C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Door rattle and wind noise - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by kfm999
Would it be still noticeable when you have the radio or CD on?
Yes, I can still hear it quite noticeably. It is almost like the gnat in your ear that you can't swat.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
Originally Posted by Stick Girl
To me, it sounds like either I didn't close the door well enough or there is a slight crack in the window. I keep checking the windows when I drive to make sure they aren't down. I sometimes roll the window down and then back up again thinking that it might somehow help. To no avail....
Too funny...On my way into work this morning I was thinking about it and wondered if maybe somehow it would make a better seal (if that is in fact the issue) if I rolled the window up and down a bunch of times. Nada! I'm going to hold tight for now and wait for someone to respond to this thread with "IT'S FIXED!!!" before I go to my dealership.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ryanrohaley
Too funny...On my way into work this morning I was thinking about it and wondered if maybe somehow it would make a better seal (if that is in fact the issue) if I rolled the window up and down a bunch of times. Nada! I'm going to hold tight for now and wait for someone to respond to this thread with "IT'S FIXED!!!" before I go to my dealership.
Hehe. Ditto for me. I started to have them check it when I took it in for my 1st service, but I figured I'd let some things "pile up" and then take it back.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C400 4Matic
Hehe. Ditto for me. I started to have them check it when I took it in for my 1st service, but I figured I'd let some things "pile up" and then take it back.
Have you had this problem since day one or after a few weeks/months like someone else did?

I have only had my car for 19 days so I really hope it won't "develop" this symptoms later on.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Have you had this problem since day one or after a few weeks/months like someone else did?

I have only had my car for 19 days so I really hope it won't "develop" this symptoms later on.
As I recall. I noticed the problem fairly soon after I got the car (I believe within a matter of days). I've had it now for almost 3 months. I can't really say that it is worse now than before though.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Almost a Member!

As I recall. I noticed the problem fairly soon after I got the car (I believe within a matter of days). I've had it now for almost 3 months. I can't really say that it is worse now than before though.
Actually...pretty much ditto for me. I've had my C350 for about 3 months now and I just remember a few days after I got it wondering why it sounded like my right rear window was cracked open (think having your sunroof on tilt and the rush of wind noise it makes). I shot an email to my service dept this afternoon to see if they have a clue.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Actually...pretty much ditto for me. I've had my C350 for about 3 months now and I just remember a few days after I got it wondering why it sounded like my right rear window was cracked open (think having your sunroof on tilt and the rush of wind noise it makes). I shot an email to my service dept this afternoon to see if they have a clue.
I just "tested" it out on the way home. It is very noticeable at 60 mph. I slowed down to 40 and I can still hear it. I adjusted the radio volume - still hear it. Grrrrrr.......
Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 PM

c300
I'd pretty much dismissed my rattling doors as that's they way it's going to be. I'm just feeling happy that I'm finally vindicated. When I first posted about the front doors rattling on close [ https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/218597-anybody-else-notice-door-skins-mirrors-rattle-when-you-close-door.html ] nobody would take me seriously.

Now that other people are figuring out that not all is perfect in C class land, maybe we'll get some fixes out of the dealer.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 PM

2016 C400 4Matic
I just "tested" it out on the way home. It is very noticeable at 60 mph. I slowed down to 40 and I can still hear it. I adjusted the radio volume - still hear it. Grrrrrr.......
It'd be totally unacceptable if it's that loud, I tested it again on my way home, just regular level of wind noise, nothing like what you described, I mean I always turn my audio loud, but with that kind of noise you described, you probably would still hear the wind noise even with loud audio?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 PM

ML320
i`ve heard the in several cars and it is not a air leak it is the air going over the car, there is nothing the dealer will be able to do, it is the engineers design.
I don`t believe there can be that many defective door seals on new cars out there. MBUSA will have to get involved
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, I hardly know what to say....ours is easily the quietest car we've ever owned, including all of the other MBs listed below. I simply do not hear any wind noise from the mirrors or anywhere else.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Almost a Member!

So I've been emailing my service department about the wind noise issue. This is their last response:

After searching MBUSA’s information site and speaking with a member of their technical force we have not found any information relating to the wind noise you describe. The technical person from MBUSA advised to schedule an appointment with you to determine where the noise is originating and perform and if we are unable to correct this concern contact them.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM

528i, GLK
So I've been emailing my service department about the wind noise issue. This is their last response:

After searching MBUSA’s information site and speaking with a member of their technical force we have not found any information relating to the wind noise you describe. The technical person from MBUSA advised to schedule an appointment with you to determine where the noise is originating and perform and if we are unable to correct this concern contact them.
Sounds pretty lame... do let us know how you make out with the appointment. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM

2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 1999 E320, 2008 C350
Originally Posted by webada
Sounds pretty lame... do let us know how you make out with the appointment. Good luck!
I don't think it's lame, I think it's a responsible and interested response.

Think about it. It's a whole new car. The "problem" doesn't happen to all of them (not even in this forum). The dealer may not have seen a car that demonstrates the issue. How are they supposed to know how to fix something without experiencing it so they can determine the cause?

MBUSA may have an idea of what's causing the problem based on analysis of warranty claims, but they too are going to want to confirm the cause of the problem before simply applying a repair that may or may not resolve the issue. For a manufacturer, "throwing parts" at a problem is a sure road to a lemon law buy back.

