C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Service A and B (and maybe others)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota and planning to get a Sport C300, White, Manual, 18" AMG rims, MM, HK Sound.
Service A and B (and maybe others)

I tried getting info from the forum AND I posted a thread but didn't work.
Can anybody tell me where I could find information on how much these services cost??
From what I understand, service A is mainly an oil change after like a year.
Service B is a more thorough one after 2 years (1 year after service A), then A, then B.... etc

Basically, I'm trying to get an estimate of how much I'll be paying after purchasing the car (other than gas and insurance and abnormal issues like accidents).

How much do these cost? (in Canada preferably) OR where can I get the info (other than the dealer cause I don't trust them )

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by mosquad
How much do these cost? (in Canada preferably) OR where can I get the info (other than the dealer cause I don't trust them )
Mosquad -- The Service A & B plans are outlined in the Owner's Manuals. All of the work has a certain work unit attached to it (i.e., hours of labour). Therefore the cost of the service should be pretty much the same if you go to a dealership. Especially the case if you service in the GTA.

Checking with your purchasing dealer would probably give you a decent estimation towards your TCO. Since the car has only been out for about 6 months, I doubt anybody will be able to tell you exactly what they paid for a Service B.

You could check on the W203 forums to see how much those guys pay. It's probably a good estimate for the W204 maintenance.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I don't want to sticker shock you, but for my ML service A was around $240 and service B around $430. It will probably be a bit lower for a C class as there isn't as much car there, but it gives you a neighborhood figure. Would be nice to know the exact numbers people are paying, taking into account that each dealership is different and charges different hourly rates.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Toyota and planning to get a Sport C300, White, Manual, 18" AMG rims, MM, HK Sound.
Thanks guys! that was fast

Yeah, a thread should be created once people get the services to get actual statistics... soon!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
I hope everybody realizes that there are SIGNIFICANT variations from one locale to another when it comes to service costs.

Asking "how much" is almost a useless exercise unless you can get an answer that applies within your metro area. The ranges involve literally hundreds of $, never mind the difference between Canada and the US.

Caveat emptor....

I agree that we probably need a "sticky" that covers this topic as some experience starts to build up....which won't be for awhile....
Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM

2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 1999 E320, 2008 C350
(other than gas and insurance and abnormal issues like accidents).

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm afraid I don't understand. The dealer's going to be doing the work aren't they? Wouldn't it make sense to ask THEM what they charge. Doesn't matter what WE think they should charge.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi
I'm afraid I don't understand. The dealer's going to be doing the work aren't they? Wouldn't it make sense to ask THEM what they charge. Doesn't matter what WE think they should charge.
Experience showed me that often, there is a difference between what's on paper and what was actually charged (this is where the "WE" would help in knowing the actual figures)
Also, it's always better to get information from 2 or more INDEPENDENT sources... increases reliability of info...

Thanks for the comment though, and feel free to post what the dealer told you if you asked him/her (and for the record, I already asked the dealer... waiting for the response and I will post it to share the information with everybody)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 AM

Experience showed me that often, there is a difference between what's on paper and what was actually charged (this is where the "WE" would help in knowing the actual figures)
Also, it's always better to get information from 2 or more INDEPENDENT sources... increases reliability of info...

Thanks for the comment though, and feel free to post what the dealer told you if you asked him/her (and for the record, I already asked the dealer... waiting for the response and I will post it to share the information with everybody)
Are you talking about the frequent discrepancy between the time it actually takes a technician to complete a job and the time that's billed at the shop's hourly rate?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM

2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
Call the Dealer

It totally depends on what your local dealer charges.

I called two local dealers about my ML and was told $350 and $375.

I would welcome paying only $240 as stated by chiledbenz.

Not sure where he's from but I think I should move.

Looking for an indi in my area but am not having any luck with replies to a thread I started asking for references.

If anyone has any suggestions I'de appreciate the name of a good mechanic near White Plains, NY.

Just call your local place or places and ask.

