C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Edmunds Sports Sedan Comparison Test - C350 Sport

Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Post Edmunds Sports Sedan Comparison Test - C350 Sport

Edmunds Sports Sedan Comparison Test

Mercedes-Benz C350 vs. Lexus IS350 vs. Cadillac CTS vs. BMW 335i vs. Infiniti G35S

Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
0-60 MPH - 5.9 Seconds
1/4 Mile - 14.3 @ 97.7 MPH
Braking - 115 FT
Slolam - 68.9 MPH
Skidpad - 0.86g

Old 11-04-2007, 10:41 PM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
last place!

Haha, last place. Which is about right given my weekend test drive of many of listed.

Of course, and especially before I get flamed, I just may place an order tomorrow - on Monday.

Okay, I didn't test drive the c350. But I did the c300. See, if I get it I'm going to get a c300sport 4 matic. I want awd, NE winters are bad enough wihtout it (but not brutal, I'll give that award to the upper midwest). Anyway, from my personal observations, she's slow and a piggy when it comes to performance. And she's second fiddle when it comes to features. Out of my test drives: audi a4, merc c300 sport, subaru spec.b and infiniti g35x (all awd, 4 door), near lux models, I found the subaru spec.b the best performance. COmposed, quick as snot, and fun. Real fun. But, that one is a mid-level sedan with luxo aspirations, and a kick-*** engine/suspension. Still, I felt like I was living in an accord or malibu, or etc. Now the g35x was something nice. With 300hp, it goes fast. and the suspension is reasonably sorted out. And best yet, it has the keyless go with memory function depending on key with real leather (subaru is half leather/half alacantra, while mercedes is mb-tex fake leather with leather as a $1,500 option, and ausi was all leather very nice). The g35x also had a kickign stereo (a bit boomy in the base) and a very nice 3-D type nav, plus a compact flash card slot, not to mention 9.3 gb harddrive free space. THe subaru had a nav, but no cf card, the audi had nav also, but more pedestrian like the subaru, and also had cf card slots, but hidden and not explained very well). generally, I liked all of them, but the audi excelled in none, in my opinion, while the subaru was ***** on, but was otherwise only a nice econobox. Not to take away, but a different breed than the rest.

anyway, with all my talk of the infiniti why not go with it? well, the merc was just smoother. Yes,l I'll get my clock cleaned in any speed race, and no I don't mean street racing. Expect a modded teg or even a modded civic to embarass you. But, the merc just felt nice. The infiniti was quicker, better, best, but just didn't feel composed as well as the merc. t was a bit wobbly in the suspension (but very close to the merc, both of which are heads and tails above a camray, etc., don't get me wrong), and the infiniti was a bit too jerky in its considerable acceleration, even with the 2008 engine remapping they laid on it. But, in a word, it came down to smoothness. That is, for the merc, the sum was greater than the parts. Yes, I'm pissed that I may but a merc and not get keyless go or memory function or speed or a whole bunch of stuff, and by tomorrow I still may buy the infiniti, but the package just fit right for the merc.

I'm coming from a "younger" seat of the pants modded compact which is a blast to drive. But, I want to grow up. Maybe I'm blinded by the three point star, but it was an altogether nice package. Which gets back to the beginning: its last. It ain't the quickest by half a shot, nor the most lux, but its alright in the full sense of the word. Just funny how alright may get me to buy it!

-curt
Old 11-04-2007, 10:49 PM

2008 C350WZ
Thank you very much for the link - interesting to read.

Of all the cars in comparison, the 335i was the car I considered for purchase, albeit for a short while due ot is out-of-my-range cost. I never would have considered the IS350 or G35 (for reasons not worth mentioning), while the Cadillac... well, maybe after I age a few decades.

It's good Edmunds editor mentioned the following:
"The fact that the new C-Class finishes last in this test is a testament to the fierce competition in this segment and the tiny differences in performance"
Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 PM

2008 C350WZ
Originally Posted by 430752
That is, for the merc, the sum was greater than the parts.
-curt
Hey Curt, it was interesting to you read your take on it and experience driving the G35. Based on your quote above, my opinion is that you nailed the description of the W204.

Good luck with whatever descision you made - having options sure makes choosing more fun.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Edmunds are always biased to BMW. If you could compare both cars in person, then you always pick C350 over 335.

Such comparos have no value and confuse people.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM

2008 C350 Sport, Black on Black
Originally Posted by Dema
Edmunds are always biased to BMW...
I kinda noticed that, too...
Hmmm...

Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 AM

2008 Infiniti EX35, (order canceled) 2008 C300|Steel Grey|P1|MM
ok, I don't think I care if the report favors any particular makes. The thing is, no matter what they say I still want my c class, and I'm counting down to the day I get it and I know I will be very happy with it.

