C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Carlsson V.S Brabus ==> suspension kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 c43
Carlsson V.S Brabus ==> suspension kits

Any pros / cons when pick between Carlsson / Brabus suspension kits ?

which kits is more aggressive and which one is more comfort ?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 AM

2008 C300 Sport/2006 e55 amg
I have the same question

I want to lower my car, but I know that just lowering with some springs is a VERY VERY VERY bad idea. But with the new suspension I get I want it be be up to par or superior to mercedes stock suspension. I love the way mercedes ride, thats why I have had so many, so I dont want to change that.

Anyone know more?

Or should I forget about lowering it all together?

Shaun
Old 02-10-2008, 11:29 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
In most cases, when you swap out the OEM springs with lowered aftermarket springs in excess of .25-.50", the "useable" travel or reach the OEM shocks were designed for is altered, thus adversely effecting ride quality and longevity. To give you a better explanation of what is happening, when a shock is manufactured, certain design traits are inherently built into the system. Designers valve and setup each shock depending on it's length, the weight that will be exerted on to it, and several other factors proprietary to each shock manufacturer and application. When you go and in a sense readjust that same shock by lowering it's height, you throw off those design characteristics it was built to accommodate / handle.

This is the reason why shocks on vehicles that have been lowered with springs die out 50% quicker than non modified shocks.

But with that said, it's all a matter of time, and how low you go. A drop of .25-.50" usually won't effect much. It's when you go over .75-1.00" that things can get out of whack (not to mention camber and tires issues). It's the price you pay for performance.

The right way, or I should rephrase that, the more economical way (for those who want to look at the big picture, not necessary the $$$ amount) is to get an aftermarket spring and shock or coil over setup designed specifically for your application. Sure you'll spend more $$$, but hey you'll only have to do it once and for the most part, these setups usually offer multiple levels of adjustment, including ride height, and firmness. The drawback to these setups however is that they usually can never match or meet the OEM ride quality due to the fact they're intended for either track or more spirited driving. But then again, if you're in the market for a lowered suspension, chances are you're not using your MB to go to the grocery store - you'll be able to live with the difference in ride quality.

Last but not least, I briefly touched on camber and tires issues. Whenever you lower your car more than .25", either with springs or a full suspension setup, you will need a wheel alignment to get things back to factory spec. In some cases, vehicles lowered in excess of 1" cannot be brought back to spec with conventional means, and may require additional components such as an aftermarket toe/camber kit to help it get back to factory spec. Check with the spring or suspension manufacturer BEFORE you buy!!! Sure you can live with a little negative camber, but if it's to much, you will wear out your tires in as little as 5-10K miles on the street.

Some food for thought, for those looking to lower your C...
Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I called Eibach about a month ago and the the rep said their Pro Kit springs can be used with the stock shocks (big surprise). The springs will lower the sport about 1/2 inch since it's already lower. I think that would be perfect. The lux will be lowered just over an inch. I have always heard that Eibachs were designed to be used with stock shocks, but I am leary of that.

H&R makes springs for the new C as well. I ran H&Rs and Bilstein shocks on my 2003 Passat and the ride was really good. Actually better on 18" wheels than on the OE 15". I also had Eibachs with Boge Turbogas shocks (essentially stock) on one of my cars and they were really good. B+G springs are horrid. Wait a few more months. The popularity of this car will not go un-noticed. The number aftermarket offerings should increase.

You can get the springs here:

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

My question is...shouldn't the shocks on the C compensate for the firmer lower aftermarket springs because of the way they are designed? Don't they adjust themselves through the way they are valved or something?

I agree w/ Ducatiguy. This is something that you only want to do once. Also, no matter how low you go, if you take your suspension apart, you should always have the alignment checked.

Last edited by Derspeed; 02-10-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
if you slam the car you will never be able to bring it up tp specs, but 1" to 1 1/2" no problem
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

I drive 2008 C350
I got mine lowered with H & R Spring for abut 1 1/4 inches.

So far so good. Spring is hard, absorb most the vibration. For some reason its more comfy that before modded.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 AM

2008 C350 & other fine MB products
I want to lower mine (Brookes) but l fear pretty much what Ducati had to say. Very well written by the way! I don't want to make a mod that will ultimately cost me in the future.

what have we all decided about the best method to lower at least an inch? For me anything less just isnt worth it.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 AM

W205 c43
I am waiting for either Carlsson or Brabus to release the PSS9(Bilstein) equivalent suspension kits(fully adjustable). The Bilstein already release the PSS9/10 for W204, not sure if anyone try or heard anyone installed on their C class ?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 AM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
^Really? Nice info... Ill look into that.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by uhear
I want to lower mine (Brookes) but l fear pretty much what Ducati had to say. Very well written by the way! I don't want to make a mod that will ultimately cost me in the future.

what have we all decided about the best method to lower at least an inch? For me anything less just isnt worth it.
^+1