Last edited by paulybagadonuts; 01-21-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by paulybagadonuts
It totally depends on what your local dealer charges.

I called two local dealers about my ML and was told $350 and $375.

I would welcome paying only $240 as stated by chiledbenz.

Not sure where he's from but I think I should move.

Looking for an indi in my area but am not having any luck with replies to a thread I started asking for references.

If anyone has any suggestions I'de appreciate the name of a good mechanic near White Plains, NY.

Just call your local place or places and ask.

I live in Ohio, because I'm paying for it, I have them change the oil when I feel like it should be changed and don't always go by the on board service computer. I have had two different prices for service A, one was $238 and the other $273. The $273 one being the latest one done in August, so the price has gone up, but at least its not $350 - $375.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I live in Ohio, because I'm paying for it, I have them change the oil when I feel like it should be changed and don't always go by the on board service computer. I have had two different prices for service A, one was $238 and the other $273. The $273 one being the latest one done in August, so the price has gone up, but at least its not $350 - $375.
I only have 8000 miles on mine but I've owned it since last December.

The suggested period is 1 year or 13,000 miles.

I don't want to void my warentee but I also don't want to pay close to $400 for an oil change.

I'm trying to find an indy in my area. I think you weighed in on one of my threads about it.

Don't mean to take up Mosquads space here but what milages did you do your services at?

And Masquad why don't you trust the Dealer?

Last edited by paulybagadonuts; 01-21-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I only have 8000 miles on mine but I've owned it since last December.

The suggested period is 1 year or 13,000 miles.

I don't want to void my warentee but I also don't want to pay close to $400 for an oil change.

I'm trying to find an indy in my area. I think you weighed in on one of my threads about it.

Don't mean to take up Mosquads space here but what milages did you do your services at?

I usually stick with the computer on when to change the oil, it takes into account the way you drive (miles, or if you tow) and it knows best. But there have been times I wanted it done earlier than the computer, so I went ahead and had them change it, heck I'm paying for it I can have it done when its easiest for me. Don't get me wrong, I don't run it longer than it should, I just get it done before it should, now that they don't include oil changes in the warranties feel free to have them done when you want, or by you who want for that matter...do it yourself if your so inclined.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Are you talking about the frequent discrepancy between the time it actually takes a technician to complete a job and the time that's billed at the shop's hourly rate?
I'm just saying that maintenance costs are not "fixed" since it depends on the time spent, if you ask the dealer he/she'll give you an estimate, but I expect him/her to understate it a bit because it is for his/her advantage... to make a sale!

What I meant by not trusting them is that their goal is simple: Make a sale!
So whatever they say should be verified; how many times did sales people say something that wasn't really true or accurate, thus, the client ended up paying more than expected?
All I'm saying is that information obtained from a person that is not objective, should be verified (best example is the guys who said in a thread that the BMW dealer told him that he's better off with a BMW... well, HELLO?? HE WORKS FOR BMW!!! )

Right now, my goal is to compare the cost of a BMW 328 coupe and a C300 by taking into consideration the fact that the BMW has free scheduled maintenance and MB doesn't and the fact that the 328 coupe is more expensive... I really prefer the Benz, but I'm afraid of the maintenance costs as so many people say it's expensive, thus my questio was: well, how much??? what is expensive? how much will it cost for the next 4-6 years?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Right now, my goal is to compare the cost of a BMW 328 coupe and a C300 by taking into consideration the fact that the BMW has free scheduled maintenance and MB doesn't and the fact that the 328 coupe is more expensive... I really prefer the Benz, but I'm afraid of the maintenance costs as so many people say it's expensive, thus my questio was: well, how much??? what is expensive? how much will it cost for the next 4-6 years?
BMW is free maintenance and while some here will say thats its included in the price, its really a moot point considering how much cheaper you can get a BMW right now (sedan). Also Audi offers an added warranty that runs $500 and covers 4 oil changes or 50k miles, thats cheap considering how much Benz charges, but wait for the b8 body style coming sometime in the 2008 model year to even try and make a comparison to the C.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Drive both cars and buy the one you like best. I have 100k on my 99 E320 and service it once/year at the dealer (when the light comes on). I don't think the maintenance costs have been outrageous, but then again, I've had German cars since 1986 so maybe I've become numb.

