C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

H&R Cupkit on C230??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C230SS
H&R Cupkit on C230??

I've noticed that some of you here with C230 are using H&R cupkit to lower your cars. I had a H&R cupkit on my previous car too, which I liked the handling very much so I'll looking to get a set of those (probably second hand, since I don't want to spend too much)
Anyway, I've checked H&R web site for their application but I don't see it available to C230, so for the ones that has the H&R cupkit for C230, which kit did you get?? C240 / C320??
I'm no expert in suspension stuff but it doesn't sound right to me since C230 is a 4 cylinder while the C240 / C320 is a V6 which is much heavier engine, wouldn't it mess up the handling of the entire car since the suspension is designed for a car with heavier weight?

For the ones that has the kit, can you please help me out on answering some questions for me?
1. Which kit did you get?
2. How much did it lower front and rear with a 17 inch wheel?
3. Is there much improvements on the handling? (My previous car is a GTi and it definitely handles better with the H&R)

Thanks,

Russell
Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
When I bought mine I was told the one they sell is universal for C Classes, regardless of the engine. I noticed a slight difference in ride height between my friend's C320 and my C230, but I ended up cutting my front spring by 1/2 coil to even out the wheel well gap so now it sits just right (with no bouncing, as some forum members would lead you to believe). Since I got my car before they added the shorter springs, the drop was VERY significant in the front (at least 2 inches), but I assume for newer models with lower factory ride height the drop will be much less. I don't notice any specific improvement in handling, but I don't push my car very hard either. I'd say it rides slightly stiffer than stock (in a good way), but the body roll is still there. I plan to upgrade to stiffer sway bars in the future to alleviate this problem.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Blake P
I noticed a slight difference in ride height between my friend's C320 and my C230, but I ended up cutting my front spring by 1/2 coil to even out the wheel well gap so now it sits just right (with no bouncing, as some forum members would lead you to believe).
Blake, some members would actually be correct in saying this, but it usually is in connection with "stock springs" vs. "aftermarket" spring.

In essence, the reason why a lot of shops will not cut springs is due to it not being an "exact" science, so basically, there is a possibility that the springs will settle at slightly different ride heights. Stock springs, with exception to a few performance cars out there, are usually designed for "comfort" and not necessarily performance. Companies continually try to find an even balance between the two, but is very difficult to keep a soft ride and at the same time enhance handling.

The reason why "aftermarket" springs don't get as affected by "cutting" is because they are designed for more performance and do not have as much travel or recoil as a stock spring would. When I had my Mazda MX-6, I cut the rear springs 1/2 coil because it gave the car an even drop. I found out later that the cut was not done evenly and when I put on 18" rims, I had major rubbing on the right side.

Either way, it's just not recommended to cut springs that are designed purposely to be at a certain ride height, however, it is possible to do it with success on aftermarket springs. Most companies that do cut springs if requested, will normally give a warning that it potentially could be slightly off when the cut is done. Just gotta make sure that the car has the same ride height on both sides, and it should be alright.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:39 PM

05 C230SS
Originally Posted by Blake P
When I bought mine I was told the one they sell is universal for C Classes, regardless of the engine.
I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything but I just took a look in H&R web site, the cutkit is "universal" for C240 and C320 only
since when I looked @ the sport springs, C240 and C320 share the same part number while C230 has a different part number even for their springs.

Does anyone here with a 2005 C230SS has H&R cupkit? I just want the car to have a decent drop and I don't want to get the kit and end up having cutting the springs just in case if I will end up with different ride height on both side.

Thanks,

Russell
Old 02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Mr. Leng
I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything but I just took a look in H&R web site, the cutkit is "universal" for C240 and C320 only
since when I looked @ the sport springs, C240 and C320 share the same part number while C230 has a different part number even for their springs.

Does anyone here with a 2005 C230SS has H&R cupkit? I just want the car to have a decent drop and I don't want to get the kit and end up having cutting the springs just in case if I will end up with different ride height on both side.

