Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Hill Assist?!?!?!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hill Assist?!?!?!

Guys,

has anyone noticed the Hill assist while having their car stopped atop a hill? This question is especially important for people with the 6spd manual? I just want to know if you guys have noticed it, how does it feel? is it helpful?

I have a 6spd manual on order and just read about this feature in reviews.

thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 PM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
funny, I was just noticing the car did NOT have hill assit on the way home through Livingston (a nearby town) on rt 10 tonight. And I was thinking isn't this sumabytch supposed to have it, or is it yet another thing mercedes forgot/deleted?

Now, I must make a disclaimer that I just noticed it tonight and am not quite sure as I only had 3 or 4 or 5 occurrences where it would've kicked in and wasn't fully paying attention at first. The situation was, however, that I only once stopped using the brakes (the others used gravity) and that may make a difference. What I mean is that in stop and go traffic we were inching up a hill and I was trying to keep momentum, even if only at 1 or 2 mph. Well, in a few instances (3 or 4) the car rolled backwards before I could give it a little more gas. So, no brake assist. BUT, one time I came to a complete stop and upon starting from the stop it kept in place with no roll back. Could've been my quick feet, could've been hill assist, I dunno. But since 3or4 times had car rolling backwards and onyl one time was car remaining still, I'm guessing no hill assist. Of course, unless you have to come to a complete stop for longer than a split second using the brakes for hill assist to work.

I have the 300 sport 4 matic automatic.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe hill start assist is only on the MT cars.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 PM

'08 C350
My C350 has hill assist and as you all know, it only comes in auto. When I am stopped on a hill and let go of the brake, the brake stays engaged for another ~3 seconds before it starts rolling back. If you press the throttle before the 3 seconds are up, then the brake will disengage automatically.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 PM

C300 Sport 6-spd
Originally Posted by bonds View Post
Guys,

has anyone noticed the Hill assist while having their car stopped atop a hill? This question is especially important for people with the 6spd manual? I just want to know if you guys have noticed it, how does it feel? is it helpful?

I have a 6spd manual on order and just read about this feature in reviews.

thanks
The Hill Assist works fine on the 6-spd manual. This feature is important since the manual cars do not have a "hand" brake.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks guys!

Just what i wanted to hear. I am excited!!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wish it would be possible to order SBC for the US.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
The Hill Assist works fine on the 6-spd manual. This feature is important since the manual cars do not have a "hand" brake.
what do you mean it does not have parking brake, so when the car is turn off the brakes apply by it self
Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tanktube67 View Post
what do you mean it does not have parking brake, so when the car is turn off the brakes apply by it self
There is a parking brake of course, but it is (left) foot operated, not automatic.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
must use brakes?

So, the reason I didn't get the hill assist several times when driving was becuase I didn't stop by using the brakes? Who invented that? geez, half a solution. Sounds like a half-baked solution created by a lazy american engineer. Oh well, half a loaf is better than no loaf, right?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
Originally Posted by 430752 View Post
So, the reason I didn't get the hill assist several times when driving was becuase I didn't stop by using the brakes? Who invented that? geez, half a solution. Sounds like a half-baked solution created by a lazy american engineer. Oh well, half a loaf is better than no loaf, right?
That makes perfect sense. How is it a half-baked solution? The hill start assist holds the brakes only when you stop with the brakes. How is the car supposed to know you want it held when the brake pedal isn't even touched when it's crawling?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim View Post
I wish it would be possible to order SBC for the US.
In the US? I thought MB dropped SBC period.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
I think he wants the car know the degree of the incline/decline and act accordingly?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by PoaMike View Post
I think he wants the car know the degree of the incline/decline and act accordingly?
The car can't read your mind. It can only do what you tell it to do or predict what you're going to do within it's programmed "threshold" (can't think of the word here...). Hill start assist was designed to help with starting the car off from a standstill, not stop the car (430752 didn't state that specifically, but that's pretty much what he's implying).
Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
O ok i understand. i was lost. My mothers ML has some kind of hill 'thing' and it made alot of loud clanks and such so she never played with it again lol. Thanks I understand what your saying now.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by AsianML View Post
In the US? I thought MB dropped SBC period.
Yes, and for good reason....it's too undependable and the back up system is worthless.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 PM

