C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car got stuck today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4Matic
Exclamation Car got stuck today.

First of all Happy Chinese New Years Everyone.! ...Tonight is Chinese New Years Eve.

Anyways! today it was snowing like crazy in Vancouver, so had some sliding actiong going on since I live up on the mountains. As I got home, everything was fine, til I reached the street I live on. My car was was stuck as I was about to make a turn into my driveway. That time the snow had accumulated to about 10cm of snow already (no snow plow truck come by the street yet). As i was about to make a turn, I had to make some adjustments to back into my garage. Then my car started sliding side ways. I stepped a bit on the brake as the instant reflex reaction; then i stepped on teh gas pedal again, but the car made some weird noises like metal rubbing against each other . Then I stopped and thought something got under my car, but nothing was under it. I tried a couple more times but same result, the car won't move at all. So i got out of the car ran home and got out my shovel and started shoveling away around my car. After 20 min of shoveling THEN my car somehow began to move again.

So as i got back home, I had a talk with my dad on the phone. He said Benz cars made the cars with awd had this safety feature? that if ALL 4 wheels lose traction, the car will simply lock the 4 wheels and not budge to move. You guys have any thought on this? I don't see why the car need to lock all 4 wheels up though.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
Originally Posted by radiance
that if ALL 4 wheels lose traction, the car will simply lock the 4 wheels and not budge to move.
First, it's called Lunar New Year, not Chinese new year. Chinese should stop trying to take credit for everything, like pasta and lunar new year.

Anyhoo, if that's true, can you imagine all wheels locking up on freeway? I say the metal noise was ur ESP kicking in modulating brakes.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by radiance
First of all Happy Chinese New Years Everyone.! ...Tonight is Chinese New Years Eve.

Anyways! today it was snowing like crazy in Vancouver, so had some sliding actiong going on since I live up on the mountains. As I got home, everything was fine, til I reached the street I live on. My car was was stuck as I was about to make a turn into my driveway. That time the snow had accumulated to about 10cm of snow already (no snow plow truck come by the street yet). As i was about to make a turn, I had to make some adjustments to back into my garage. Then my car started sliding side ways. I stepped a bit on the brake as the instant reflex reaction; then i stepped on teh gas pedal again, but the car made some weird noises like metal rubbing against each other . Then I stopped and thought something got under my car, but nothing was under it. I tried a couple more times but same result, the car won't move at all. So i got out of the car ran home and got out my shovel and started shoveling away around my car. After 20 min of shoveling THEN my car somehow began to move again.

So as i got back home, I had a talk with my dad on the phone. He said Benz cars made the cars with awd had this safety feature? that if ALL 4 wheels lose traction, the car will simply lock the 4 wheels and not budge to move. You guys have any thought on this? I don't see why the car need to lock all 4 wheels up though.
I believe the fact that you stepped on the gas pedal while none of the wheels had any traction, activated the ESP on all wheels (iow: No power - no go ) Once you shovelled the snow, you started driving slowly away and you had traction again...Perhaps you Vancouverites should get snow more often???
Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 AM

C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by spotless
First, it's called Lunar New Year, not Chinese new year. Chinese should stop trying to take credit for everything, like pasta and lunar new year.
It is all the same to me Lunar New Year, Chinese New years or what ever else you want to call it. I was taught it was called the Chinese New Years, so it is for me.

HMM, maybe it was the ESP, but the light on my dash board wasn't flashing though, so I thought it could've been something else.

Originally Posted by calgary
I believe the fact that you stepped on the gas pedal while none of the wheels had any traction, activated the ESP on all wheels (iow: No power - no go ) Once you shovelled the snow, you started driving slowly away and you had traction again...Perhaps you Vancouverites should get snow more often???
Of course I know that concept of shovelling the snow will get my car moving again. !!
I was just describing what solved my car getting stuck in the snow, and I tried to steer my car into the driveway before having to get out of the car and run home to get a shovel to start digging the snow around my car.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
So, um, snow in Vancouver? Um ... down here in Seattle, it's just rain (41 F) and the threat of snow. Here's hoping for rain!

Maybe you need to head to Mountain Equipment and get a backpacker's snow shovel and put that in the back of the car? Next time you get stuck, you may be too far from home to run home for a snow shovel ;-)

(I keep on finding new "tools" this car needs. My other cars didn't need all this stuff!)

Oh, and what about chains? What size do we need?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 AM

C300 4Matic
Good idea to get a small snow shovel just incase of anything!

I have no idea about the chains for our cars...
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
happy new year
Old 02-07-2008, 01:57 AM

'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Doesn't the owners manual say something to the effect of turning ESP off when you feel you are stuck and extra wheel spin is needed for forward momentum? No doubt the shoveling helped, but I bet you would have freed the car by just turning the ESP off. Your pops was just reaching in air to sound informative, he was right to an extent but not really.

-Ryan
Old 02-07-2008, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
I'm also from Vancouver and was driving all night tonight and had simply no problems with my 300 4M. I pass others with ease and not a hint of sliding or loss of control at anytime. I'm surprised you had that problem, possibly it was just a one time thing or something. But it's snowing like crazy eh and its february! I want sun hahaha
Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Kung hei fat choi!

iirc, 4Matics have open diffs. ESP off might mimic the effects of an LSD to an extent to help get out of the snow as well as allow for more wheel spin.

I've done more than my fair share of snow drifting in the ML and not once has it simply refused to move.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM

2006 CLK350
radiance, happy CHINESE new year. sounds like spotless isnt happy that MANY people refer to it as chinese, instead of lunar. Even if it was wrong, why does it bother you? who cares, it can be whatever new year you want it to be.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
When stuck in snow/mud, turn off ESP and rock the car out.

If you leave it on, it'll just lock up your wheels every time you try and spin them to free yourself.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM

2008 C300
I don't know anyone OTHER than my wife's Chinese family that celebrates New Year's today. Are there other cultures that celebrate New Years today...to me it is Chinese New Years.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by MikeInCanada
I don't know anyone OTHER than my wife's Chinese family that celebrates New Year's today. Are there other cultures that celebrate New Years today...to me it is Chinese New Years.
Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

Celebrated in areas with large populations of ethnic Chinese, Chinese New Year is considered a major holiday for the Chinese and has had a strong influence on the new year celebrations of its geographic neighbours, as well as cultures with whom the Chinese have had extensive interaction. These include Koreans, Mongolians, Nepalese, Bhutanese, Vietnamese, and formerly the Japanese before 1873. In Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, and other countries with significant Chinese populations, Chinese New Year is also celebrated, largely by overseas Chinese, but it is not part of the traditional culture of these countries. In Canada, although Chinese New Year is not an official holiday, many ethnic Chinese hold large celebrations and Canada Post issues New Year's themed stamps in domestic and international rates.