C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
900s, 993
Car cover

So due to my place of business not having covered parking I think I need a cover (instead of having the car sit out in 95-100 degree temps. all summer). Are there any recommendations on brands??

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Yes, don't use one!

It's been my personal experience, that using a car cover outdoors over a long period of time (even those designated as all weather out door type) do in fact more harm to the car than good. Covers that are used outside are in direct contact with the elements. Whether it be wet or dry, a certain amount of debris and residue always ends up on the cover. When you remove and fold the cover up for storage or later use, that debris and residue shifts around and always finds its way on the inside (car surface side). Now the next time you go and put that cover on, you end up with scratches. No matter how careful you are, the cover pretty much always finds its way to touch the floor, or get dirty. Unless you're using two or three people, dusting down and cleaning your car prior to covering it and shaking the hell out of the cover each time you use it, you will end up scratching or marking your paint.

Another thing covers are infamous for (and yes even those that say they wont, they do) is retaining moisture. When you trap moisture underneath a car cover and then expose the cover to heat from the sun, you get rapid paint deterioration / oxidation. What would have normally taken years, a bad cover will do in a matter of a few weeks or even days.

Last but not least, covers attract BAD attention. Lets face it, if its covered, you're got something you want to keep away from 1: the elements and 2: possibly human eyes. I've had police officers tell me, cars that are covered are more likely to get broken in to or stolen because thieves know you've got something worth protecting. Now obviously this isn't true for everyone and everywhere, but if you think about it, it does make sense. In fact some NYC parking garages have outlawed the use of covers for that exact reason. Curious people wanting to take a peek underneath them, ultimately ruining the car by scratching it - ending up with crazy law suits from car owners.

The only car covers that I use are the indoor type made by Cover Craft, and are on cars that I have fully detailed and want to keep dust / debris free. These covers are very soft and are not intended for outdoor use. Even with the indoor type, you can still harm the paint, but the chances of potentially harmful (outdoor) debris ending up on or inside the cover is less likely and as long as the environment which it is kept in clean (ie a garage), you're at much lesser odds of an eye sore happening...

Just something to think about before you throw a cover on your car ...
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 AM

900s, 993
thanks for the reply. I have weighed the scratch factor (not fully though). MB's are like chevys out in silicon valley but... my last car got pretty beat up by the sun so just a thought.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, apparently this is another topic on which I disagree with my esteemed colleague.

I use the cover from MB, which is made with a material that is weather resistant, not weather-proof. And, I agree with him in that I always cover the car indoors [our condo garage is covered and secure, but open grills at each end mean that dust and wind can enter], but outdoors, I use the cover selectively. If it's going to rain, my advice is to take the cover off and let the car get wet - dry it off when it's convenient and then recover it.

When we're on the road, the car is always covered unless it is very windy, and/or rainy. I have never had scratching problems on the paint, but then I am also meticulous about keeping the car clean.

In summary, I use a cover on all of our cars, but you need to recognize that there is no such thing as a cover you can put on and keep on all the time.....the car has to be clean and dry, and the cover has to come off when it's going to rain or when the wind is kicking up. If you really care about your car, a cover is indeed a good idea....just be clear that it is work, and you can't walk away and forget it.

The "official" MB accessory cover is similar to a number of others sold by the biggies, including Covercraft. It's a Kimberly Clark material called "Block It" - it's not especially heavy, but is fairly bulky when folded. Others are more compact, but heavier. Generally, you get what you pay for - beware anything in this size car that sells for less than about $175. For one of our cars, I tried a cheapee, and it was useless.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM

900s, 993
thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Almost a Member!

C300 4 Matic
What about for snow? I wanted to use it for heavy snow so I can just pull the cover off and not worry about having to brush off or wait for it to melt. I considered buying one until I felt the fabric and it didn't feel like it would do well outdoors.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C 350 Obsidian Black
I wouldn't use a car cover for snow. You will essentially be draging a fabric with a lot of weight over your entire vehicle. I don't care how soft/smooth the fabric is, that just doesn't sound good for the paint.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by red309
What about for snow? I wanted to use it for heavy snow so I can just pull the cover off and not worry about having to brush off or wait for it to melt. I considered buying one until I felt the fabric and it didn't feel like it would do well outdoors.
Um, whenever there is any moisture it is a no-no to use covers as stated twice above.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I wouldn't cover my car unless it was washed first. Driving it and picking up dirt and then covering it might be a mistake.

I opened my cover the other day, and it was so cumbersome, I put it back.