C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MB C-Class w204 vs Audi A4 B8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MB C-Class w204 vs Audi A4 B8

I've been a MB owner for 15+ years. Our family currently owns:

'96 C280 Sport
'07 C230 Sport
'01 CLK320 Cab

I like MB because I find their cars fun/easy to drive (as a daily driver), and they are beautiful cars inside and out.

The new w204 design is drop dead gorgeous. After doing tons of research on the w204, I had my heart set on purchasing the new C350 sport, as I am a big fan of the series. However, the new Audi A4 B8 caught my attention and has got me thinking twice about the new C-Class. There new B8 design is nice!

I have never owned an Audi, but I have a friend that has owned two and loves it.

What are your thoughts on the new A4 B8? I believe the new Audi a4 b8 is suppose to arrive in the USA around spring.

Here is a link to some pictures of Audi A4 B8.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4b8/msgs/4216.phtml
and here http://forums.audiworld.com/a4b8/msgs/4230.phtml

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

-esoin

Last edited by esoin; 02-07-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
The B8 is nice and Audi interiors are among the best. I was also considering the B8, A4. Having owned Audi products in the past, however, I don't know if I would get another one. Audi does irritating things. They make cosmetic changes too frequently. Such that, the previous one looks outdated. They make Americans wait forever to get new models, and they always seem to have electrical problems; hopefully the B8 will not. On the other hand, it has been on the road in Europe for a while. The 2.0 turbo engine has a lot of tuning potential and is great right out of the box. It doesn't take 8 quarts of oil either .

The A4 is more sporty and less luxurious than the C. I think the C looks way better though.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 BMW 323i
Originally Posted by esoin

'96 C280 Sport
'07 C230 Sport
'01 CLK320 Cab

I like MB because I find their cars fun/easy to drive (as a daily driver), and they are beautiful cars inside and out.

The new w204 design is drop dead gorgeous. After doing tons of research on the w204, I had my heart set on purchasing the new C350 sport, as I am a big fan of the series. However, the new Audi A4 B8 caught my attention and has got me thinking twice about the new C-Class. There new B8 design is nice!

I have never owned an Audi, but I have a friend that has owned two and loves it.

What are your thoughts on the new A4 B8? I believe the new Audi a4 b8 is suppose to arrive in the USA around spring.

-esoin

That new A4 is actually a very nice looking machine... and I actually kind of hate Audis, so that is saying alot.

I have driven modern BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis back-to-back and I have to say that in terms of driving, I think BMW and Mercedes are at the top and Audi is a bit behind.

I love the look of the new C-Class and I think its combination of compliant ride and good handling won't be matched by the new A4... this is speculation of course.

The Audi will also depreciate more rapidly as Audis have never really been residual value champions
Old 02-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Audi A4
I currently own a 2004 A4 and am having the same issue... Lease is coming up and I am trying to decide on the w204 C350 or the B8 A4 3.2. Both cars are beautiful.

I haven't had a single electrical issue with my Audi (or any issues with it at all). That was an issue in the past (B5) and is irrelevant... A look at the reliability ratings and you will see what I mean. I will agree that Audi make cosmetic changes too often, but this new A4 is going along with the rest of the Audi line and I don’t think we will see a change for sometime... But I thought that with the B6 as well.

As far as comparison tests... The BMW wins them all. Audi and Mercedes are getting closer, but still are not there yet. Car and Driver ran the w204 C300, vs the 08 CTS, vs the 08 G35, vs the 07 BMW 328i... Guess who was last place? The w204 C300. And first place? The BMW, like always. But I don't want a BMW... Everyone has them.

Since the new A4 hasn't hit the states yet there aren't any comparison articles that I can find. Give it a few months... They'll be out. I plan to read a few of those and of course will need to drive this new Audi. If I get a C350 it will be a 09 anyway... I want the paddle shifters.

And do you need options? The new A4 has all the options you could want. In my opinion the C350 looks a little nicer, but the A4 has a better interior along with things that you can't get on the C. Back up camera, ski package (built in ski/snowboard bag), memory seats, heated front AND rear seats (ventilated as well), keyless go, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, side assist, 3 zone climate control, navigation with traffic (although I hear you can get this on the C?)... Let's be honest, as far as options go the C350 is lacking. But it's one sexy car that might just end up in my garage in September.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Couple of things here, the B8 A4 does look great inside and out, but I don't understand car magazines and people in general when they say Audi has the best interiors in the business. I sat in a B7 A4 before I bought my new C and it was the exact same as the BMW 3 series I was getting rid of. It had the same layout inside as far as dash, center console, and gauges, but the Audi had some serious button issues. Why in the world would you have cheap feeling scroll wheels for everything, examples such as the volume control on the steering wheel and for the heated seats, I wasn't impressed with any of the interiors of the Audi's I sat in inside the show room.

