Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Hey! New guy here looking to buy C300 sport manual! >

Hey! New guy here looking to buy C300 sport manual!

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Hey! New guy here looking to buy C300 sport manual!

 
Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Jetta 2.0T
Hey! New guy here looking to buy C300 sport manual!

I've been a die hard vw fan for years but now i feel it's time to move on and try something different. I am highly interested in the looks of the new c-class but i've heard many horror stories from the earlier models, has mercedes improved their quality over recent years? How reliable would this car be? I know this is comming from a vw guy but i've been lucky with all 6 that i've owned...here's my current car:

Autobahn_Kirk is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
welcome!

I too am looking at the new c-class, would be a first time MB owner too. Until the w204 came out, there wasn't any model from MB I liked that was in my price range (too young for the s-class and can't afford the CL or SL)

Anyways, I will coming off a BMW which isn't known for its reliability either, few electrical problems here and there. I also had a camry, you just can't compare with japanese quailty.... literally 130k, no problems at all.

so I been reading up on forums and review for w204... but its really really too early to tell with this brand new c, keep your eyes on edmunds.com's long term fleet review... its at 3500miles and already sunroof issue (but I think its really the editors trigger happy fingers)
webada is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chilledbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 1,828
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
You can read this forum and see what problems people are having. So far nothing looks wide spread enough to say its a full fledge problem. There have been problems here and there, but they are few and far between. You have to remember that on a forum, it brings people together that usually wouldn't have come across each other. So if there is a thread with three people having the same problem, it looks like a huge problem, but in reality its only three people out of hundreds of thousands of people that bought the car and didn't have the problem. As with any car you have the chance of problems and I will admit I've had a problem with every MB I have owned (so far none with my new C though, fingers crossed). The good news is Benz has a great warranty and will fix anything that should come up and do it without having to fight them to fix it.

Only major problem I see you having is actually finding a manual car ha ha. From reading the posts on this forum, if you do find a manual car, its a stripper and won't have many if any options.
chilledbenz is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I agree, too new to know much at this point. That said, the major components, engine & tranny anyways are existing units and not new this year so that takes a bit of worry out of the equation. I think we're more likely to see issues with the electrical system then the powertrain. Sorry if I just jinxed us all...
Krytech is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Originally Posted by chilledbenz View Post
You can read this forum and see what problems people are having. So far nothing looks wide spread enough to say its a full fledge problem. There have been problems here and there, but they are few and far between. You have to remember that on a forum, it brings people together that usually wouldn't have come across each other. So if there is a thread with three people having the same problem, it looks like a huge problem, but in reality its only three people out of hundreds of thousands of people that bought the car and didn't have the problem.
I would have to disagree with you on that because there are also thousands of people who don't read/register to this website.....

True, just because 3 people have the same problem it doesn't mean the MB you will buy will have the same issues too. But it is an indication of general problems. If thousands of people have the same problem reported, on the web or not, it would been deem as a recall by MB.

What it does show is that the tarnished reliability and reputation MB has procured over the years is warranted or not.....
webada is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chilledbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 1,828
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by webada View Post
I would have to disagree with you on that because there are also thousands of people who don't read/register to this website.....

True, just because 3 people have the same problem it doesn't mean the MB you will buy will have the same issues too. But it is an indication of general problems. If thousands of people have the same problem reported, on the web or not, it would been deem as a recall by MB.

What it does show is that the tarnished reliability and reputation MB has procured over the years is warranted or not.....
I see where your coming from, but my point is that if your having a problem, you usually want to go somewhere and vent it. Forums are great for that, people have problems, they vent them and sometimes get them resolved. The problem with forums is that the people that aren't having the problems don't come in and say "hey mines not doing that" so you just end up with lots of people having the same problem and it looks like an epidemic. A lot of times the problems stem from a bad batch of parts, so cars made in a certain day,week, month could all have the same batch of parts and all experience the same problem.

At any rate, if you do have a problem, in my experience MB has gone above and beyond to fix it to my liking.
chilledbenz is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Originally Posted by chilledbenz View Post

At any rate, if you do have a problem, in my experience MB has gone above and beyond to fix it to my liking.
That's good to know.