If I were attempting to fix the car, I'd ask the same thing. Let me hear the noise so I know what I'm supposed to fix.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Would it be still noticeable when you have the radio or CD on?
you have a picture of the AMG c63 in your sig... you know the pic in your car is not the c300, right?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
only noise i have is from the door panel that rattles sometimes when the bass hits from the speakers... also over certain road imperfections...

i fixed this by putting a shim in one of the door panel seams...
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Baron Samedi
I don't think it's lame, I think it's a responsible and interested response.

Think about it. It's a whole new car. The "problem" doesn't happen to all of them (not even in this forum). The dealer may not have seen a car that demonstrates the issue. How are they supposed to know how to fix something without experiencing it so they can determine the cause?

MBUSA may have an idea of what's causing the problem based on analysis of warranty claims, but they too are going to want to confirm the cause of the problem before simply applying a repair that may or may not resolve the issue. For a manufacturer, "throwing parts" at a problem is a sure road to a lemon law buy back.

If I were attempting to fix the car, I'd ask the same thing. Let me hear the noise so I know what I'm supposed to fix.
There seem to be few folks here experiencing the problem and one atleast has had dealer committing to seal replacement. Replacing a warranty part when its not obviously broken would have been reported to MBUSA I presume. Hence the "lameness" is directed at MBUSA's reponse of "we have never heard of this problem... " and since noise is very subjective I am willing to bet there will be no directive from MBUSA (compared to the "vent hole freezing, no heat" problem) on addressing this issue if it is ever confirmed a fix by replacing some parts. In fact, I think if I send in a complaint with exact description of the same problem now, they will probably said the same thing "never heard of this problem" until they found out my car is on order still that is...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 PM

I got a call from MBUSA a few days ago to ask me about my "experience". I told them that I love the car but I have a few issues, this noise being one and the AUX volume being the other. She asked me if I had taken it in for service yet and I told her that I hadn't (I figured I'd wait a while since it wasn't critical). She apologized profusely and said that she would direct the issue to my service advisor and have them call me about it. I haven't heard back from them yet. I'll give them until the end of this week and then I will call them myself.

All that to say, they know about it now!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM

2016 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by rb23lb
you have a picture of the AMG c63 in your sig... you know the pic in your car is not the c300, right?
Of course I do. Its the dream car I want. 
Old 01-23-2008, 02:03 PM

2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 1999 E320, 2008 C350
Originally Posted by webada
and since noise is very subjective I am willing to bet there will be no directive from MBUSA (compared to the "vent hole freezing, no heat" problem) on addressing this issue if it is ever confirmed a fix by replacing some parts. In fact, I think if I send in a complaint with exact description of the same problem now, they will probably said the same thing "never heard of this problem" until they found out my car is on order still that is...
Once enough experience is built up in MB's database, I wouldn't bet on it. When the '97 5 series BMW was introduced, before wind noise issues were resolved, it went through three generations of door seal design. Generally, the manufacturers DO want to resolve "real" issues. The apparent fact that some cars make the noise and some don't possibly eliminates the "noise" as "normal". If that's the case, there likely will be some sort of "fix" coming once enough complaints hit hit the dealerships.

On the other hand, don't count on any complaint made to a satisfaction survey phone follow-up person to get to the right ears. Again, generally, these phone agents have no pipeline to any real product quality or engineering dept.

If you have a concern, go to the dealership and voice it there. It's the only real way to get started on a resolution.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Well, I took my car to the dealership yesterday morning to have them check out the wind noise and the AUX volume issue. For the volume issue, they deduced that "it is what it is" and plan to do nothing about it. As for the wind noise, they decided to keep it overnight and work on it again today, so I don't know what is going on right now. He said that he hoped there would be more wind today to see if they can duplicate it. Lucky for me, there is a cold front passing through right now!

BTW, they provided me a 2007 C230 for my rental. Aside from the fact that is has memory seats, I like my 2008 MUCH better! I was waffling between the two ('07 and '08) when I was looking and I'm so glad that I chose the '08.

I'll provide an update when I get it for those of you experiencing the same problem.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM

2008 c300
Hi

re. the rear window noise, when raising and lowering the rear right window, I noticed that it will bounce open slightly, after using the express closing. Takes some fiddling to get it tightly closed. Could the pinch protection be too sensitive? Every one seems to have the problem with the right rear.

Last edited by keith100; 02-15-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by keith100
Hi

re. the rear window noise, when raising and lowering the rear right window, I noticed that it will bounce open slightly, after using the express closing. Takes some fiddling to get it tightly closed. Could the pinch protection be too sensitive? Every one seems to have the problem with the right rear.
1st wellcome to MBW
Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 PM

2008 c300
Thank you
Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 PM

So, here is the skinny. Tech again said he didn't hear anything. I took him for a spin on the freeway. He then heard what I was talking about.

BUT, he insists that it is "normal sound" and not a loose gasket of any kind. I mentioned that there were several of us who experience the noise and he figures that maybe we are "that 1%" who experience certain things that others don't. Funny how my rental car was an '07 model and I heard not one wind noise sound from it.

Net, net...it is documented and will likely be an enhancement in the future (I'm sure only if they hear about it enough) ,but for now, I'll just have to deal with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door rattle and wind noise - anyone else?