C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

X-type

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by revstriker
I don't have any data as to how they are selling, but I sure do see a lot of them on the road. Certainly more than the C Sedan, or Coupe. Of couse.... I know that Hertz has them in their rental fleet.
I think Hertz is partially owned by Ford. Thats why you see them in their rental fleet. Nobody wants to buy one.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have any data as to how they are selling, but I sure do see a lot of them on the road. Certainly more than the C Sedan, or Coupe. Of couse.... I know that Hertz has them in their rental fleet.
Actually Jaguar is ahead of projections on their X-type. The original projections where to sell 3,000/mo and they are averaging 3,600/mo in the U.S. This is amazing when you consider that most dealer around here are stuck with many C-coupes in inventory and are giving them away.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:41 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

Actually Jaguar is ahead of projections on their X-type. The original projections where to sell 3,000/mo and they are averaging 3,600/mo in the U.S. This is amazing when you consider that most dealer around here are stuck with many C-coupes in inventory and are giving them away.
Are you sure you actually own a coupe??? you really are starting to sound like a jaguar/Ford troll on this board. For your information, Jag sold 3,084 x-types for april, and which actually shows a decline in sales from previous months this year. Mb has moved 14588 sedans this year, down about 300 from 2001 YTD and another 5,188 coupes this year too. Not too shaby.

In fact, Mb of P, Keenan and R&s have a pretty low inventory of coupes, under 10, and most of those are strippers. Reedmans on the other hand has lease offers on the x-type that are lower then my insurance on the coupe

You like the x-type fine, but why do you have to pan the coupe when you talk about it??? if you really regret buying an Mb so much, trade it in for an X.... Everyone knows fords are more reliable then MBs anyway! :p

sales data from autosite, Powering eAutomotive Research

Last edited by greg230; 06-04-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
as for me being a JAGUAR owner not an X type (luckly) i just dont under stand why everyone has to say Jaguar/Ford ford just owns it. so just because the X type is on the contour chasis it does not make the whole Jaguar company to have ford said so much. its basicly like all of us saying Mercedes/Chrystler but we dont usually say that do we? just because one car might suck to some of us does not mean that we need to put down the whole company and to me putting the word FORD in with JAGUAR just sounds like people are making the whole company sound like crap.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
as for me being a JAGUAR owner not an X type (luckly) i just dont under stand why everyone has to say Jaguar/Ford ford just owns it. so just because the X type is on the contour chasis it does not make the whole Jaguar company to have ford said so much. its basicly like all of us saying Mercedes/Chrystler but we dont usually say that do we? just because one car might suck to some of us does not mean that we need to put down the whole company and to me putting the word FORD in with JAGUAR just sounds like people are making the whole company sound like crap.
agree, agree, couldn't agree more

i don't think most ppl know that Jaguar was already owned by Ford back in early 90s when those square headlight XJ6 and XJS was still in production.

and the X-type is Jaguar's first attempt to build a small compact car to compete with the C, A4, and the 3-series.

BTW the only thing X-type share with new Mondeo is the platform. and that platform is very solid. even that last generation Mondeo chassis was used to run the BTCChampionship

Last edited by FrankW; 06-05-2002 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
This might be true, but I still think that both the X type and the S type bear to close a
resemblance to Fords. I don't see this resemblance between Chrysler and MB, although I know that Chrysler is starting to use some MB products in their production (better this way than the other way around).

I saw a S type and a Taurus parked next to each other, and from the back, they looked almost like the same car.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After all, many believe the C class is not a real mercedes and something cooked up by Chrysler, so I guess it's only natural to beat up on the runt of the litter.

I've made my decision to get an MB (even if it's not a real one) and that's what I have to live with until the lemon law kicks in or the warranttee runs out. It's not my fault that they produce defective cars. 3 times in for thermostat problems, 3 times in for stereo related problems (1 was my fault), once in for power window problems and it's a 2002. It's not sour grapes, it's sour Mercedes! Maybe you are one of the lucky ones, hey Fiat made a few gems also.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
After all, many believe the C class is not a real mercedes and something cooked up by Chrysler, so I guess it's only natural to beat up on the runt of the litter.
I thought that the C Class came out in 1995 and the MB Chrysler merger was in 1998? Unless you're talking about the new design, or just the sport-coupe.