2011 E350 4 Matic
That's what my E350 must have. I thought it was just a crappy tranny. Everytime I am on a steep incline the car revs down, downshifts and it always felt like the brakes were being applied. I actually hate the feature.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM

2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Hill assist is wonderful for me with the 6 speed. I have to incline to exit the parking garage at work. I always have to stop for the gate to go up, so when I let off of the brake, I don't worry that I'll roll back onto the car behind me before I can clutch.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM

C300 Sport 6-spd
Originally Posted by LRM1 View Post
That's what my E350 must have. I thought it was just a crappy tranny. Everytime I am on a steep incline the car revs down, downshifts and it always felt like the brakes were being applied. I actually hate the feature.
The following is a general explanation of "Hill Start Assist" technology. Drivers of maunual cars will find this technology most useful since the W204 cars do not have a "hand brake". (We have a foot operated parking brake).

Hill Start Assist
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hill Start Assist is a feature of some semi-automatic, cluchless transmissions, which prevents the car from rolling away when youre trying to pull away while on an up or down gradient, simulating a "handbrake hill start" manual drivers will be familiar with. The system engages automatically when a gradient of 3% or more is detected; it then acts to hold the car stationary for two seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to get on the throttle.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Yes, and for good reason....it's too undependable and the back up system is worthless.
I have read a lot of complaints about SBC, but I have it as well as other family members (in several different models) and none of us have had any problems. I would hate to have a manual transmission without SBC.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
The following is a general explanation of "Hill Start Assist" technology. Drivers of maunual cars will find this technology most useful since the W204 cars do not have a "hand brake". (We have a foot operated parking brake).

Hill Start Assist
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hill Start Assist is a feature of some semi-automatic, cluchless transmissions, which prevents the car from rolling away when youre trying to pull away while on an up or down gradient, simulating a "handbrake hill start" manual drivers will be familiar with. The system engages automatically when a gradient of 3% or more is detected; it then acts to hold the car stationary for two seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to get on the throttle.
Except the MB feature for manual transmissions is a function of the brake system.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim View Post
I have read a lot of complaints about SBC, but I have it as well as other family members (in several different models) and none of us have had any problems. I would hate to have a manual transmission without SBC.
I remember reading that the brake systems, although hydraulic again now???, still retains some features of the SBC.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 PM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Thumbs up

Have this feature in my car and find it very useful. It not only holds the car in place at a stop then your headed up hill but also is useful when you're facing downhill and need to back up. A really great feature.

The other down hill thing one of the other posts is refering to is a feature that helps the car decend safely OFF ROAD at like 4 to 10 miles per hour. I made the mistake of trying it while going around 15 mph... not a good idea.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by AsianML View Post
I remember reading that the brake systems, although hydraulic again now???, still retains some features of the SBC.
SBC is hydraulic as well. Yes, they incorporated the SBC functions into the 'standard' brake system....don't know why they didn't do that in the first place. Most SBC owners like it. There are a few that have had failures that turned out to be scary - some accidents. Hill assist sounds like a great feature
Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Sbc??

<<I have read a lot of complaints about SBC, but I have it as well as other family members (in several different models) and none of us have had any problems. I would hate to have a manual transmission without SBC.>>

Sensotronic Brake Control was abandoned and disowned by MB because of too many problems. No W211 has a manual trans. Here's a summary from a UK magazine:

<< Mercedes is dropping its high-tech brake-by-wire system from its E-Class and CLS ranges next year (2007) . Also used on the SL convertible, CL coupe and SLR supercar, Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) was introduced by Mercedes with the promise of enhanced braking performance. The manufacturer has been plagued by faults with the electronic system, however, recalling more than 100,000 cars in the UK alone for checks and fixes. Worldwide, some two million Mercedes have been recalled because of SBC.>>

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hill Assist?!?!?!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: