C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

X-type

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1963 220Sb
X-type

I just went by the Collection which is a dealership down here in Miami with Ferrari, Audi, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Porsche. Anyway I went to jaguar and wanted to check out the x-type, to see what the C's competiion is like, and let me tell you one thing. What a piece of crap!!! The headliner is straight off a Taurus, the fabric is so cheap. The A pillar is lined in plastic not fabric and was hanging off. The rug was sticking out from under the center console, and all the plastic everywhere on the dash felt so cheap, or ford-like. I wouldn't pay any money for that thing.. I sat in the S-type also, and that was too far behind the X-type in cheapness.... just my thoughts
Old 05-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I rented an X-Type from Hertz and I wasn't too impressed either. It DOES have that Ford Taurus look and feel from the inside IMO. Plus, I'm starting to see them all over the place which cheapens the Jaguar image, again IMO.

I have not had the chance to try out the S-Type.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:37 PM
gab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only real Jags are the more expensive XKs and XJs
S type is still half ford half jag
X type is totally a rebadged Ford with added awd
Old 05-31-2002, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I haven't checked them closely, but I have to say, on first inspection I think the package looks nice. There's a "carnival red" one w/ whitish leather interior on display at the mall near my house and it's a looker, IMO.

EDIT: My cousin has an S-Type 4.0 and I rode in it once. I was not impressed. I think the exterior of the S-Type is gorgeous, but the inside and amenities were nothing special.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
Originally posted by gab
The only real Jags are the more expensive XKs and XJs
S type is still half ford half jag
X type is totally a rebadged Ford with added awd
x-type is based on the world-spec mondeo (not the us-spec mondeo)...not the greatest...

hope ford doesn't do that to volvo
Old 05-31-2002, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car, wish I got one instead of the coupe. Friends got one and we drove to Vegas and it's really nice. Way more realiable too!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Buellwinkle

Will someone - PLEASE - buy Buellwinkle a Forduar or a Toyxus so we won't have to see his "whining" anymore? It's just like a hungry hound dog, or maybe a broken record (remember those)?
Old 05-31-2002, 11:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
i never drove the x type but i dont like the looks of it to much especually the back. i have rented the s type 4.0 from hertz it drove good but the inside looked crappy. it still did not even drive close to my XK8 there worlds apart. especually the interior.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Nice car, wish I got one instead of the coupe. Friends got one and we drove to Vegas and it's really nice. Way more realiable too!
Oh yeah sure. Talk with your friends down the road and just see how reliable the x-type really is. Resale on Jags is crap so one would have to believe that as the car gets older its realiability becomes a real issue.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by viper

Oh yeah sure. Talk with your friends down the road and just see how reliable the x-type really is. Resale on Jags is crap so one would have to believe that as the car gets older its realiability becomes a real issue.
Actually he looked at used S-types and resale was really good so he got a new X-type instead. The Jags with the really bad resale are the XJs. After his 3 year lease is up he wants to get a 3 year old XJ. I measure resale value on what leases cost since we can't predict resale for a whole new model. For example if I want a $42K car like the X-type 3.0 or the C320 what would my payments be if all else is equal (terms, down payment, discount, etc). It turns out you can lease the Jag for about $100/month less than the C320. So unless the money factor is incredibly low, the Jag must have the higher residual value, hence better predicted resale value.

As for reliability, Jag is #3 in JDP 5yr dependability survey, MB is #10 (and I think it's too generous). My car has been in 7 times for warranttee repairs, his was in only for an oil change. I think a lot would have to go wrong soon for him to begin to catch up.

So while it may share a few parts with the Mondeo, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Actually it's content is far less Ford than the successful S-type.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Stats vs stats

If you think the C Class is statisticaly unreliable and prone to breakdowns, please check out the ADAC and AvD Pannenstatistik for 2001. The C Class is near the top of the pack for reliability, ahead of Honda Accord (yes, ahead). I like their methodology better than that of JD Power, and what's more, the sample size is FAR larger too (millions of club members' cars, not "random" samples).

Reliability testimonials, while occasionally entertaining, are of no particular significance to others.