I've made my decision to get an MB (even if it's not a real one) and that's what I have to live with until the lemon law kicks in or the warranttee runs out. It's not my fault that they produce defective cars. 3 times in for thermostat problems, 3 times in for stereo related problems (1 was my fault), once in for power window problems and it's a 2002. It's not sour grapes, it's sour Mercedes! Maybe you are one of the lucky ones, hey Fiat made a few gems also.
I bet when you purchased your car, you went around to all of the dealers looking for the car that had the most problems. Just think of how unhappy you would be if you actually got a car that had no problems. I don't think anyone that bought a mercedes and ended up with little or no problems is "lucky", but is more average. I'm getting the feeling from reading your posts that it's not sour grapes, OR sour Mercedes, but rather sour Buellwinkle (and I always thought it was Rocky that was the sour one).
Old 06-05-2002, 04:31 PM

Hey Buellwinkle - did you ever consider selling your car and then taking public transit ? Then we could listen to you complain all about the problems with buses.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
That is so wrong its not even funny.

Daimler Benz purchases Chrylser. Chrysler is just an asset of Daimler Benz. Chrysler had and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the C class. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

The X type, on the other hand, is made of 35% Ford parts.

General Motors owns Hughes Electronics which owns DirecTV. Saying that a C class (or ANY current Mercedes) has any connection with Chrysler is like saying DirecTV had input in building the Corvette. There is just no connection (at least with the current MB cars, the future may be different).
Old 06-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by SoCal240/6

That is so wrong its not even funny.

Daimler Benz purchases Chrylser. Chrysler is just an asset of Daimler Benz. Chrysler had and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the C class. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

The X type, on the other hand, is made of 35% Ford parts.

General Motors owns Hughes Electronics which owns DirecTV. Saying that a C class (or ANY current Mercedes) has any connection with Chrysler is like saying DirecTV had input in building the Corvette. There is just no connection (at least with the current MB cars, the future may be different).
Well SoCal240/6 i was waiting for a response form u since u will always find something to dissagree about in just about every thread. but i do disagree with u with what i said had not to much about the X type it is about the whole JAGUAR name all the jaguars cars besides the x type do not hsve ford parts on them. and some newer crystlers i saw will come with the MB head unit and i think someother parts as well, but u wont like if u see all the people that bought crystlers saying there Mercedes/Chrystler has whatever. its good for them but not that impresive for us. All i was trying to actually say is the name of the company is Jaguar just because one car they make had ford parts on there does not mean the whole company needs to be called Jaguar/Ford. if u wanna call the x-type a a-type/Modeno go ahead.

i will be waiting for a response for u on thos one. or should i say another disagreement?
Old 06-05-2002, 10:50 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

Well SoCal240/6 i was waiting for a response form u since u will always find something to dissagree about in just about every thread. but i do disagree with u with what i said had not to much about the X type it is about the whole JAGUAR name all the jaguars cars besides the x type do not hsve ford parts on them. and some newer crystlers i saw will come with the MB head unit and i think someother parts as well, but u wont like if u see all the people that bought crystlers saying there Mercedes/Chrystler has whatever. its good for them but not that impresive for us. All i was trying to actually say is the name of the company is Jaguar just because one car they make had ford parts on there does not mean the whole company needs to be called Jaguar/Ford. if u wanna call the x-type a a-type/Modeno go ahead.

i will be waiting for a response for u on thos one. or should i say another disagreement?
actually Chrysler merged with Daimler Benz. if Chrysler was bought by Benz Daimler wouldn't bother to change the corporate name to Daimler Chrysler.

X-type is not the only Jag that share parts with Ford. S-type is the first product that shares the platform and engine base with the Lincoln LS series. both the V6 and V8 in the S-type share the same engine body with the V6 and V8 in the Lincoln LS. the only thing different is the header of the V6 and V8 on the LS does not have the valve timing system. the AJ-V8 is developed by Jag, but the AJ-V6 is developed by Ford (i think the AJ-V6 is based on the duratec V6 )

IMO so what if they share parts. a Jag is still a Jag, they are still being produced in Britain. if people call Jaguar a Ford then they have to call Aston Martin a Ford as well. Saab a GM, Volvo a Ford, Lamborghini a VW, Bentley a VW, and Rolls Royce a BMW, just to name a few.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by FrankW

actually Chrysler merged with Daimler Benz. if Chrysler was bought by Benz Daimler wouldn't bother to change the corporate name to Daimler Chrysler.