To bmw, infinity, lexus.....haven't you guys ever wondered why no matter how great you think you are, we still go for MB anyway....even without memory seat or push start button........
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
How is it that they now got a 0-60 time fo 5.9 secs when they already stated that it was 6.2 secs? Thats a big difference if you ask me.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 AM

2008 C-350 Palladium Silver and MM.
It seems to me that the 0-60 times depend greatly on what tires are fitted.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 PM

C350
What would be the relation? Wider tires = slower acceleration?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
0-60 times very from car to car. Things like driver, type of tire, weather conditions, if it was hot, cold, windy, and mileage all play a roll in what time a car will do. Thats why you see one car magazine post a 5.9 another post a 6.1 and so on.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM

2016 C63
Good numbers. Cars are so good these days, that subjective fators dominate car reviews - as is evidenced here. I also have a 335i and I like them both about the same. The two problems I have with the G is the poor interior and the poor resale value, which really makes it much more expensive that the BMW or Mercedes to own.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
I totally agree w/ that last post. I currently have a G35 (granted it's a 2003) and I'm only looking at about $12-14K to get rid of it. What a bummer!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
wow 5th place, what a horrible way to rate... they shouldnt label my car that... there are many intangibles the benz offers that they do not account for in their crappy bimmer biased rating system...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 PM

c300
When you plop down your own money to buy one of these you've got your own criteria for making the decision. That may be something as trivial (but not trivial to you) as the symbol on the hood. Or it may be how the implied image makes you feel. Everybody's got their own priorities.

I don't doubt for a second that in an analytical comparison the C is 5th behind the competitors.

Straight up, if your priority is the best all out sports sedan/luxo car compromise, then yes, the 335i is the clear winner. This is coming form someone who owned an e90 (330i) for almost two years. It "handles" great, and by handling don't confuse that with grip. Handling is about control of the car up to and beyond the limit. The C350 just can't match the e90 there or in raw power.

But if your priority leans further toward the comfort spectrum the 3 series can be tedious to live with. Think of it this way; comfort > C class > 3 series > WRX Sti. What I'm trying to get at is the 335 will still loose out on the sport sedan score against something more purposefully built like and Sti or Evo. But those loose out in comfort the same way the 3 series looses out against the C.

It's all about priority and point of view. Lexus has more features and hp per dollar. Same with Infiniti. C has pointy star.

I'm starting to get too old for the 3 series, and I realized it was time to go more toward comfort when I found myself having to sit behind cars instead of attack corners. What does it matter when I have a great handling car if I never ever get to use it?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by oblu
I'm starting to get too old for the 3 series, and I realized it was time to go more toward comfort when I found myself having to sit behind cars instead of attack corners. What does it matter when I have a great handling car if I never ever get to use it?
Exactly.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM

c300
Actually it was kind of funny. When I told my wife I wanted a C, we go through this negotiation process about every 18 to 24mo where I start working on her to give me the okay for my next car, she surprisingly said, 'If you hold onto your BMW for another year, year and a half, we should be able to buy you your Porsche by then.'

I knew it was a carrot on a stick, but it got me thinking; I doubt I even want a Porsche anymore. The roads around here got really congested during the dot com bubble and then they loosened up a little, but now that tech is heavy again the roads are so clogged I can't even get a clear freeway on ramp except for at 2am. What good would a Porsche do me. Wife won't let me do track days since insurance won't cover them. Can't go anywhere in town. Even the back roads we used to have fun runs on are clogged now.

I'm thinking I'd rather have an AMG E class than a Porsche now. Getting old.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dema
Edmunds are always biased to BMW. If you could compare both cars in person, then you always pick C350 over 335.

Such comparos have no value and confuse people.
I'm sorry, but that's the biggest load of bull I've heard in a long time. If they were biased for the Bimmer, why didn't it place first? Besides, it placed top in nearly every category. You get what you pay for. In this case, th price was steep so it got knocked down to 2nd. Funny thing is that a comparably equipped G35S/G37 is just $5k cheaper...go to a dealer and see.

Also, I test drove a C300 sport demo car as soon as it arrived. I was eager as the car looks great. Here's the thing: it just didn't compare to the 335i IN MY OPINION. Comfort wise, it's great. There's no doubting that. Performance wise...pathetic (and yes, I know it's just the C300...but still, come on). Handling was ok, but not as fun as the Bimmer. The interior was also a bit of a let down in terms of materials and colors, but the nav and build quality was outstanding.

What I'm trying to say is that not everyone will say a C350 is better than a 335i. I just found that statement a little ignorant and assuming.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by rb23lb
wow 5th place, what a horrible way to rate... they shouldnt label my car that... there are many intangibles the benz offers that they do not account for in their crappy bimmer biased rating system...
How were they biased? The numbers speak for themselves, and trust me, the Bimmer has just as many "intangibles" as the C350. In fact, in the past that's usually how Bimmers won comparisons...intangibles.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 PM

When you plop down your own money to buy one of these you've got your own criteria for making the decision. That may be something as trivial (but not trivial to you) as the symbol on the hood. Or it may be how the implied image makes you feel. Everybody's got their own priorities.

I don't doubt for a second that in an analytical comparison the C is 5th behind the competitors.

Straight up, if your priority is the best all out sports sedan/luxo car compromise, then yes, the 335i is the clear winner. This is coming form someone who owned an e90 (330i) for almost two years. It "handles" great, and by handling don't confuse that with grip. Handling is about control of the car up to and beyond the limit. The C350 just can't match the e90 there or in raw power.

But if your priority leans further toward the comfort spectrum the 3 series can be tedious to live with. Think of it this way; comfort > C class > 3 series > WRX Sti. What I'm trying to get at is the 335 will still loose out on the sport sedan score against something more purposefully built like and Sti or Evo. But those loose out in comfort the same way the 3 series looses out against the C.

It's all about priority and point of view. Lexus has more features and hp per dollar. Same with Infiniti. C has pointy star.

I agree with all of this. Good post.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Very well said. Its funny how different people see things differently.

I don't thing a BMW 3 series vehicle is actually in the same catagory as a C class MB. It would be interesting to see vehicle sales between the two models at the end of the year.

One thing that kind of screws BMW is that they front end load several years of maintenance into the car price. You didn't really think those oil changes were free, did you?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 PM

2008 C350 Special Edition
I also looked at all the 335 and the G37 before getting my C350 (as well as the new 08 C6 Vette)

I was coming from a 600HP supercharged Vette so none of the three were going to compare in regards to power, but I decided on the C350 because I liked the features and the feel of the car as well as the looks.

It has enough power to get me around and still have a little fun as well.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002-C230k 2005-C230K-SS 2005 Infinity G35 2008-C350
I now own 3 - an 02, 05 and now the 08 C350

Ok, in the review it came in 5th or last. I also looked at the G and the 335. I chose the C350 because I liked the look , the MM package and just the overall package.
You buy what YOU like, Your the one paying for it. I have a friend that has a 335 and after he looked my car over he tells me all the time 'I wish I would of bought the C350 instead" So yea it's good to see the review, but, i think we all like different food, clothes and we don't buy them (clothes, food) based on where they rank. I think I make wise buying decisions based on research but, I also buy based on what I like and what I want.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by E92ftw
I'm sorry, but that's the biggest load of bull I've heard in a long time. If they were biased for the Bimmer, why didn't it place first? Besides, it placed top in nearly every category. You get what you pay for. In this case, th price was steep so it got knocked down to 2nd. Funny thing is that a comparably equipped G35S/G37 is just $5k cheaper...go to a dealer and see.

Also, I test drove a C300 sport demo car as soon as it arrived. I was eager as the car looks great. Here's the thing: it just didn't compare to the 335i IN MY OPINION. Comfort wise, it's great. There's no doubting that. Performance wise...pathetic (and yes, I know it's just the C300...but still, come on). Handling was ok, but not as fun as the Bimmer. The interior was also a bit of a let down in terms of materials and colors, but the nav and build quality was outstanding.

What I'm trying to say is that not everyone will say a C350 is better than a 335i. I just found that statement a little ignorant and assuming.
You shouldn't be sorry. I really respect your opinion and consider it very valuable. However you falling in the same mistake as Edmunds do. You value car based on some stat values which have very low value for real car ownership. Benz has too many details making it real luxury cars, when Infiniti just remains Nissan. If you need sport performance car, so why do compromise? Just get Vette. Edmunds have to do review based not only on performance values. You need also learn how to prove your opinion without trying to tell that your opponent is stupid. But I forgive you, I was the same boy at 17.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:43 PM

c300 4matic
Originally Posted by TEAShea
Good numbers. Cars are so good these days, that subjective fators dominate car reviews - as is evidenced here. I also have a 335i and I like them both about the same. The two problems I have with the G is the poor interior and the poor resale value, which really makes it much more expensive that the BMW or Mercedes to own.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
I look at it this way mercedes is not a well dressed anything g35-37 are well dressed nissans nothing against nissans but when I hit a bump in my c300 all I hear is the tires........that my friend exemplifies a well made car no rattles not even from the glove compartment. so this is one of the thing I looked for when I buy car.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Sports Sedan Comparison Test - C350 Sport