Thanks,

Russell
When I was considering getting the Cup Kit for my 2004.5, I called H&R directly and asked them if the cup kit is in fact compatible (based on exactly what you mentioned above) and they assured me that it would fit. The chassis of the w203 is the same regardless of model type (i.e. 240/320/c32/c55/c230k). I also called several "performance shops" and distributors of H&R products and they also assured me that the cup kit would fit. The reason that there are different part numbers is because the "part numbers" you are referring to are specified to H&R products. The part # available for the 230k (that you are referring to) is probably for the Sport Springs, which is a totally different part from the cup kit. The cup kit is a combination spring/shock set up that has a set drop and built in shocks (both non-adjustable). The sport springs will ONLY replace the stock springs, not the stock shocks.

When there's any reference to "cutting" springs, it's not that the ride height would be "drastically" different, but very minimal (unless the shop you go to just doesn't know how to measure properly). Only problem is that, since it's not an "exact" science to cut the springs, it is really a toss up on weather the cuts that are made (however much percentage of the coil is cut) will come out matching perfectly. In a lot of cases, even if a shop measures correctly, the cuts that are made may come out slightly off (we're talking mm/cm).
Old 02-24-2005, 07:36 PM

05 C230SS
Thx for clearing things out to me, do you have any pic of the car with the cutkit before the springs is cut??

Originally Posted by drexappeal
The reason that there are different part numbers is because the "part numbers" you are referring to are specified to H&R products. The part # available for the 230k (that you are referring to) is probably for the Sport Springs, which is a totally different part from the cup kit. The cup kit is a combination spring/shock set up that has a set drop and built in shocks (both non-adjustable). The sport springs will ONLY replace the stock springs, not the stock shocks.
Yes, the part number that I am referencing to is for the sport springs, which I know the shock is not included . The H&R web site leads me to think that it's not "right" to use the C240/C320 cup kit is because since their part number for the springs is different, it may probably means that it may not that good to use cupkit that is designed for a C240/C320. The part that their web site most confused me is that they don't offer H&R cut kit for C230
Old 02-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Thx for clearing things out to me, do you have any pic of the car with the cutkit before the springs is cut??

Yes, the part number that I am referencing to is for the sport springs, which I know the shock is not included . The H&R web site leads me to think that it's not "right" to use the C240/C320 cup kit is because since their part number for the springs is different, it may probably means that it may not that good to use cupkit that is designed for a C240/C320. The part that their web site most confused me is that they don't offer H&R cut kit for C230
No pics with the cup kit installed. I never purchased the cup kit because I decided to wait to get fully adjustable coilovers (choice between CARLSSON, BILSTEIN and TEIN - in development).

It has nothing to do with the cup kit being "not that good to use" for the c230. That's not the case at all. In fact, you can even call H&R themselves. They will probably tell you the same exact thing they told me. There may be MULTIPLE reasons they didn't add the cup kit as an available suspension change to the c230. Marketability is one of them (i.e. why would they market the cup kit for the c230 when it already has "sport springs" that the 240 doesn't have and the 320 only has if a "sport" model is purchased).

Main thing to remember, no matter what, is that the W203 is the chassis code for ALL MY01 and up (240/320/c32/230). The only one that would make partial sense to "not fit" on would be the c55, BUT even that has the same chassis code = W203 (only difference is the longer front end to fit the v8 engine, as far as I understand for the c55).
Old 02-25-2005, 04:33 AM

05 C230SS
Thanks a lot for the explaination~! I get it now
Just another quick question though, what does MY01 means??

Thanks again,

Russell
Old 02-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Thanks a lot for the explaination~! I get it now
Just another quick question though, what does MY01 means??

Thanks again,

Russell
Model Year 2001
Old 02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Well......I did some research on my own. From my understanding.....even if you install the cup kit on a c230ss....you wouldn't get the 2" in the front.....since the c240 is 100lb more than the c230.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Before drop...C230 SUV package!
Attached Thumbnails H&R Cupkit on C230??-mb2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2005, 04:57 PM

05 C230SS
Before drop...C230 SUV package!
LOL~!! Here's a pic of my SS (in kinda SUV style too) with the winter wheel on, sorry for the bad quality pic and my dirty car, that the only pic I can find.
Attached Thumbnails H&R Cupkit on C230??-203.jpg  

Last edited by Mr. Leng; 02-25-2005 at 05:01 PM.