Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
What's the deal with the optional rear 60/40 rear seat? Should be Std >

What's the deal with the optional rear 60/40 rear seat? Should be Std

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What's the deal with the optional rear 60/40 rear seat? Should be Std

 
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
What's the deal with the optional rear 60/40 rear seat? Should be Std

So after reading some posts in the W204 threads some of you posted comments that you got the optional 60/40 rear seat. Well I didnít think about it until reading that this morning. I remember the salesperson showing us this feature on the demo car, and assumed $35K car its standard fare. In fact itís one of those things you remember when you first looked at your car and donít think about again until you are at Lowes with a really long piece of drainage pipe or replacing a floor mop. At any rate as soon as the wifey got home with the new Benz I ran out popped the trunk, sure enough we donít have the folding rear seat. Why the heck is this even an option? You can get it standard on a base trim Hyundai but not in a $30K+ Benz.

-Ryan
CarGuru is offline  
Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 5,882
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS300
I don't think it would cost them that much more. MB should make them standard. They were not standard on the w204 either
Shake is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:21 AM
  #3  
Almost a Member!
 
PUMes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S6
Get them for free in the A4, but not the 3er(either). What bone head move on the distributors part.
PUMes is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 472
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
I agree it should be standard. But, I would bet that less than half of all W203s have the folding rear seat option. For me, it wasn't a huge deal because I had access to larger vehicles when I needed to haul stuff so I chose to put the money toward other options (speaking for me W203).
ffejalink is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 01:52 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Originally Posted by ffejalink View Post
I agree it should be standard. But, I would bet that less than half of all W203s have the folding rear seat option. For me, it wasn't a huge deal because I had access to larger vehicles when I needed to haul stuff so I chose to put the money toward other options (speaking for me W203).
I agree same here, If I look outside my master bedroom window, in my driveway I can choose from either two base model '07 Toyota Tacoma's or use my toy an '05 F-250 Crew Super Duty FX4 with Powerstroke but.... There are always those instances when you are out away from access of your other vehicles or friends and you've got that one object that wont' quite fit in the back seat or just the trunk.

-Ryan
CarGuru is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550 4MATIC
Here's the problem. Look at the base price of the 2008 C-Class, close to $30,000. Look at the base price over 10 years ago when the W202 came out, close to $30,000. Something has to give if they are keeping the price at the same level all these years. Keep in mind that Mercedes-Benz cars are the cheapest in the US than anywhere in the world. They can't do everything, so they try to put the stuff standard that Americans want and unfortunatly folding rear seat is not something that the majority want.
pmb600 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
GDawgC220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,781
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by PUMes View Post
Get them for free in the A4, but not the 3er(either). What bone head move on the distributors part.
Not just the A4, across the line split fold seats are std.
GDawgC220 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
  #8  
QQQ
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 838
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by CarGuru View Post
So after reading some posts in the W204 threads some of you posted comments that you got the optional 60/40 rear seat. Well I didnít think about it until reading that this morning. I remember the salesperson showing us this feature on the demo car, and assumed $35K car its standard fare. In fact itís one of those things you remember when you first looked at your car and donít think about again until you are at Lowes with a really long piece of drainage pipe or replacing a floor mop. At any rate as soon as the wifey got home with the new Benz I ran out popped the trunk, sure enough we donít have the folding rear seat. Why the heck is this even an option? You can get it standard on a base trim Hyundai but not in a $30K+ Benz.

-Ryan
Yes it is std for all W204 in Canada. Also std for 3er except 323i which is optional.

Just because US$ drops so much in the last few years your $30K is worth much less than same $30K then so something has to go, like rear folding seats, memory seats, keyless go...

Who knows, if US$ drops further, sunroof could become an option one day.

Last edited by QQQ; 08-23-2007 at 01:02 PM.
QQQ is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
Yes it is std for all W204 in Canada. Also std for 3er except 323i which is optional.

Just because US$ drops so much in the last few years your $30K is worth much less than same $30K then so something has to go, like rear folding seats, memory seats, keyless go...

Who knows, if US$ drops further, sunroof could become an option one day.
Sunroof was always an option on the C-Class until the W204.
pmb600 is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 PM
  #10  
QQQ
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 838
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2001 C320
Ah yes you are right.
QQQ is offline  
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 PM
  #11  
Out Of Control!!
 
AsianML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 18,413
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
I've always wondered about the split folding rear seats on a sedan. I like sedans for their closed off feeling from the cargo area. Is it as quiet on the inside with the folding than with the fixed seats?
AsianML is offline  
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
  #12  
QQQ
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 838
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2001 C320
Noise wise I spot no diff between folding and fixed.
QQQ is offline  
Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 307
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C63
Seat Fold

Each additional option adds to the cost. I would rather not have this feature myself. It reduces the structure stiffness of the car. I think Mercedes has been very smart regarding not making many "features" standard. It keeps the cost down.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
TEAShea is offline  
Old 08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
GDawgC220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,781
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by TEAShea View Post
Each additional option adds to the cost. I would rather not have this feature myself. It reduces the structure stiffness of the car. I think Mercedes has been very smart regarding not making many "features" standard. It keeps the cost down.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Are you referring to structural stiffness say when in an accident?

If other car manufacturers can include split fold seats (as well as other standard equip that are options with MB) with comparable costs to MB...just saying.
GDawgC220 is offline  
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by TEAShea View Post
Each additional option adds to the cost. I would rather not have this feature myself. It reduces the structure stiffness of the car. I think Mercedes has been very smart regarding not making many "features" standard. It keeps the cost down.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
I like having things as options, but I wish there were more options: Parktronic, Keyless Go, Memory Seats, etc etc
pmb600 is offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 12:23 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
MercedesFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,258
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
I don't think I've ever seen a C without a sunroof though...
MercedesFTW is offline  
Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 AM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,240
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550 4MATIC
You are right, the sunroof package is one of those packages that almost all dealers order on every car they bought. This is becoming true of the Premium I package, you will rarely see a new Mercedes without a Premium I package now.
pmb600 is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 11:38 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nebraska, USA
Posts: 307
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C63
stiffness

The stiffer the chassis (in terms of flex, bending) the better. Manufacturers stive to build cars with stiff chassis for several reasons - fewer squeeks, better suspension performance, ect. The chassis with the fold down option is fine, but without it, the chassis is even better. When they include the fold down option, they must remove the cross bracing behind the rear seats. This cross bracing stiffens the car in terms of bending a flex. A relatively small thing that most people would not care about or even notice.

TEASha
from Nebraska


Originally Posted by GDawgC220 View Post
Are you referring to structural stiffness say when in an accident?

If other car manufacturers can include split fold seats (as well as other standard equip that are options with MB) with comparable costs to MB...just saying.
TEAShea is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the optional rear 60/40 rear seat? Should be Std


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: