C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

An insurance trick = decent insurance rate + cheap toy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' BMW E92 Coupe
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Sounds like a good plan, but we all know how plans look good on paper but then never pan out. My insurance company offers something similar for classic cars and high end sports cars, but there is a mileage limit on it. So say you want to insure a Lambo but theres no way you can afford the insurance. There is a plan to allow you a some what modest insurance rate but when signing the policy you are saying that you will keep the mileage on the car under x amount of miles a year, meaning it isn't your daily driver.
Dude, seriously, I think you need to start shopping for a new agent/broker. He's not really feeding you proper advice. Anyhow, to educate you alittle bit on these types of policies, they're typically available for classic vehicles, exotic vehicles or rare/limited production vehicles and proof is required. Mileage must be submitted to the company at each renewal and if you breach the contract and exceed the annual mileage you gave the company, your claim will be denied. The cost of the policy is primarily based on the agreed upon value of the vehicle. I insure many classics and Ferrari's. Makes my day when my clients send me the pics that I have to send to the insurance company
Old 01-19-2008, 12:20 AM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
Originally Posted by shaunpaulinc
my insurance with progressive, full coverage for my car is 102 a month, for my e 55 it is 140. my other car is in a different state, calif, and its not driven much so I wont go into that one.

the trick is to say you are comparing rates, and make up numbers, say company x overs this coverage, but I want to go with you guys because of your reputation etc... Initially with my e 55 the quoted me a price that came to 280 a month and I got it to 140, just by doing what I described above. I was in grad school at the time, and I told them I had a 3.9, I faxed that in and that took a lot of, but I graduated. And the rate is the same, even when I added the C they quoted my a much higher price, so I went into the whole I got a quote from geico that was X amount, but I trust your company... They can come down quite a lot... just talk to em, and keep mentioning other companies and their rates..

Hope this helps.

Oh I am 26 by the way, so I think if you are 25 or younger some other rules apply..
Insurance premiums cannot be negotiated. They are set by the company typcially based on the previous years loss and expense ratio's. The only thing they can do to lower your rate is give you available discounts and credits that you and/or your vehicle qualify for. Rather than go through all that trouble of calling around, find a broker that represents several different companies and they will shop it around for you every year or two.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
Originally Posted by narky
1. Where did you get the idea about me not being able to afford anything? As a perk of owning my own business, I get to afford whatever the hell it is I want to play with. But does making enough money make anyone dislike saving money?
As a business owner, the last thing you want to tamper with are your insurance coverages. It's the one thing that will protect your assets. Shell out the extra hundred or two for the year and do it the right way. That way should you have a claim, you won't be changing your underwear worrying for a week or two while the insurance company is investigating your claim and driving routines. I can tell you that we had a client a year and a half ago who put his uncle as the primary driver on his BMW and himself as the primary driver for his uncle's Volkswagon (new client, we were unaware). Rear ended another vehicle in the BMW and they immediately wanted to know what was wrong with his Volkswagon? He told the company the BMW is his and it started a huge thing. Finally he paid the damages up front b/c it was taking too long, and about 2 months later the company agreed to pay damages but pro-rated the premium policy back to inception date with the vehicles showing the correct drivers.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM

1995 E420
There seems to be some insurance people here, maybe they can help explain my insurance to me. I have a terrible drivers record and im not married and young. I'm paying $270 a month with $1000 deductibles, for a 2003 Audi A4 1.8 Turbo. I figured I'll get a cheaper car and put money into it and save money on car insurance. Instead, the quote for the same policy on a 1995 E420 I just bought came to $360 a month. ??????????
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 R129 SL500, '08-'20 W204 C350
Originally Posted by geoshu
There seems to be some insurance people here, maybe they can help explain ??????????
All I can say is shop around. My rate went down $100 (6 mo term) going from a 10 year old BMW Z3 to a new C350.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Benz084

23 male. My insurance is 1600 yr.

The c300 is considered a safe car. Your insurance might be cheaper than you thought.