C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Door rattle and wind noise - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300
My car most definitely has more wind noise than either of my two previous C's. It is fine until you hit 65-70MPH and up. I find it extremely annoying. It doesn't come from any particular area. I have tried re-seating the windows numerous times to no avail. My tech says he has not heard of any wind noise complaints from other owners. I'm going to complain about it heavily when I go in for my 3000. I am also going to ask to drive a different one to compare. I am even looking for a decibel meter. They are going to love me!

The reason it is so annoying to me is that low interior noise is one of the top 2 or 3 reasons I drive an MB. Other than that and the slow accelerator response the car is sweet.

Last edited by nil8r; 02-15-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 AM

2010 GLK350
Follow-up on my windnoise issue.

I took my car back to the dealer a few weeks ago for them to replace my RR door seal....believe it or not, it actually helped! The windnoise from the RR is practically gone. There is still some windnoise from that area (along with other areas of the car) but it is much less noticable.

As far as the "rattle" from the drivers side door...nothing...nobody at the dealer seems to think there is a problem. Although the demo car that they have is much more solid when you close the door.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 PM

C300 sport 6spd w/Navi
I too noticed the wind noise coming only from the passenger rear window. It is extremely audible from 60+ mph. I am taking it to the dealers tomorrow to see what they say.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Have no problems with rear window, only rattle is from the sunroof when tilted and sometimes the sunroof shade when completely open. Will try some Krytox on the seal.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 PM

C300 sport 6spd w/Navi
Well, I took my car in to have them look at the wind noise coming from the pass. rear window and to make a long story short, they replaced the door seals and there still seems to be excessive wind noise so they kept the car. The district service manager for Mercedes Benz drove my car and noticed the noise and logged the findings. Their shop foreman is still looking at it to determine next course of action.

Second, the issue with the mirror rattling is being addressed with installing a new mirror being sent from Germany. They commented finding some loose parts inside the mirror causing it to rattle. I have to wait 3 weeks before it arrives. So far I have been content that they are addressing the issues and doing the best they can to solve the problem.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
Since I've had the car, I've been very cognizant of the wind noise and also plan to pursue it w/ my dealership when I take it in for the 1st oil change. Something I did notice which struck me as very odd was that a few weeks ago I was cruising home from a trip to Pittsburgh and the car was a little snowed/iced over after a cold night of sitting in the hotel parking lot. When I got on the highway, I heard NO WIND NOISE!! I've never NOT noticed it before that I can remember. WTF this has to do with what the underlying problem is...I have no freakin idea! I'm just trying to figure out what to do to put this thing to bed--if at all possible!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 PM

C300 4Matic Sport, P1, iPod
I just finished a 700 mile trip in my new C300 Sport. The car was quiet the entire trip, which was spent at 75 mph. No complaints here, hope those of you with noise problems get them resolved.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM

'08 C300 Sport, 7SpAuto, P1, MM, 18s, ipod kit.
My wife made a comment about the wind noise yesterday when we were driving about 50mph. I just thought it was a windy day, but coming on here and reading the posts, it looks like it might be an issue with the door seals. I'll have the dealer look in to it at 1K miles.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Mine is still persisting and it is getting on my last nerve! Just this morning, I was thinking about calling MBUSA to discuss this. I am starting not to enjoy my car because of the noise!

Another thing I noticed this morning (but not the first time), is there was a loud truck driving next to me and it was so loud that it sounded like my windows were down. What in the world would cause that kind of noise to enter my car so easily?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:46 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Stick Girl
Mine is still persisting and it is getting on my last nerve! Just this morning, I was thinking about calling MBUSA to discuss this. I am starting not to enjoy my car because of the noise!

Another thing I noticed this morning (but not the first time), is there was a loud truck driving next to me and it was so loud that it sounded like my windows were down. What in the world would cause that kind of noise to enter my car so easily?
ouch, i'm suprised you haven't taken further action since last posting.

What did you drive before? Wind noise is one thing but truck driving next to you sounding unbearable is something else!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Nearly 6000 miles on ours, and no noise complaints of any kind. Beyond the fact that the 17" Contis are not known for their silence, I'd have to characterize our car as one of the quietest we've ever owned, including our S-Class cars.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
With over 6200 miles, it's still quiet. But the Michelins are not especially quiet tires, and I do hear them. After a window has been lowered then raised (and confirmed to be fully up) I do get a bit of noise, but it goes away after a time. There is naught to do when sitting next to a loud diesel truck. I do notice that sirens are much quieter in the C than in other cars, and even at 75 on the freeway, I can whisper audibly in the car. When i hit a bump, I can mentally know what's making what sound, and it's been good so far (e.g., coins in the hole, loose tools in the trunk, etc.).

Satisfied with the noise level. If it gets too quiet, I can hear the ringing in my ears, and that's never good ;-P)
Old 03-17-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by webada
ouch, i'm suprised you haven't taken further action since last posting.

