C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Possible to add XM with adapter??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300SpP1
Possible to add XM with adapter??

Could I add XM satellite utilizing the adapter located in glove box? Also, can I utilize the sirius antenna built in? If so, how do I get into the back of the radio (non MM). Apparently the Sirius quality has been confirmed less than CD quality because of the compression they used. Though XM has proven in all of my other cars that sound is far better than Sirius.

Any recommendation?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM

08 c300 sport
yes sirius does compress their signals because they need room for the tv they provide....but i also know that the xm and sirius antennae are the exact same thing... so not sure how to do anythign else but hey i helped a lil haha good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
does xm really sound better than sirius? Are you, "sirius"?

thinking about it, the xm on my directv box sounds pretty clean compared to crappy quality MM in my ride
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Plus XM has better quailty of music. Not just quality but also selection. If your into hiphop/rap you have noticed that sirius is garbage, XM is great tho for HipHop/Rap atleast.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:12 PM

infiniti i30
I have XM in my infiniti an I love the channels, espacially the Virus channel.
When we bought the mercedes c300 i was disappointed in Sirius. It has some nice music channels but XM is much better.

I heard that Xm & sirius want to merge which would be great.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I think sirius is better for rap... but XM def destroys sirius when it comes to electronica/dance.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 PM

08 c300 sport
Originally Posted by Lightingfast
I have XM in my infiniti an I love the channels, espacially the Virus channel.
When we bought the mercedes c300 i was disappointed in Sirius. It has some nice music channels but XM is much better.

I heard that Xm & sirius want to merge which would be great.
I was at one of my distributor parties and the regional manager of xm said xm and sirius are deff gonn merge...just a matter of time....which means there will be more room for better quality music and video
Old 12-22-2007, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by badassgoat
I was at one of my distributor parties and the regional manager of xm said xm and sirius are deff gonn merge...just a matter of time....which means there will be more room for better quality music and video
I've heard the same thing which is odd because the FCC wouldn't allow DirectTV and DishNetworks, two satellite TV companies, to consolodate but its ok for the two satellite radio companies to combine.

I would expect that the production facilities to be combined to save cost. Now how that affects programming? who knows.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by JimPap
I've heard the same thing which is odd because the FCC wouldn't allow DirectTV and DishNetworks, two satellite TV companies, to consolodate but its ok for the two satellite radio companies to combine.
Jim, I don't know why either, but my thinking leads me to believe that it is because with sat TV, you can choose which you want; with sat radio, the car mfg choses which one you get. You can switch sat TV providers; you can't do the same with sat radio. JMO...
Old 12-23-2007, 03:35 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by PoaMike
Plus XM has better quailty of music. Not just quality but also selection. If your into hiphop/rap you have noticed that sirius is garbage, XM is great tho for HipHop/Rap atleast.
I guess it depends on the genre, because Sirius has way better rock and especially metal channels than XM. I do agree that XM is better for dance/electronica. Part of the reason is that many of the channels on both networks are owned by conglomerates (e.g. clear channel) and they sell them in packages so sometimes one provider or the other gets a few second rate channels.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:06 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by badassgoat
yes sirius does compress their signals because they need room for the tv they provide....but i also know that the xm and sirius antennae are the exact same thing... so not sure how to do anythign else but hey i helped a lil haha good luck
both xm and sirius compress their signals and they do so by quite a bit: the average channel bandwidth for both providers is 8 kilobits per second which is a far cry from the 192 kb/s that is considered the effective minimum for decent compressed audio (mp3, AAC, etc.). The reason they can use such low bandwidth is because they use variable bit rate as well as preceptual encoding. each channel might use up to 64kb/s at a give moment but usually needs much less. some channels like talk rarely use more than 2 kb/s.