C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How to turn off the stupid ESP control!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to turn off the stupid ESP control!!!

How do you turn it off? By pressing the button in the center, I think it only disables the traction control, not stability control right? This is on a C230 coupe 02
Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blimp
you have to go into "dyno mode" Search it.

-Danny
Old 11-22-2004, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by tmak26b
How do you turn it off? By pressing the button in the center, I think it only disables the traction control, not stability control right? This is on a C230 coupe 02
What exactly is your goal? Why is it stupid?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:17 PM

05 CLK 320
turn on and off the car three times in quick sucession,and the on the fourth on the car is is diagnostic mode, In this mode, open the hoode, then open the trunk at this point the car is in super diagnostic mode. Then run around the car 5 times in counterclock wise direction, now the car's artifical intelligence unit turns on. Now turn off the ESP button in the center console. That is it you are all set. It does however say in the manuel you can just press the button to turn off ESP without doing the other steps.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

pressing the ESP off button turns OFF **ESP** (no kidding??), not traction control.

a basic traction control will remain active at all times. the button shuts off stability control and torque-management feature.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by vadim
What exactly is your goal? Why is it stupid?
I want to learn how the car behaves without the ESP, the idea of having a computer help you steer the car is not exactly a driver's friendly item. How do you turn it off? I think hitting the ESP button turns off teh traction control because I can smoke the tires with it off, yet I still cant get the car to spin out if I gas the car in 1st.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Actually, it turns of the traction control, NOT Esp. Stability control is still active, somewhat. The only reason there's an off button for trac control in all cars is that on really slippery surfaces the trac control will make it impossible to move.

The CCD(which gives you the fake posi)stays active as well.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
I want to learn how the car behaves without the ESP, the idea of having a computer help you steer the car is not exactly a driver's friendly item. How do you turn it off? I think hitting the ESP button turns off teh traction control because I can smoke the tires with it off, yet I still cant get the car to spin out if I gas the car in 1st.
Actually, ESP hepls you stay on the road (and in one piece) more than it helps you steer the car. But if you must, here is how:

1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one)
5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode)
7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
when you hit the button, it turns off traction control and stability to a certain point. I did a test in a parking lot with snow. Going around a 90 degree turn, I hit the gas and ESP kicks in and stops the rear from coming around.

Now I turn it off, I can bring the rear around no problem and have a little fun.

BUT, if I hit the gas real hard into the turn and swing the entire rear around, like a 180, ESP will kick in, sensing that it needs to correct a major driver error. So it's still there, but really to only correct major error.
The following users liked this post:
Brajan Kola (11-21-2020)
Old 11-23-2004, 12:03 AM

All the work to turn off the ESP, I guess I will just leave it the way it is. Lucky I dont drive the car enough to care
Old 11-23-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exclamation

outland, I have pressed the ESP off button and proceeded to play around in a snow-covered lot. No sign of it taking action except at the rear wheels (meaning traction control there...)

maybe mine is defective :p

you guys are confusing the traction and stability controls. Traction control is for acceleration purposes only. Stability is directional (it will work even if your foot is off the throttle). For example. With ESP on, do a hard turn (but off the gas). No flashing exclamation point on your dash shows up. Do a hard turn WITH gas. Flashy yellow sign pops up. Repeat with ESP off (exclamation point remains on the whole time). Do a hard turn without gas, and you'll plow right through the corner. Do a hard turn WITH gas, exclamation point flashes (that is the traction control part... it's called ETS, not ESP).

Hence, in ESP off mode, you only get the traction control component, I guess gdawg is partially correct, because it would correct wheelspin and throttle-induced oversteer, but not understeer. ESP is probably saving our butts all the time, but you probably just dont realize it (no warning light).

Last edited by pokerFACE; 11-23-2004 at 11:20 AM. Reason: addtl content
Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
The ESP is off whe you depress the button. It leaves active the Psuedo Limited Slip section of the traction control when the button is off. I have no problem hitting the button and sliding the *** around corners. Although with brand spanking new tires this was more dificult than before. But after the tires wear a little all was the same again. Seems to like to slide around left hand corners much easier than right hand though. But I have done it all, and lost the rubber on the tires to prove it... Fun is over now as tires are expensive and I have more fun keeping it going pretty quickly without major loss of traction.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:07 PM

With the ESP off, I can spin the tires all the day long accelerating. I just cant get the stability control to turn off, I cant pitch the car sideways at will!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Sorry Poker, youve got it wrong. It works just like I said.

Youre messing the terms. Stabilty control makes the car go in the direction its pointed, traction control keeps the wheels from spinning.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
The ESP is off whe you depress the button. It leaves active the Psuedo Limited Slip section of the traction control when the button is off. I have no problem hitting the button and sliding the *** around corners. Although with brand spanking new tires this was more dificult than before. But after the tires wear a little all was the same again. Seems to like to slide around left hand corners much easier than right hand though. But I have done it all, and lost the rubber on the tires to prove it... Fun is over now as tires are expensive and I have more fun keeping it going pretty quickly without major loss of traction.
Same here. Now that Ive got new rubber, the new fun is how many MPG I can squeeze out on my daily commute. My last car did the loop at 24-27mpg. In normal driving for me, its been about 21-23, its mostly city. Watching the boost, using the cruise, lots of 6th gear, and plenty of just taking it easy has allowed me to run the same loop at 30.7 mpg. My tank average is now at 27.1....I'm impressed. I think with the 1.8 it would be even better.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Guest0001

I honestly hate ESP. Its such intrusive and annoying system.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Imperial C320
I agree, I almost got myself killed when it decided to control wheelspin while i am trying to get the hell off the middle of the street
Old 11-23-2004, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
If you see it activate itself too often, then you may want to recosider your driving style. It may look annoying, but it helps you stay on course in situations where you would be fighting to avoid curbs, trees, ditches and other vehicles. There is only so much traction - you have to learn to drive your car to never see ESP kick in.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Some people ***** about anything. I recall similarly idiotic comment about how "antilock brakes nearly killed me" back in the early nineties when everyone started getting them. Wouldn't own a car without it now.

I like the option to turn it off, if I WANT to goof off. Before I put my winter tires on, my neighbor and I went out and did about a dozen massive burnouts, effectively killing what little was left of the rear C7 Pilots, but then as we were coming home, it began to drizzle. It was sure nice to have ESP and the traction control back.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Guest0001

If you see it activate itself too often, then you may want to recosider your driving style. It may look annoying, but it helps you stay on course in situations where you would be fighting to avoid curbs, trees, ditches and other vehicles. There is only so much traction - you have to learn to drive your car to never see ESP kick in.
Vadim, I take some mild turns and it activates. I wish it just lets the car skid a little without getting into my business. it takes the fun out of driving.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:27 PM

A good driver should be able to stay on course in most circumstances. I wouldnt want to have my life depended on some computer controls.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Outland
Sorry Poker, youve got it wrong. It works just like I said.

Youre messing the terms. Stabilty control makes the car go in the direction its pointed, traction control keeps the wheels from spinning.
isnt that what i've been saying?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by Outland
Some people ***** about anything. I recall similarly idiotic comment about how "antilock brakes nearly killed me" back in the early nineties when everyone started getting them. Wouldn't own a car without it now.
Yeah that is true. I guess its hard to get used to something new when you are used to the old technology. Like My mom passed on a 2004 E320 since she didnt like the SBC Braking system.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Vadim, I take some mild turns and it activates. I wish it just lets the car skid a little without getting into my business. it takes the fun out of driving.
Then you bought the wrong car. Yet again, if you are saying that the ESP activates when you take some mild turns, then something is wrong either with the tires or the ESP itself - or, perhaps, with your judgement of the "mildness"? ESP is here for an "average" driver(just like an automatic transmission). If you really like spirited driving, get a Porsche or a Bimmer - or keep turning the dyno mode on before taking off. You knew what you were buying, right? I honestly don't understand people who do not do their homework and then ***** about this and that trying to draw sympathy.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
A good driver should be able to stay on course in most circumstances. I wouldnt want to have my life depended on some computer controls.
Then sell this car and get one without ESP. What's the point complaining about it in this forum?? MB's clientelle is not "good drivers", rather the opposite. I re-posted the procedure of disabling the ESP, you found it too complicated, meaning that you are too lazy to perform just a few simple steps to get rid of this annoying thing constricting a "good driver" - so do you really want it disabled that bad?

Last edited by vadim; 11-23-2004 at 10:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to turn off the stupid ESP control!!!