X-type is not the only Jag that share parts with Ford. S-type is the first product that shares the platform and engine base with the Lincoln LS series. both the V6 and V8 in the S-type share the same engine body with the V6 and V8 in the Lincoln LS. the only thing different is the header of the V6 and V8 on the LS does not have the valve timing system. the AJ-V8 is developed by Jag, but the AJ-V6 is developed by Ford (i think the AJ-V6 is based on the duratec V6 )

IMO so what if they share parts. a Jag is still a Jag, they are still being produced in Britain. if people call Jaguar a Ford then they have to call Aston Martin a Ford as well. Saab a GM, Volvo a Ford, Lamborghini a VW, Bentley a VW, and Rolls Royce a BMW, just to name a few.
ohh yea i forgot about the s type how it shares the patform with the s type. well not to many of the parts on my jaguar (XK8) are from fords. maybe some but not much.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exactly Frank, I don't know why these people get so hung up on who made the car and brand names. I could care less if MB made the coupe or if Jaguar made the coupe or if Honda made the coupe, it still a nice car and so is the X-type.

I think SoCal240/6 is upset because his car was made in Brazil by girls in tight bikinis on Impanema beach and all the Coupe and X-types are made in Europe... I bet he's still shaking the sand out of his car....
Old 06-05-2002, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my car can kick your cars ***

sorry guys.. had to add something on this thread. i don't feel too strongly about this topic .. it doesn't matter what is mede out of what.. as long as it runs and satisfies my needs
Old 06-05-2002, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So what you are saying Fuzzo, since your car is a POS, MB's don't satisfy your needs or doesn't run right (actuall only right). Have you considered an X-Type, nice reliable cars that run straight!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So what you are saying Fuzzo, since your car is a POS, MB's don't satisfy your needs or doesn't run right (actuall only right). Have you considered an X-Type, nice reliable cars that run straight!
LOL

actually I have considered an X type but never driven it. i'm not crazy about the interior layout.

on a brighter note.. i got a call from teh dealer.. supposedly they fixed the problem and test drove it and it is all fine now... so we'll see tomorrow
it may lose the POS-ness....
Old 06-05-2002, 11:31 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6

Dude, throw in a little punctuation in every now and then. I can't respond to you because I don't have all day to try to figure out what you are even trying to say.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
SoCal240/6

I am still waiting to see a photo of the car that your signature line describes as a C 240 "Cabriolet".

I haven't seen a 4 door convertible since the early 1960s Lincoln Continental
Old 06-06-2002, 01:40 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
I just call it a "Cabriolet" for that extra panache and cache. Sounds so fancy, so "Grey Poupon." And maybe I'll get more money for it when I sell it someday.

I figure there is nothing wrong with that. Me calling my
C240 a Cabriolet is no worse or wrong than MB calling a Hatchback a "Coupe!"
Old 06-06-2002, 10:03 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally posted by FrankW
While it was initially advertised as a "merger", MB did, in fact, buy out Chrysler. Chrysler personnel have been removed from most if not all board positions and the American side has very little say in the overall management in the corporation.

The Daimler-Chrysler name was to show that the companies are still two business entities (no shared platforms, etc.) and, possibly, not to alienate potential customers in North America.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:05 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
The funny thing about all this is Ford is getting ready to sell Aston and this week they let Wolfgang head of the premiere auto group go. Also they decided Lincoln didn't belong in the Premier fold so they put it back into the North American FoMoCo Segment.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:15 AM

03 W8 Passat Variant
Ford owns Hertz
Old 06-06-2002, 12:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by benzomonterey

Ford owns Hertz
Yes, you are correct!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:05 PM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
Me calling my C240 a Cabriolet is no worse or wrong than MB calling a Hatchback a "Coupe!"
A coupe is generally defined as a a car with an enclosed body and a max of 2 doors... sometimes used to signify it's shorter than the sedan of the same model. I've never seen anything mentioning that a coupe can't have a hatch. In any case, this is arguably a legitimate use of the word. So what's your definition of the word?

A cabriolet is generally refered to as an automobile resembling a coupe but with a folding top. While people can argue the difference between a convertible and a cabriolet and a spyder and a spider and a roadster and whatever, cabriolets always have folding tops.

But hey, call your car whatever you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X-type