C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Mod Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Mod Questions

What are the mods that are currently availible for the C230? I am used to driving cars over 300 HP my whole life and the C230 seems very weak. However, being an avid hot-rodder I know every engine has potentential, especially ones supercharged from the factory.

Is there a smaller S/C pulley availible for the C230? If so that is a quick and cheap way to pick up about 20 HP for $60 or so. This is usually a good mod because dealers usually don't notice it. What about header wise? A pulley, header, cooler t-stat, exhaust and intake should net a good 240HP. What do you guys think?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Try this thread:

LINK

This topic has been discussed several times.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Try this thread:

LINK

This topic has been discussed several times.
I think enough is enough with smart-*** remarks about searching the forum. I did search the forum. Nothing I searched for answered even half of the questions this gentleman is asking for. Now I'd like to know the answers to these questions too for my C230K SC.

Please guys, answer this guy's question.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the year, picking up 20HP is going to cost you slightly more than $60 (heck, that won't even cover the sales tax in most states). For the 2002 you can get a pulley kit for as little as $650 and get about 25-30HP. For the 2003 and newer, Evosport has a pulley that's in development, Kleemann, Carlson and Renntech have kits in the $1,500-2,500 range that should give you the 20HP you are looking for. The next 10HP or so will also cost in that range for a complete exhaust system including the header/cat combo on that car. But you would have found plenty if you searched for pulley, honest.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by jedcred
I think enough is enough with smart-*** remarks about searching the forum. I did search the forum. Nothing I searched for answered even half of the questions this gentleman is asking for. Now I'd like to know the answers to these questions too for my C230K SC.

If you tired of smart-*** remarks stop posting stupid questions...like Buell posted all of this info could have been found out with a simple search of the keyword "pulley".....
Old 01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by Amit1
I am used to driving cars over 300 HP my whole life and the C230 seems very weak. However, being an avid hot-rodder ...
If you're on a budget, get a used C32 or just move on to some other brand. Non-AMG C classes aren't powerhouses of HP and you'll regret your purchase sooner or later.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by jedcred

Actually yes these questions have been answered and this question asked more times than you have posts in the last 20 years! But as Buell stated it is far more than $60 for a pulley. If he had searched or you had searched you would have seen that Kleemann is developing both a Header and a crank pulley kit for the M271 engine. Also there are 4-6 pulley kits for the M111 engine. People have tried several flavors of intercooler as well. No one has proof of what gains that can be had on the M271 either. Be the first to go do it if you must, but do before and after dyno's so we have some solid proof. Also it has been posted hundreds of times as well that the M271 is already near the SC's peak in it's stock form. There is even a guy who Turbo'ed his M111 to get near 300 Hp. Simple searches find this info. You get responses like this because those of us that have actually been here for a while have answered this very same question in greater detail far more times than we would all like to remember. Sorry but Searching is the first thing you should do if you can't take the responses suggesting you search first!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Its true, I didn't search for "pulley". I searched for c230 mods, c230 chip, but not c230 pulley until someone mentioned it. Cut me some slack; you miss things sometimes.

However, I'm still not pleased with the automatic 'search the forum' answer. You think the link provided sends you to a useful mod or pulley thread, and instead it sends you to the thread that tells you off for not searching the forums carefully! That's quite useless, if you ask me.

It would be much more useful to provide a few links, like this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=c230+pulley

http://kleemann.dk/site/Main/tuningp...erformancekits

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=c230+pulley

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=c230+ecu

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=c230+ecu

Search terms: c230 pulley, c230 ecu, kleemann (google)

That'd be a much nicer, friendlier, less lazy way of helping new or inexperienced forum users. Plus, it shows everybody that you did the search and it came up with some result, instead of just assuming the correct result is there. That took me all of three minutes. Last time I searched I didn't search pulley, so I didn't come up with anything remotely useful. Maybe if we didn't have so many quick-draw STF people around here I wouldn't have to have to be so didactic about this.

Last edited by jedcred; 01-27-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Myself I did not click that link that was first posted so I had no idea where it was pointing when I posted. On a side not check out http://www.mbklasse.com/forums/ as well as I think there is more info there about the Kleemann header's they are working on and the Pulley/ECU kit as well.

Also why I posted other usefull info with my first response!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
I thought I was very cordial and NICE about the way approached hinting towards a "search". At least much more than MANY others have been, so if I hurt the person's feelings or made him/her feel insignificant or incompotent, I apologize.

