manual. It provides a wealth of info.
2) Just like Outland said; go to tirerack.com. Great info and tutorials.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by girlwithaspirin
1) The seatbelts are a pain. Sure, they're far back, but every coupe I've ever had has been the same. But what's the story on the seatbelt "presenter"? I get that it's supposed to help, but not how to make it work. I assumed that I was supposed to thread the belt through that little notch. Once I did that, the belt was much better positioned. Alas, it wouldn't budge -- way too much resistance. My passenger was thoroughly annoyed by the whole thing. Has anyone here removed the presenter with good results?
Kat - I actually added the seat belt extender to my 2002 coupe. I think that they do help (others have different opinions). Make sure that you're getting the twist right; it can bind if not done correctly. If you need to, go to the dealership (assuming that they have a coupe on display), and see how the belt's run through the extender.

A set of good snow tires and steel 16" rims will run you 900-1,000, and yes, they're worth it.

Keep enjoying the car.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Pics of you?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Banned

Just because you're a girl doesn't mean we're going to answer you.

*leaves with his precious knowledge*
Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM

2004 C230K
Um, I wasn't try to lure anyone into answering me with the subject of this thread. I actually should've called it "a moron, her first Mercedes and some questions." I know so little about cars, I was hoping you'd go easy on me. So c'mon, Oil Change, bring back your precious knowledge. Please?

I read the owner's manual, and I still had questions. Until yesterday, I didn't even know the difference between tires and wheels. Yep. Somehow, I've managed to live my life blissfully unaware of what makes a car go.

On the tires, do you guys lug them back and forth to the installer twice a year? The dealer mentioned that if I purchased from them, they'd store the out-of-season tires 'til I needed them next. But the price they quoted for tires alone was much higher than, say, Tire Rack.

Tommy, I'll stop by the dealer to check how the seatbelts are configured. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by Oil Change
Just because you're a girl doesn't mean we're going to answer you.

*leaves with his precious knowledge*
welcome and dont mind this person, he posts the stupidest things and doesnt have any "precious knowledge" that you would need anyway. do a search for his user name and you will see. good luck with your new car
Old 11-15-2004, 12:56 PM

2001 SL 500
On the tires, do you guys lug them back and forth to the installer twice a year? The dealer mentioned that if I purchased from them, they'd store the out-of-season tires 'til I needed them next. But the price they quoted for tires alone was much higher than, say, Tire Rack.
I transport them for my van, and would pay a lower price and store them myself. For what snows and wheels cost for my SL, I'm going to buy an old 4 wheeler and drive that.
However, if you only have one vehicle, you need snow tires. As one poster said, get the cheapest wheels you can find, as you'll just get them screwed up.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
On the tires, do you guys lug them back and forth to the installer twice a year?
As a girl you have several options:

1) Store and change them yourself. Break a nail. :v
2) Call Roadside Assistance to your house to change out 4 flat tires with the other good ones.
3) Pizza and beer for the boyfriend/neighbor.
4) Daddy/brother.
5) etc.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
As a girl you have several options:

1) Store and change them yourself. Break a nail. :v
2) Call Roadside Assistance to your house to change out 4 flat tires with the other good ones.
3) Pizza and beer for the boyfriend/neighbor.
4) Daddy/brother.
5) etc.

Welcome aspirin girl. Btw STOP using Aspirin!!
Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
welcome
Old 11-15-2004, 04:18 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
The plastic seatbelt presenter should not bind. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails a girl, her first Mercedes and some questions.-extender1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Geez, I'm starting to wonder if this contraption would have kept galaxygrrl in her Coupe? Oh, well...
Old 11-15-2004, 04:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Geez, I'm starting to wonder if this contraption would have kept galaxygrrl in her Coupe? Oh, well...
whoa...BOB is BACK!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart

Kathleen,
First of all welcome to the Forum, and congrats on your new Coupé !

the seat belt "presenter" (extenders) were added as standard in the 2003 Coupés. All of the 2002 Coupés I have seen do NOT have the seatbelt extenders. So some might not know what you're talking about.

To answer your question, some people have actually retrofitted the presenter/extender. The best way to "make" it work, is to position the extender over the seat before you get into the car, and ensure that the seat belt flows through it smoothly. Trying to move the extender once you are in the seat is a pain in the @$$, and that's why it seems to get stuck and not want to budge, especially if it's swiveled around behind the seat.

If you position it before you get in, you will have it right above your shoulder and within easy grasp and pulling distance, once you are in your seat. (passenger side too).

Old 11-15-2004, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I read the owner's manual, and I still had questions. Until yesterday, I didn't even know the difference between tires and wheels. Yep. Somehow, I've managed to live my life blissfully unaware of what makes a car go.
My mother still calls the rims "tires", and doesn't understand why my wife lets me put different tires on her vehicle each winter. "Tell him the chrome tires look nicer, and just leave them on"....or something like that.

Find a friend that has an SUV or pickup. Better yet, get your boyfriend/father/butch girlfriend, or change them at home. Its pretty easy. One jack, 5 bolts on each wheel. Make sure the summer tires are washed and stored dry, in a dry location. They are too pretty to let them corrode over the winter. A little extra work is the price of beauty, eh?

You don't need MB approved tires, either. A set of blizzaks, or arctic Alpins should do nicely. Deeper the tread, the better. In Chitown, its going to be slush and the occasional deep snow. I dated a girl who lived in Oak Park for awhile...I hated driving into chicago in winter. There must be two plows for the whole city

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:46 PM

2004 C230K
Hey lars, thanks for the extender photo. It's made one thing clear -- mine seem to be on wrong. Rather than extending the part of the belt that goes around your body, it's attached to the part that pulls out of the car. I'll have to mess with it a bit to see if I can't get it working.

I have a husband, but he's more into music than cars. Neither one of us has ever dealt with anything but all-season tires. When I mentioned getting snow tires, he asked why. :o I suppose it's time to find myself a butch girlfriend, eh?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:55 PM

2004 C230K
Okay, that photo solved it -- the wrong part of the belt was threaded through the extender. Funny that it's been driven like that for the past year at the dealership. Now that I've got it fixed, I love it. It definitely makes reaching the belt a whole lot easier.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:28 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
That's great. You're going to enjoy this car.

You might want to consider a mounting your snow tires on a separate set of wheels. By the time you figure in the cost for changing and balancing four tires in the fall and then back again in the spring, it may be worth it. Depends on how long you think you will keep the car. You could check the 'Classifieds' forum to see if there are any good deals.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: a girl, her first Mercedes and some questions.