C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How to turn off the stupid ESP control!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by vadim
Then you bought the wrong car. Yet again, if you are saying that the ESP activates when you take some mild turns, then something is wrong either with the tires or the ESP itself - or, perhaps, with your judgement of the "mildness"? ESP is here for an "average" driver(just like an automatic transmission). If you really like spirited driving, get a Porsche or a Bimmer - or keep turning the dyno mode on before taking off. You knew what you were buying, right? I honestly don't understand people who do not do their homework and then ***** about this and that trying to draw sympathy.
Im a fairly conservative driver for the most part, but sometimes I just want to let loose. Yes my definition of mild is some what of an understatement. BMW has stability controls too, but I think you can actually turn theirs all the way off with a click of a button. Which is a nice feature. Yes I know what I Was buying, a luxury car. I prefer look and interiors of MBs over BMW. As for spirited driving, that is why there is aftermarket... to fix the soft suspension. Its the only weakness and it can be fixed.But MB has learned from there mistake. In the new SLK350 you can finally turn it all the way off from what I recall, it was an article in Car and Driver.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vadim
Then sell this car and get one without ESP. What's the point complaining about it in this forum?? MB's clientelle is not "good drivers", rather the opposite. I re-posted the procedure of disabling the ESP, you found it too complicated, meaning that you are too lazy to perform just a few simple steps to get rid of this annoying thing constricting a "good driver" - so do you really want it disabled that bad?
I could careless if it is on or off, I just prefer it to be off as that's the way I like to drive my car. I just wanted to see if I can turn it off in anyway by hitting the button like the BMW. I believe the ESP is a feature for clueless drivers, it's not a MUST HAVE for all the cars or all drivers. If you change your driving style to fit the ESP, you either love the car a lot or you cant drive....
Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Guest0001

I Can see Vadims next post. "sell your car and buy a BMW"
Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 AM

White C230 Coupe, Leather, Evolution, Panorama, Heated seats, Bose, Factory Alarm
Originally Posted by tmak26b
I could careless if it is on or off, I just prefer it to be off as that's the way I like to drive my car. I just wanted to see if I can turn it off in anyway by hitting the button like the BMW. I believe the ESP is a feature for clueless drivers, it's not a MUST HAVE for all the cars or all drivers. If you change your driving style to fit the ESP, you either love the car a lot or you cant drive....

Sorry to break the news to you.... but there are very FEW cars that allows you to turn the ESP completely OFF... and BMW is not one of those cars. When I was taking the BMW driving school classes, the BMW's were specially modified with a seperate control unit that allows us to completely turn OFF all the electronics and enable us to practice our Drifting..
We were explained that the electronics cannot be turned off on 'normal' BMW's.

Correct me if I am wrong but the cars that allows the ESP and Traction Control to be completely turned OFF are the Enzo, 360 Stradale Modena, Porsche 911 ? , and the RX-8. There's probably a few other cars.... but I can't think of them right now..... but BMW's are not on the list... perhaps the M3 CSL might allow that feature... but I am lazy to find out right now.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
Sorry to break the news to you.... but there are very FEW cars that allows you to turn the ESP completely OFF... and BMW is not one of those cars. When I was taking the BMW driving school classes, the BMW's were specially modified with a seperate control unit that allows us to completely turn OFF all the electronics and enable us to practice our Drifting..

Correct me if I am wrong but the cars that allows the ESP and Traction Control to be completely turned OFF are the Enzo, 360 Stradale Modena, Porsche 911 ? , and the RX-8. There's probably a few other cars.... but I can't think of them right now..... but BMW's are not on the list... perhaps the M3 CSL might allow that feature... but I am lazy to find out right now.
Thanks for the information. Thats interesting. I guess BMW handling is so good that ESP does not even have a chance to turn on.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
The traction control on the BMW isn't as agressive in reducing wheelspin. Chryslers version of ESP allows some wheelspin, and so does GM's. Our MB's kicks in pretty early. Ford's is pretty aggressive- no spin. Again, this is the traction control that most of you get worked up about. Its pretty hard to invoke the ESP system in the dry. The button should be labeled differently, perhaps. There's three systems involved, and unfortunately, only 1 button.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Originally Posted by Imperial C320
In the new SLK350 you can finally turn it all the way off from what I recall, it was an article in Car and Driver.
If you go back and re-read the Car and Driver article, they are giving the method for putting the car into Dyno-Mode (see post from Vadim earlier in this thread for details). The ESP-OFF switch in the new SLK350 is the same like yours and mine.

Additionally, I have turned ESP-OFF several times - for playing in the rain, snow, open roads, etc. It DOES turn off the invasive system and allow the car to slide (both understeer and oversteer), while attempting to minimize wheelspin. If it's massive wheelspin that you're looking for, a Mustang would've been a better choice.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 AM

on my cousin's BMW 325xi, one touch on the button means traction control off, holding hte button means stability control off.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:17 AM

On my cousin's 325xi, one touch on the button turns off traction control, holding the button turns off stability control
Old 11-24-2004, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
If you have good tires you will not see ESP activate unless you try to make it. At least that is the way mine is. The only time I see the light flicker is once in a while on wet pavement since I have a little heavy of a right foot. Other than that I can drive pretty spiritedly without ever activating it. I have never once had it activate while cornering, then again I know the limits of my tires and car as I have played with it off to see how the car responds though. My wife has learned to drive very spiritedly without ESP ever coming on! But alas as I get older I do not find the joy anymore in smoking the tires and sliding, I get more joy bringing the car and tires to there limits without going past. Even from a stop!!!!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

pretty hard to get a car these days without some kind of traction or stability control isn't it?

maybe a Civic.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by pokerFACE
pretty hard to get a car these days without some kind of traction or stability control isn't it?

maybe a Civic.
just read a article regarding Honda and safety. By the end of 2005, ALL models across its line of vehicles will be outfitted with VSC (or what ever they name their ESP), side impact airbags and curtain airbags.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Originally Posted by Imperial C320
Thanks for the information. Thats interesting. I guess BMW handling is so good that ESP does not even have a chance to turn on.
What an assinine statement! Do BMW's adhere to a different set of physics laws?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by kokketiel
What an assinine statement! Do BMW's adhere to a different set of physics laws?
Yes they cheat