Last edited by Mike T.; 06-03-2002 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe the Canadian MBs are more reliable but the MBs I've had in the states were all quirky at best. But I love the car, quirkyness an all. Kinda like a Fiat, you know it's going to break, the excitement is not knowing when, where and how. It's a joy that many Honda, Lexus, Toyota or Jaguar owner will never achieve.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:28 PM

Maybe the Canadian MBs are more reliable but the MBs I've had in the states were all quirky at best.
Of course the Canadian MB's are more reliable - they only ship the zero defect ones to Canada. MB Canada is looking out for us.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course the Canadian MB's are more reliable - they only ship the zero defect ones to Canada. MB Canada is looking out for us.
Yeah, but what's the fun in that!!
Old 06-02-2002, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

maybe i should just move to canada... wait it's colder than VA up there... i'll pass....

wonder how the MB quality in the bahamas is
Old 06-02-2002, 11:29 PM

2002 C230k
A friend of mine bought a new X-type about 3 weeks ago. The morning after he bought it he went out to start it up, and the car would not start! He did not even have it for 12 hours and it already broke down. Something with the fusebox.

Nice looking car though.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Fuzzo
maybe i should just move to canada... wait it's colder than VA up there... i'll pass....
Depends where in Canada. Vancouver is really nice in the summer, not too hot and the winters are far from harsh and milder than DC area winters.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Depends where in Canada. Vancouver is really nice in the summer, not too hot and the winters are far from harsh and milder than DC area winters.
the next place i move to should not have any winter at all (preferably) I am definitely not a cold weather person... that's why i'm looking forward to going back home (home is Sri Lanka.. right on the equator...a bit on the warm side but i love it)
Old 06-02-2002, 11:59 PM

C230K
Sorry Beullwinkle, i have to agree with everybody else. I took a look at the X type and it is indeed a piece of crap. I didn't drive it, but i sat in it and got a good sense of the quality of the vehicle. The interior sucks. It just doesn't have the finese that MB has. You know, the attention to detail. The materials in the jag seem of a lower quality and just don't compare to MB. As far as reliability, i always thought jags were pretty bad, at least thats what the word on the streets has always been.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Vince
Sorry Beullwinkle, i have to agree with everybody else. I took a look at the X type and it is indeed a piece of crap. I didn't drive it, but i sat in it and got a good sense of the quality of the vehicle. The interior sucks. It just doesn't have the finese that MB has. You know, the attention to detail. The materials in the jag seem of a lower quality and just don't compare to MB. As far as reliability, i always thought jags were pretty bad, at least thats what the word on the streets has always been.
that was true with the older jags but the new ones have changed as far as the x type i dont really count that as a jag more of a ford. but my jag has great reliablilty i go everywhere with it never been to the dealer except for brakes and oil changes.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i sat in a X-type 3.0 once when they first came out...i don't think that their interior material quality is bad; i only felt that the interior parts were loosly put together. it shakes here and there especially the door panel. other than that it is a great car to have IMO.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by FrankW
i sat in a X-type 3.0 once when they first came out...i don't think that their interior material quality is bad; i only felt that the interior parts were loosly put together. it shakes here and there especially the door panel. other than that it is a great car to have IMO.
You are being overly generous FrankW. The X-type is a repackaged Ford Modeo. They are not selling well and dealers are having a hard time trying to move this vehicle. I remember reading that Jaguar is looking at bringing out a non-AWD version to bring the price down. They are getting desperate.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car

You are being overly generous FrankW. The X-type is a repackaged Ford Modeo. They are not selling well and dealers are having a hard time trying to move this vehicle. I remember reading that Jaguar is looking at bringing out a non-AWD version to bring the price down. They are getting desperate.
I don't have any data as to how they are selling, but I sure do see a lot of them on the road. Certainly more than the C Sedan, or Coupe. Of couse.... I know that Hertz has them in their rental fleet.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:57 PM

03 W8 Passat Variant
I personally thought the car had a stunning old money style interior. The gauge cluster looks like clocks vs the coupe that has in my opinion very GM looking gauges and colors. That is the one thing I thought showed little class was when MB changed out their gauge clusters. The new E is beautiful though. In fact I find it really sad that the gauge cluster in the new G is the same one in the C.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by benzomonterey
I personally thought the car had a stunning old money style interior. The gauge cluster looks like clocks vs the coupe that has in my opinion very GM looking gauges and colors. That is the one thing I thought showed little class was when MB changed out their gauge clusters. The new E is beautiful though. In fact I find it really sad that the gauge cluster in the new G is the same one in the C.
I second that statement. I like the rounder ones better. The new E is nice!

Actually, I'm kind of glad that the G has the same. At least we're not the only ones.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X-type