C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Not sure if i should place an order or wait to see if not any recal like the lexus es

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
Not sure if i should place an order or wait to see if not any recal like the lexus es

Not sure on what i should do about the c350. Should i wait till 2008 jan to see if price drops something and to see the reliablilty of this car. Do you think it will any major recall liek the lexus es 350 did with it flaw in the tranny. What do you merc owners now from previous merc you owned or bought. Are they mostly flawless first year or not good to buy the car so early first model I need help deceding.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Not sure on what i should do about the c350. Should i wait till 2008 jan to see if price drops something and to see the reliablilty of this car. Do you think it will any major recall liek the lexus es 350 did with it flaw in the tranny. What do you merc owners now from previous merc you owned or bought. Are they mostly flawless first year or not good to buy the car so early first model I need help deceding.
The 2008 C series hasn't been out long enough for anyone to answer based on facts. Everything will be speculation.

You're minimizing your downside risk by waiting(and your risk drops the longer you wait, but how long?), but that doesn't mean that there will be major problems during the early months (which I haven't heard of any) nor will it mean that problems won't show up a few months later.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have heard that cars built for the E.D. program are usually built better-have less problems. Mine have been flawless, any other input?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I have heard that cars built for the E.D. program are usually built better-have less problems. Mine have been flawless, any other input?
Why? Are they built at a different plant or are each ED orders given a special tag so each guy that works on it knows to build it better?

I'm guessing most ED owners are just more satisfied with their purchase because of the experience of ED and that is reflected in any surveys of MB owners. I'd love to do it myself someday.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:32 AM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
wait one year?

Well, the common wisdom is not to buy a new model car in the first year of its introduction. And common wisdom is usually born out of hard learned lessons.

But, I think a lot of that is also born out of the way cars were made in the 70's and 80's. Quality has gone way up. First year snafu's have gone way down.

With that said, I'd neverthless expect that if anything were to go wrong, it's be between now and, say, March. That's a solid 6 months. Also, by waiting you might see Merc put some features back in (e.g. memory seats) if the clamor gets loud enough. But, that sort of stuff is unlikely until the 2009my, which might not arrive until next Oct/Nov. If you can wait, can't hurt. But then you might a follower instead of a leader, if that sort of thing concerns you.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBTex
Why? Are they built at a different plant or are each ED orders given a special tag so each guy that works on it knows to build it better?

I'm guessing most ED owners are just more satisfied with their purchase because of the experience of ED and that is reflected in any surveys of MB owners. I'd love to do it myself someday.
Actually ED cars do have special tags on the build sheets, and so do US delivery cars. You can tell from a VIN number what country the car was built for, and in the case of the US, whether is was EU or US delivery.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:09 PM

c300
[sarcasm alert]
Do they not have warranties where you live? There's this cool thing here in the United States called a new car manufacturer warranty that's good for 5yr/50k miles after purchase where if you have any problems with the car you can bring it to an authorized dealer service center and they'll repair it for free. Most of them even give you loaner cars to drive while yours is in for service. Might want to check into that in your area. Makes it so you don't have to worry so much. Unless, of course, you wish to use fear of first year problems as an excuse not to make a decision.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Actually ED cars do have special tags on the build sheets, and so do US delivery cars. You can tell from a VIN number what country the car was built for, and in the case of the US, whether is was EU or US delivery.
OK, but does that mean they "build it better" because of that?

Or perhaps that was your original question...do they build it better because of that...
Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was more of a question, I would be interested to know how many people have ED cars and how they compare with the domestic delivery cars. I know mine have been far better than average in terms of reliability. Basically, I have reason to believe that they are built better, but no proof of concept beyond my own garage.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Fair enough...I think intuitively I would have to say no simply because the average joe at the factory would have to intentionally alter how he builds the car based on where it is being delivered. And I can see how taking ED would bolster one's owner satisfaction in the car based on what I've heard of the program.

But I have no first hand experience with it. It'll be interesting to see if others with experience share your impressions....could be another selling point for ED
Old 10-19-2007, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What I think may be the case (and also what I have heard) is that the pre-delivery inspection and testing is much more thorough and meticulous for the ED cars, so any issues then may be corrected prior to delivery.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
That would make some sense. They don't want those cars coming back to the factory with issues after a few days driving around Bavaria...
Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBTex
That would make some sense. They don't want those cars coming back to the factory with issues after a few days driving around Bavaria...
Be careful, Mercedes-Benz is not at all bavarian, that's BMW. Stuttgart is in Baden-Württemberg, making it a schwäbisches car. Say around B-W and you be sure to offend everyone.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Didn't mean to imply that MB was located there....just that I'd gladly take a spin around the area if I took ED. Bimmer haters will just have to deal with it!!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
ED cars better? Hardly.

<<It was more of a question, I would be interested to know how many people have ED cars and how they compare with the domestic delivery cars. I know mine have been far better than average in terms of reliability. Basically, I have reason to believe that they are built better, but no proof of concept beyond my own garage.>>

MB's mass produced cars are like jellybeans, made in the millions and all basically alike. What possible difference could there be?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
ED mo bettah?

<<Why? Are they built at a different plant or are each ED orders given a special tag so each guy that works on it knows to build it better?

I'm guessing most ED owners are just more satisfied with their purchase because of the experience of ED and that is reflected in any surveys of MB owners. I'd love to do it myself someday.>>

You have put your finger on it. Except for the heavy wallet types who "go over" every year or so to bring back the latest.

My Porsche was an ED car and for that reason I put more personal value in it. To this day I carry in the ashtray the entrance ticket to the Monza Autodromo where for about five bucks you could drive the track to your heart's content.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
i bought a first year CLS500 (built in 2005 but was an 06 model)

Broke down on me.. stalled at stop light, shuddered at idle, lurched at a stop light. the engine was junk... but it was soo beautiful.

15000 miles is all it got me.