Now, if YOU interpreted my response as "smart ***" or "mean", then that is YOUR problem, not the person who ORIGINALLY POSTED THE THREAD!!!!!

What you need to do is RELAX! There are MANY people that are unfamiliar with the "How To's" when it comes to message boards and I was merely pointing towards the "search", which in my opinion is VERY USEFUL. Even if you just do a search for "AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS", that will give you MORE THAN ENOUGH TO READ.

Look at your posts above? Do you really think that the people who have been on this board for SEVERAL YEARS really want to discuss something that has been discussed SEVERAL TIMES over the past 4/5 YEARS?

You are entitled to your opinion on how things should be handled, but look, I wasn't trying to be NASTY or DISTASTEFUL about how I was elluding to a search. That wasn't my intention AT ALL.

I'm fairly new to these boards as well, however if you look at my STICKIED THREAD ( LINK: BODY KITS ), you'll see that I am VERY HELPFUL when it comes to providing information on our cars.

Also, YOU DIDN'T EVEN START THE *** THREAD! How 'bout you allow the person to answer for themselves. Maybe that particular person didn't even take it as personal as YOU did.

Obviously, by the response you gave above that you decided to be helpful and SHOW the person the different types of searches that you have come up with! See, the "search" DOES work! Hey, the person mentioned "pulley" in the first post. If you do a "search" for "pulley" ALONE, look how many hits come up:

LINK: "PULLEY" SEARCH

Now, are you telling us that it is EVERYBODY'S job on this forum to hand everything to Newbie's on a "silver platter". Wait a Freakin' second, I'm a freakin' newbie and I had NO PROBLEM doing searches on this forum!

Give it a rest, go to bed and enjoy your car!
Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what's with all the tude around here these days?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
A FAQ sticky at the top of this forum would alleviate a lot of these repeatative questions.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Banville
A FAQ sticky at the top of this forum would alleviate a lot of these repeatative questions.
Start the thread and ask the Admins to sticky.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:33 PM

2003 c230k
renntech has ....

ECU mapping,pullies and exhaust mod something like 2200.oo 40-60 HP? 225hp
ecu mapping,pullies for 1700.oo 219hp

i have no info as if this is rwhp or not
renntechmercedes.com
Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM

2003 c230k
this seems to get a far better review
http://www.germancarfans.com/tuners....ercedes/1.html
Old 01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Okay, okay - this was my first post - no need to get all riled up about it. No offense taken, but lets try to be civil. Sorry if I ask any repetitive questions below - but a few are fairly focused so go with me here. All the questions below pertain to the 2005 C230K SS.

Is there something special about these pulley's that makes them cost so much? Are we talking about putting a smaller S/C pulley on, or a larger crank pulley? What is the stock boost, the boost with currently availible pulleys, and the max boost the S/C can effectively produce? www.pulleyboys.com makes some good pulleys for fair prices, has anybody checked with them on manufacturing them for us? My father has plenty of manufacturing experience and a masters in mechanical engineering. I am a medical student so I am pretty low on time now, but in undergrad I gained quite a bit of custom fabrication expereince between getting drunk and the occasional studying. Together we have completed plenty of high quality projects - and amazing things can be done with a little creative thinking. I am not talking about rigging up some junk-box, I have very high standards and an eye for perfection.

There are plenty of blown and turboed 4 bangers from present to twenty years ago (remember omni GLH ) that can be made very very fast for not so much money, while maintaining drivability. Now I am digressing, sorry.

But, a pulley is not a complex thing - just type in the parameters in a CNC machine and voila. The prices you are mentioning are what you would expect to pay for some one-off model.

Here are my cars below and what I have done to them:

For my daily driver, a 2004 Buick Regal GS Supercharged, it started out with 240HP in a fairly large luxurious car. For $60 I purchased a smaller diameter supercharger pulley, installed it myself and the boost went up from 7psi to about 11psi. Of course I fabbed up a custom 3" downpipe and complete 3" exhaust system to alleviate the backpressure for about $400. I also fabbed a custom intake for about $90 including conical K&N. I put in colder plugs to handle the increased boost, along with a colder 180 T-stat. Perhaps a few other minor mods I didn't mention, but the car is still under warranty because all the mods look and sound stock, except for the S/C while on WOT. Also the car now runs high 13 second quarter miles and is well over 300HP and still gets 28mpg highway. This is an example of efficient and clean hot-rodding. Around 70HP for $700.