What did you drive before? Wind noise is one thing but truck driving next to you sounding unbearable is something else!
I had a Pacifica before this and I don't recall ever having that issue with it. I don't recall ever having this issue with any other car I've had. I will be contacting them tomorrow. I have a road trip coming up and I know that I won't be able to stand it on a 6 hour drive.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jrct9454
Nearly 6000 miles on ours, and no noise complaints of any kind. Beyond the fact that the 17" Contis are not known for their silence, I'd have to characterize our car as one of the quietest we've ever owned, including our S-Class cars.
I'll trade ya!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jstaneff
Satisfied with the noise level. If it gets too quiet, I can hear the ringing in my ears, and that's never good ;-P)
That's a good one
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by themundy
I've had my C300 sport for four months and recently my drivers side door rattles when I close it and there is signifcant windnoise from my rear passengers door when I hit 60mph+. Does anyone have these issues? My dealer has been unable to locate the exact issue? They are going to replace my door seals, but they don't even understand if that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wonder if it matters where the cars were built. Was yours Germany or SA?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM

C300 sport 6spd w/Navi
It seems the dealer has fixed the wind noise issue. First they replace the door seal but the noise was still there. Then they decided to replace the chrome door trim above the window and that seemed to fix the problem. The district sales manager drove my car so the issue has been documented and they seemed to have fixed the problem. No more wind noise.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Great feedback
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 AM

Mercedes C300
I'm having the same issue with wind noise from my C300 coming from the rear passenger window at 60+ MPH. The dealer replaced the door seals today and after getting on the highway today I found the noise was worse... Now I hear it at 50 MPH and gets worse at freeway speeds...

I have another appointment this weekend... Not sure what the next step is...

Last edited by jdmartinezxiii; 02-09-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-09-2011, 02:27 AM

W204 C300 09' (GONE) W205 C63S Edition 1 Estate
I havent heard any rattles, but i definitely hear the wind on the highway. i was pretty surprised when i first noticed. i thought it'd be more quiet.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
My car is really starting to **** me off. It has SOOO many little issues that are just "annoying". No mechanical issues or anything. But things that don't exude the Mercedes-Benz luxury they are known for. I have numerous rattles that my car has been brought in for and fixed including: rear dome, rear shelf, rear dome again, speedo cluster.

On top of the rattles I too have had a terrbile wind noise from the side pillar from the rear doors on both sides. It sounds like a window is cracked open, but its not. The best way I can describe it is that the noise comes from the pillar that the rear doors are hinged upon (B-Pillar?).

My problems with the doors don't end there, my driver door also started to squeak really bad when opening and closing it, sounding like a rusted 20 year old car. My driver seat also squeaks now too whenever I move, sit down, get up, or go over bumps (and its not like i'm fat, I'm 140 lbs on a bad day).

On the exterior I have had my foglight cracked (then put Lamin-X over them), have had my sidemarker cracked (really? I have to ****ing saran-wrap my entire car?!?!). Have terrible pitting on my windshield (poor design/material IMO). And intermittently when my steering wheel is hard left or right and speed is low my car sounds like a squeaking hamster wheel... Gets worse when its cold out. Weather stripping had to be replaced because it was warped and didn't seal (wind noise got better, but still crappy).

My trunk used to squeak whenever I opened or shut it, my key has 2 huge cracks in it from just being in my pocket (the old chrome key design with soft keys, now replaced by hard keys to fix this problem). And what pisses me off is the EXTREME amount of brake dust my car has even after a 10 minute drive after getting washed with minimal brake usage from my REAR wheels...

But the thing is that I wouldn't even care about most of these things if the dealers actually did the right thing and fixed them. Yes, most of the squeaks and rattles have been fixed, but a TON of issues haven't. Like the rear brake dust (apparently my car was made 2 months after the service bulletin applies to, but I KNOW that my car has the affected pads). They wan't me to pay $300 to get my key fixed, won't even offer an exterior housing shell swap for free... They can't replicate the terrible wind noise from the rear door seals. Can't replicate the intermittent squeaking when turning (even though car was doing it the day it was dropped off and the day I picked it up).

Dealer wouldn't pay for foglight or sidemarker replacement (as I somewhat expected) but I still think its b.s. and a manufacturing/design defect that they break this easily and I have to cover them with aftermarket films... The list could go on and on, but I have covered most all of the major issues.

And I don't think that my experience is rare. I think that many other c-class owners will be able to chime in and have their own issues too.

Last edited by jctevere; 02-09-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Mine has a lot of interior cricks and creaks... dash cluster bezel is the culprit i think? my rearview mirror cricks when driving along, my MM popup screen cricks over the slightest bump, and most annoyingly my door panel creaks when my knee presses against it or when I open/close the door.

I also have the wind noise issue, right behind my left ear (i think)..

I keep planning to spend a day with WD40 or some lithium grease to take care of this crap..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:41 AM

Mercedes C300
HURRAY... It's gone. The wind noise we were experiencing has gone away. The dealer replaced the rear window channel gaskets and it seemed to solve the problem. Thank you very much Mercedes of Valencia for your excellent customer service. There is no doubt that we would recommend this place to everyone.

Last edited by jdmartinezxiii; 02-17-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM

W202 C230 Kompressor, W204 C200 CGI
BE version should have thinner windows.
I can hear wind noise.
But it's much quieter than my previous Peugeot...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM

2010 C350 Sport 4M
I have a 2010 C350 I bought just before winter. I live north of Toronto on Georgian Bay where it is cold with lots of snow. The car was quiet and solid in the fall before winter but I noticed wind and rattle noises this winter. Ice forms in in the seams and squeak. This is most noticeable around the sunroof. Ice on the mirrors cause wind noise on the highway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door rattle and wind noise - anyone else?