C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Phone address book, Bluetooth, vCards and OBEX-OPP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK300, GLK350, owned:C300, CLK 430, ML320 200D, 240D
Phone address book, Bluetooth, vCards and OBEX-OPP

I was due for a new phone and here is what I’ve found out about transferring the phonebook to the car:

First off all, there is a lot of guessing and misinformation on the web. Some blame it on the carrier network (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc.) some blame it on the car. My buddys BMW, Audi, Lexus etc. can do it, why not my MB.

It really depends on your phone if you can transfer vCards and sometimes called ‘Name Cards’ to your MB. Even if you do can transfer them, the option is often buried deep down and hard to find somewhere in the phones software. The problem is not your car.

With some phones you have to do it one contact after another, other phones you can put a check mark after each address and transfer them that way.

For example Verizon Razr phone depending on software versions can or can not transfer vCards. On the other hand all AT&T Razr phones can submit, independent of software version, their phonebook to the car. Surprisingly my very old Bluetooth Pocket PC was able to transfer vCards to the car. I would assume Bluetooth laptops can do that too somehow.

What that means is, depending on the phone carriers phone and software version you may be able to transfer the phonebook or not. I found out that www.wireless4MB.com is quite interesting website but the info is sometimes outdated but a starting point when it comes to the compatible phone list. If your phone has a newer firmware version loaded, like in my case the Verizon Razr V3m, you may be in luck. To my surprise the iPhone does not support transfering the phone book.

Your phone must support the Bluetooth OBEX-OPP protocol otherwise it will not transfer (push) any data e.g. vCards!

Just because your phone works with every headset it does not mean your phone can submit data. It's how Bluetooth is implemented in your phone. Check your phones manual if your phone supports OPP.

OPP - Object Push Profile

A Bluetooth profile (mode) that enables a Bluetooth device to transfer (push) an object (file) to another Bluetooth device.

Examples include sending contact info or a calendar event from a phone to a another phone, sending a photo from a phone to a PC, or sending a document file from a phone to a handheld. In our case sending a vCard (Name Card) to the car.

Not all Bluetooth devices support OPP. Some Bluetooth phones that do support OPP only support sending contact info and/or calendar events (in the vCard format).

OPP is a sub-profile of the OBEX profile, and OPP functionality is often referred to as "OBEX".

(Definition from phonescoop.com)

Last edited by Octane; 01-23-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
*BookMark* Now I can send this to all the people who are always asking "why doesnt my iPhone share contacts"

Thanks for the info, very informative

-Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 01:35 PM

C300 Sport
That's true, the iPhone cannot 'push' vCards as of now. Perhaps in another software update that feature will be added. There is a program available (Bluetooth vCard Blaster) for OS X, however, that will push vCards from your address book; so theoretically, you could sync your phone with an iBook, and then the iBook with the car. No one has tested this that I know of - my iBook is old and doesn't have bluetooth. But it seems possible, and to me seems like an easier way than using the pmcia slot.

Still, it's strange that Merc took this approach. I know for a fact that the BMW system will sync contacts automatically with the iPhone each time it's paired.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM

2012 ML350BTC
Remember since this is the W204 forum that:

http://www.mbusa-mobile.com/

Is the website reference point for phone/carrier compatability.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 AM

08 c350
why does mb not allow sprint phones on there blue tooth capabilities
Old 02-03-2008, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by delslowstops
why does mb not allow sprint phones on there blue tooth capabilities
I have a sprint phone, and my Bluetooth works. I just haven't figured out to tranfer my #s into the car.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
I have a Sprint phone as well. The problem isn't with MB, it is with Sprint.

However, most people, myself included, have gotten their Sprint phone to work for most functions. also try jetwaremobile.com. That will allow you to transfer your phone book.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
threre is a similar thread on the other forums
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by tanktube67
threre is a similar thread on the other forums
there are multiple similar threads on THIS forum...
Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 PM

2004 GLI 24v
Explain this one too me ...

According to MB USA, my V3xx does not support txfr-ing my phone book - which it does not do in any Mercedes Benz I have tried in the US.

But, I was overseas (Europe) not too long ago and was able to sync phone books and MMS with a C-Klasse, S-Klasse even a Focus ST with the Sony Audio system.

The inability to trxfr phone books has something to do with the MB USA Head Unit/Interface. When we took the new car to the dealer, their response was to manually transfer the phone book from the phone to the headunit, I could have done this without wasting 2 hours out of my day.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by Red72914
Explain this one too me ...

According to MB USA, my V3xx does not support txfr-ing my phone book - which it does not do in any Mercedes Benz I have tried in the US.

But, I was overseas (Europe) not too long ago and was able to sync phone books and MMS with a C-Klasse, S-Klasse even a Focus ST with the Sony Audio system.

The inability to trxfr phone books has something to do with the MB USA Head Unit/Interface. When we took the new car to the dealer, their response was to manually transfer the phone book from the phone to the headunit, I could have done this without wasting 2 hours out of my day.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one?
My Nokia E71 and my previous one the E51, didn't automatic synchronize either their addresses books with the C-Class. And yes, I'm in Europe. The solution, as stated, is to manually transfer the contact list (one by one in the E71 case or by bulk on the E51 case )

It depends on the manufacturer's Bluetooth implementation and on the phone's. My guess is that it is more a problem on the Mercedes side than on the phone's but it takes two...
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM

2009 C300 Sport w/ Navi
FYI: I have a BlackBerry 8300 that worked perfectly. However, my Moto RZR did not.