As for Audi updating the cars too often, I have noticed that too, but for the most part you can write that off to the fact that the B7 which was really just a B6 with some updated parts as being old. When a car has been around that long they need to do something to make it look new and sell. Although they do end up doing little things on all their models every year, just enough so that the people who own last years model notice but others not so much. Gets annoying doesn't it..be warned I have a feeling the C class is going to be much the same.

The test between the BMW, Caddy, Infiniti, and the Benz was so rigged. Their test as based solely on the opinions of the people doing the test and when it came down to actual facts all the cars were so close that they virtually tied, what made one car win over another was the opinion of the person reviewing the car. I wrote almost a full page on the problems with that test on here in a thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/220570-car-driver-review-latest-issue.html

I've also made a case about the A4 on another thread but heres the shorten version. I was very close to buying a A4 with the 2.0 turbo 4, I had my color and all the options picked out and would be driving one today if it weren't for the my dealership of choice not getting one in soon enough. I didn't want to wait for the new C's to come out and I surely didn't want a w203 (I already had one earlier and there wasn't much of a change to justify getting another one). So in the process of waiting for an Audi I hit up the forums and found that the 2.0 turbo engine has quite a few problems, which is strange because all the reviews claim its won awards for being such a great engine. Problems I found had to do with the DV valves and PCV valves even if the engines weren't modded they had a problem of failing. So I just waited for the new C and I'm glad I did.

You have to go check out the B8 A4 when it comes out, then go check out the new C and make up your mind. Don't go by what other people tell you or you will just end up kicking yourself every time you get into your car to drive it...been there done that..learned my lesson..get what you want not what others want you to get.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 02-07-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
One thing to consider; Audi has changed its a4 model 3 times in less than 7 years! 2002, 2005 and 2008. I used to like the a4, but I dont want to buy a car and have a new model out in 3 years.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI

'96 C280 Sport
'07 C230 Sport
'01 CLK320 Cab

-esoin

test drive both
Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600

'96 C280 Sport
'07 C230 Sport
'01 CLK320 Cab

-esoin

Mercedes!!!! Don't go Audi. PLLLLEEEEZZZZZ
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM

C200 AMG W204
Dont believe the hype (dont believe the pictures actually) in person A4 is less impressive.
If you see an old A4 on the road and the new next to it you will think that its another facelift Audi pulled out of the hat again...
And if we are talking for FWD car you cannot compare with the C in driving terms.
Now all the pitsi glitsi Christmass is back to town interior not for me i ll pass.
No second thoughts here i love the merc more day by day and this looks like a good marrriage relashionship.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:50 AM

MB 2008 C300 sport, 2008 Rally blue Subaru Impreza 2.5 SI 1995 MB C280 W202
have a look at the Canadian W204 write up

http://www.globeauto.com/servlet/sto...GlobeAuto/home

I like Audi....handling is awesome in snow... especially Canadian Winter.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM

2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 1999 E320, 2008 C350

B8 A4 won't be in the US until Sept.-Oct. '08 as an '09 model.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
I've always liked/respected Audi, but mostly for their performance potential, not for their looks. And personally, I've always favored performance over appearance, so Audi regularly scored higher than M-B in my books. But on this one, I gotta go with the w204. It just looks too beautiful not to buy!

The new A4 will no doubt be another easily modified platform (go FI!), but the looks, the looks, the looks! I can't stand it. No offense, but the new A4 looks like an mixture of Lexus IS door panels and a Chevy Malibu rear bumper. Ack! The only thing I like are the tail lights, and even those look to be lifted from the new BMW 3.

I make no sense, as usual. The above are all observations of an untrained eye. Apologies.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:11 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Thought he was trying to compair the w204 to the R8 (not B8)
Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM

c300
Had an 03 A4, an 01 A8 and currently have an 07 Q7. The current look of the B8 A4 bores the hell out of me, it's just so blah. I'm hoping that there'll be an s-line package, or titanium package to dress it up a little.

One thing to consider, Audi's ride hard compared to MB. I don't know what their problem is, or why they make them so stiff. Even with the Q's air suspension set on comfort it's still 2x stiffer than my w204.

Only had one problem with my A8 that was a big deal; and it was a known issue that popped up. The A4 and the Q have had little issues, just like my W204. But I honestly feel that the Audis are better built without as much cost cutting.

At the same price point, Audis will always have more equipment too. No ****ing around with lack of memory seats or BS like that which MB seems to enjoy pulling. Our Q was loaded and still 6k under the GL.