I will say this (and I said this to myself ): If you want reliability and it is your first concern, then go with a lexus.

I just can't see myself in an IS or ES, regardless how JD Powers or consumer reports rate them..... This is where the desire of my heart overrules my logical brain.....

To OP:
Take the risk, why not? you already drive a VW!!

Last edited by webada; 12-17-2007 at 03:57 PM.
webada is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM
  #8  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chilledbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 1,828
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by webada View Post
That's good to know.

I will say this (and I said this to myself ): If you want reliability and it is your first concern, then go with a lexus.

I just can't see myself in an IS or ES, regardless how JD Powers or consumer reports rate them..... This is where the desire of my heart overrules my logical brain.....

To OP:
Take the risk, why not? you already drive a VW!!
Hey I'm with you on that, I haven't owned a Lexus but they are always at the top of problem free surveys. I have had other Japanese makes (Honda and Acura) and they were problem free as well. My problem was I needed an awd sedan, didn't want to pay over 40k for it and the only Lexus that fell into that catagory was the IS. I don't like the flat side slab doors, looks like a nice canvas for door dings to happen if you ask me.
chilledbenz is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville Florida, USA
Posts: 120
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
Originally Posted by webada View Post
That's good to know.

I will say this (and I said this to myself ): If you want reliability and it is your first concern, then go with a lexus.

I just can't see myself in an IS or ES, regardless how JD Powers or consumer reports rate them..... This is where the desire of my heart overrules my logical brain.....

To OP:
Take the risk, why not? you already drive a VW!!
Well said "webada"...when I was about to buy my 04 Jetta, almost everyone on vee-dub forums declared it to be a lemon. Sure VW has its own share of ghosts to exorcise (especially the ones from its Mexico plant), but I think VW got its act together. My car now has 65K miles on it (yes..in less than 4 years) and so far I have not yet experienced any issues. I am glad I went with my heart and made a choice. Once again, I am listening to my heart and making a switch from VW to Merc on the new C300.

"Autobahn_Kirk" - you should definitely try the new C300 for yourself and make your choice! We all will be rooting for this puppy to earn your respect!
ni2mi2 is offline  
Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
peabers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 811
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Autobahn_Kirk -- My family (immediate and extended) have been long-time MB custodians and I could see the quality of the products having slipped in the last 6-8 years. But I fell in love with the W204 and I am optimistic about MB having learned something about electronics from Chrysler. So I took the plunge and picked up my first German car. It remains to be seen if MB has indeed learned anything and improved its reliability.
peabers is offline  
Old 12-18-2007, 02:04 AM
  #11  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nyc
Posts: 802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
Originally Posted by peabers View Post
Autobahn_Kirk -- My family (immediate and extended) have been long-time MB custodians and I could see the quality of the products having slipped in the last 6-8 years. But I fell in love with the W204 and I am optimistic about MB having learned something about electronics from Chrysler. So I took the plunge and picked up my first German car. It remains to be seen if MB has indeed learned anything and improved its reliability.
hey kudos to you and congrats on your new ride.... I might just take the leap of faith myself now....
webada is offline  
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,484
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by peabers View Post
Autobahn_Kirk -- My family (immediate and extended) have been long-time MB custodians and I could see the quality of the products having slipped in the last 6-8 years. But I fell in love with the W204 and I am optimistic about MB having learned something about electronics from Chrysler. So I took the plunge and picked up my first German car. It remains to be seen if MB has indeed learned anything and improved its reliability.
As a new MB owner, this whole reliability issue with past MBs came somewhat as a surprise. I thought they were suppose to be rock solid. Then add that the 204 is a new first year model....its almost a given that there will be problems. With that said, I also believe that manufacturers make conscious decisions as to how to design and build a car that can make it more durable or less durable. It seems that MB got the message and went the extra mile to design and build a quality car. Only time will tell, but in the mean time, I'm really enjoying this car.
JimPap is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hey! New guy here looking to buy C300 sport manual!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: