C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Where does MB currently ranks as far as quality goes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Imperial C320
I dont understand some people who constantly complain. there about 5,000 brands to choose from in America. IF you dont like your cars quality, you sell it and move on. You are not forced to choose MB. There is BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Volvo, Jag, Acura, and the overrated Lexus. Im sure one of these brands will satisfy you. Would you keep your girlfriend around if she constanstly NAGS and is unloyal? No you toss her.
Exactly. Don't complain to us, we could care less. To me, Lexus is a really nice coffin. Comfy, sure. Secure and solid...yep, has to be, its a coffin. But something I want to be in? No effen way! Lexus is like a pricey Buick, but with overhead cams, instead of pushrods.

Infinity is showing the most innovative stuff of all the Japanese wannabees, Lexus is just dull city. And everything over at Acura is just a redone Accord, except the ancient two seater. So, if your telling me never having any issues, or 'percieved' quality is all that matters, might as well just stick with the Camrys and Accords and save a lot of money.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by trout
I dont know...Lexus seems to be catching up on the prestige end. As far as quality goes, my wifes rx300 just had its 60k service done...it has never been to the shop other than for service in its lifetime. Hers has the "sludge prone" engine but from what I have researched it is generally caused by not changing oil regularly like you should. I also know that lexus will replace the engine even if you are out of warranty.
Not quite. Toyota(there is no "lexus", its just a brand) changed the head design to make the engine run hotter in the combustion chambers for emissions reasons(cleaner burn, so far, so good- certainly a reasonable goal), but the extra heat "cooks" the oil in the heads, and many people who changed there oil per the factory intervals still got sludged. And as fars as the 'good faith' part goes, Toyota denied there was a problem, until AFTER they changed the head design again. The threat of a class action lawsuit, and over a thousand letters to the NHTSA , several high profile articles, and frequent mentions in the news, gave them a change of heart. It would have been suicide not to. Acura/Honda was forced to do the same thing with its troublesome automatics. Once again, AFTER the design was changed.

I know lexus is tops as far as quality and is considered a 'snooty' car like bmw, benz, etc....but for some reason I cannot get that 05 c230ss out of my mind. I plan on driving the is and the es but i worry that my mind as already made up. same thing when i drove the 325, i drove it but really didnt pay attention to it. I think I've been sucked in and will choose a shoddy built lesser quality benz over the lex. God help me!
Its hardly Shoddy build quality. Go drive a Ford or a Kia if you want to know what shoddy is. I'm plenty happy with the car, regardless of what the so called quality experts say. I'd rather have my Benz have glitch than have to drive something as boring as an ES300.

Last edited by Outland; 12-02-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320wz
I know lexus is tops as far as quality and is considered a 'snooty' car like bmw, benz, etc....but for some reason I cannot get that 05 c230ss out of my mind.
"...Your mind is tiffany twisted. You got the Mercedes-Benz"

-- song: Hotel California, artist:The Eagles

Old 12-03-2004, 09:12 AM

you guys are right. and as much as i fear getting a mb that will give me troubles down the road...I cant change my mind. All i think about these days is that c230 that i drove. It calls to me. I drove it and there no going back. Im certain that when my truck sells, I will be getting that white sport sedan, 6sp, with the lighter interior. No sunroof or any options, pretty much a base c230 sport sedan. I cant get her out of my mind. :v

So you guys have given me the scary stuff...how about some reassurance now? Tell me how wonderful the car is! Even with the little annoyances, has the car ever left you stranded?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
you guys are right. and as much as i fear getting a mb that will give me troubles down the road...I cant change my mind. All i think about these days is that c230 that i drove. It calls to me. I drove it and there no going back. Im certain that when my truck sells, I will be getting that white sport sedan, 6sp, with the lighter interior. No sunroof or any options, pretty much a base c230 sport sedan. I cant get her out of my mind. :v

So you guys have given me the scary stuff...how about some reassurance now? Tell me how wonderful the car is! Even with the little annoyances, has the car ever left you stranded?
As long as some little things don't bother you I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. It is a crap shoot with every car maker as to if you are going to be the lucky one with no problems and the one that got the last car off the line on a Friday with all the bugs in it! And that is what warranty is for. If they were all going to be perfect off the line and for the first 50,000 miles there would not be a warranty needed. But crap happens and some stuff just fails so it is needed. Thank god for some that in MB's case it is 50,000 miles and not 3/36 like my last Saturn. Had the tranny in that car worked on three times during its lease. As a matter of fact we did not even drive it the last three months since the warranty was done and I did not want to turn it in with a problem that would have cost me! Funny though that my 18 year old 190E does not have any other issues than old plastic breaking! Car runs and drives fine after 160,000 miles with only normal maint needed. And I have no idea how it was treated for the first 155,000 miles.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:27 PM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally Posted by Outland
Exactly. Don't complain to us, we could care less. To me, Lexus is a really nice coffin. Comfy, sure. Secure and solid...yep, has to be, its a coffin. But something I want to be in? No effen way! Lexus is like a pricey Buick, but with overhead cams, instead of pushrods.

Infinity is showing the most innovative stuff of all the Japanese wannabees, Lexus is just dull city. And everything over at Acura is just a redone Accord, except the ancient two seater. So, if your telling me never having any issues, or 'percieved' quality is all that matters, might as well just stick with the Camrys and Accords and save a lot of money.
Missing the point. Poster's question wasn't "why did you buy a Benz" or "is Lexus dull?" They asked about build quality. Mentioning that MB quality isn't what it was or that it isn't up to Lexus standards isn't complaining to people on this board -- it is just reality. Just trying to offer objective advice and an answer to the question asked. Having issues with your car and quality issues are not all that matters -- just all that was asked in the original question.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:44 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Originally Posted by shortbear
There are several articles on the internet:

Lexus is No. 1 in durability

Japanese brands win top 5 spots in survey
November 22, 2002

BY MICHAEL ELLIS
REUTERS

Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus luxury vehicle division topped an industry study for long-term durability for the eighth straight year Thursday, while DaimlerChrysler AG's Mercedes division suffered the sharpest drop due to problems with its M-Class sport-utility vehicle.

<snip>

Hopefully Mercedes is paying attention and will improve their quality control.
Just keep in mind that this is a 2+ year old article.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I love it how people are acting like you can either have cool stuff OR reliability.

At this point, what's on a Benz that's not on an Infiniti or Lexus car, options-wise? And do you hear their owners saying that you should accept inferior quality because they have these options?

MB's "solution" for their quality problems (at least partially) of decontenting is about the most gutless way of dealing with them. Why should that be defended?