Personally, at this level, I'd rather be happy driving a car that I like and enjoy instead of driving something I didn't like so well and thinking about how much I'm saving on maintenance. But that's just me. Perhaps not you.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Drive both cars and buy the one you like best. I have 100k on my 99 E320 and service it once/year at the dealer (when the light comes on). I don't think the maintenance costs have been outrageous, but then again, I've had German cars since 1986 so maybe I've become numb.

Personally, at this level, I'd rather be happy driving a car that I like and enjoy instead of driving something I didn't like so well and thinking about how much I'm saving on maintenance. But that's just me. Perhaps not you.
I totally agree with you, that's why I'm not getting a Corolla!!
We're talking about BMW vs MB, I like both but still prefer the benz... I'm just trying to estimate the TOTAL COSTS related to both cars (price of car + maintenance + gas + insurance) to be aware of what I'm getting into.
But I agree with you, you should always get the car you like... within your budget.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
I totally agree with you, that's why I'm not getting a Corolla!!
We're talking about BMW vs MB, I like both but still prefer the benz... I'm just trying to estimate the TOTAL COSTS related to both cars (price of car + maintenance + gas + insurance) to be aware of what I'm getting into.
But I agree with you, you should always get the car you like... within your budget.
That's a good conclusion -- MOSQUAD. When I was comparing cars, I had spreadsheets (and spreadsheets, and spreadsheets.......) of comparison amongst the contenders. I recognize that the Audi and BMW maintenance programs are a nice bonus but having only to service the MB once a year the price advantage did not amount to much. Just factor all of that into your TCO calculations.

You'll likely see a higher residual cost on the MB, followed by the BMW and finally the Audi. Maintenance cost would be highest in the MB, with BMW and Audi at $0. Insurance for the MB should be lower than the two.

It all came out very close... which allowed me to choose the car based on what my heart wanted.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by peabers
It all came out very close... which allowed me to choose the car based on what my heart wanted.
My heart too is leaning towards the C-Class ... ok, that was cheesy...
Old 01-22-2008, 05:49 PM

Edmunds True Cost to Own

I was thinking about this a bit and remembered using this site to reasure myself I made a wise decision after buying my first MB.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/CTOintroController

Check out this link. Not sure how accurate it is but may be a point of departure from a non biased source.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

I was thinking about this a bit and remembered using this site to reasure myself I made a wise decision after buying my first MB.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/CTOintroController

Check out this link. Not sure how accurate it is but may be a point of departure from a non biased source.
That's a good source! I couldn't find one for Canada though... I only found... snow!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Almost a Member!

My Montreal (Decarie) dealer replied to my e-mail and the answer is:

Service A: involves a complete inspection of the car to insure that everything is functioning properly. For example, change oil, clean or change breaks, inspect entire suspension system, perform lubrication on seals or where needed, tire inspection (rotation if needed), check all fluids and all vehicle functions and more. Overall it’s a complete inspection of the vehicles components and operating systems. It’s approximately a 3 hour inspection which cost 350 plus tax.

Service B: same as above but adds the changing of the filters on the car which in the end prolongs the inspection to 4 hours thus raising the price to 475.00 plus tax.

In regards to the frequency of these types of service it really depends on the driver. If you drive the car hard it for sure will need to be serviced early and if you drive a little lighter it will prolong the need for service. However, generally the service falls between every 9-12 months or every 18,000 – 21,000 km which ever comes first.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:40 AM

Paid US$250 for a Flex A service yesterday on my 100k, 1999 E320.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
I'm in a different model (CLK), but where I live in NJ, my service A and B are $235 and $320.