I have spent a lot more money on other cars, but from my experience cars that are blown from the factory are fairly cheap to modify for the first 50HP at least.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:29 PM

2003 c230k
price is based on :
demand
research need to get it right
cost of materials
"class" or prestige of the car its going in (i feel)

ex; an eaton charger and pulley upgrade on a honda or mazda will cost 2500-2900. The pulley going on roughly the same charger costed us?? 1300-1700??

so hope that helped,
bryan
Old 01-27-2005, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem is that people aren't willing to disamantle their superchargers and extract the pressed on pulley and press a new one on. I know they do this on other cars but other cars have more room to do it while the supercharger is in the car. So the alternative is to change the crank pulley/damper and some others like the waterpump. Then factor in the ecu changes and that doubles the price. Finally, figure how many can a tuner sell per year. I doubt a tuner can move 100 kits, heck, I doubt all tuners combined can move 100 kits. Then look at their risk, it can cost $5-7K to rebuild your engine or $3K just to replace the supercharger, that can wipe out their profits in one claim (that's why some tuners put huge disclaimers on their product, avoid these, they either stand behind their product or they don't).
Old 01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
The problem is that people aren't willing to disamantle their superchargers and extract the pressed on pulley and press a new one on. I know they do this on other cars but other cars have more room to do it while the supercharger is in the car. So the alternative is to change the crank pulley/damper and some others like the waterpump. Then factor in the ecu changes and that doubles the price. Finally, figure how many can a tuner sell per year. I doubt a tuner can move 100 kits, heck, I doubt all tuners combined can move 100 kits. Then look at their risk, it can cost $5-7K to rebuild your engine or $3K just to replace the supercharger, that can wipe out their profits in one claim (that's why some tuners put huge disclaimers on their product, avoid these, they either stand behind their product or they don't).
Don't forget to factor in the idiot factor.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Amit1
Okay, okay - this was my first post - no need to get all riled up about it. No offense taken, but lets try to be civil. Sorry if I ask any repetitive questions below - but a few are fairly focused so go with me here. All the questions below pertain to the 2005 C230K SS.

Is there something special about these pulley's that makes them cost so much? Are we talking about putting a smaller S/C pulley on, or a larger crank pulley? What is the stock boost, the boost with currently availible pulleys, and the max boost the S/C can effectively produce? www.pulleyboys.com makes some good pulleys for fair prices, has anybody checked with them on manufacturing them for us? My father has plenty of manufacturing experience and a masters in mechanical engineering. I am a medical student so I am pretty low on time now, but in undergrad I gained quite a bit of custom fabrication expereince between getting drunk and the occasional studying. Together we have completed plenty of high quality projects - and amazing things can be done with a little creative thinking. I am not talking about rigging up some junk-box, I have very high standards and an eye for perfection.

There are plenty of blown and turboed 4 bangers from present to twenty years ago (remember omni GLH ) that can be made very very fast for not so much money, while maintaining drivability. Now I am digressing, sorry.

But, a pulley is not a complex thing - just type in the parameters in a CNC machine and voila. The prices you are mentioning are what you would expect to pay for some one-off model.

Here are my cars below and what I have done to them:

For my daily driver, a 2004 Buick Regal GS Supercharged, it started out with 240HP in a fairly large luxurious car. For $60 I purchased a smaller diameter supercharger pulley, installed it myself and the boost went up from 7psi to about 11psi. Of course I fabbed up a custom 3" downpipe and complete 3" exhaust system to alleviate the backpressure for about $400. I also fabbed a custom intake for about $90 including conical K&N. I put in colder plugs to handle the increased boost, along with a colder 180 T-stat. Perhaps a few other minor mods I didn't mention, but the car is still under warranty because all the mods look and sound stock, except for the S/C while on WOT. Also the car now runs high 13 second quarter miles and is well over 300HP and still gets 28mpg highway. This is an example of efficient and clean hot-rodding. Around 70HP for $700.

I have spent a lot more money on other cars, but from my experience cars that are blown from the factory are fairly cheap to modify for the first 50HP at least.
Glad you didn't take offense to my 1st reply, Amit1. I was definitely just trying to be civil and kindly inform you about the search and because it was your first post, it was my fault that I assumed that you were a "newbie" that didn't know how to search.

But, I'm definitely glad that you are interested in looking for more engine modification options, as that is always VERY welcome.

I say, if you can do it (or afford to do it, in the case of owning a Benz), then by all means I support your efforts!

Sounds like you have a lot of experience in auto modification and you seem to be very informed with regard to that. Enjoy your car and welcome to the boards!