C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

mm screen in non mm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
mm screen in non mm?

can non mm owers just use the whole screen setup up? i know nav wont work at aleast am assuming just want the bigger screen and maybe add a dvd player
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Welcome to MBW
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Sounds like a very costly idea..just buy the MM package and think of it like getting the 7.1 surround sound, 12 speakers and navigation as freebies.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
i emailed mercedes tech dept. they said that u can't get it seperatly. factory option only. but i don't know about getting one out of a wrecked 08. It might work let me know if you try im curious also
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 AM

c300
i find it hard to believe! so if you were to break yours how would you go about replacing it?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:33 AM

1963 220Sb
Replacing it because it is broken is different than putting in a different module than what your car came with. It's not just the screen, but the motors for the screen and probably some wiring.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by one sick c
can non mm owers just use the whole screen setup up? i know nav wont work at aleast am assuming just want the bigger screen and maybe add a dvd player
I don't want to sound mean, but that's why I recommend getting the W204 with MM, also what you can do is convert the radio screen for your sun glasses storage compartment and install and after market touch screen radio unit, you will have navi, phone touch pad and DVD player
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM

c300
gettting the whole mm means i need to get a new c class so no i dont want to just get the whole package. the screen has to come with the housing and motor and that what am looking to get. guess ill be calling mbusa

Last edited by one sick c; 03-18-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
In the past Benz parts were pretty much interchangable, meaning if you got say a C300 and wanted options from a C350 you could just go to the parts department and order replacement parts that would easily fit in. With this new car all the parts seem to be different in some way shape or form so that just ordering replacement parts won't work. I read the board here and found that someone wanted to add Sirius to a non p1 car, I was going to be at the dealership that weekend so I went ahead and asked my service adviser. He pulled up the part numbers and came to the conclusion that non p1 cars or cars without Sirius have a whole different radio than those with p1. Pretty crazy I know, but thats just the start of it, if you don't order p1 and want to add the home link option or the auto dimming review mirror you can't, non p1 cars aren't even wired for the options? So theres a good chance that the wiring or the radio itself wouldn't support the MM screen on non MM optioned cars.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM

1963 220Sb
MB has also apparently reduced the amount of excess wiring in this generation C class to save weight, so it is very possible that the wiring won't even be back there...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM

C350
I am actually looking into doing the same. When i purchased my car it had barely come out and they didnt have any with the MM Package. But now i want to get but i am getting the run around at the dealers. So lets say i would just get an aftermarket stereo then do you guys think that the computer will start sending all kinds of error msgs to the dash.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM

C350
I also bought the non-mm and would be interested in upgrading the screen. Just out of curiosity; how much are you willing to spend to upgrade the screen?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
just replace everything with an alpine system. it has some nice fearures but the cost would be a lot higher than buying it without the factory unit
Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM

C350
Honestly i dont mind about the money, I just wanted to have the factory look. Plus i was worried that if i do change the head unit it will start giving errors or something will start flashin on the dash like it does if you remove even a bulb. I have my Factory stereo connected to an Audio Control DQL-8 and I have Focal Components all the way around powered by 2 JL Audio Amps with a 13w7 powered by a 1000.1. It sounds great and i get no error msgs.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500 SPORT
hey man if you really want the mm then just trade your car in and get another c class with it in it. you will probably pay more trying to wire it all up and you still have to get MM Deck. So you can do one of three things: wait until someone wrecks there mercedes(hopes this never happens ever) and buy the deck, call mbusa and there going to tell you no or you can get another c class w/ mm. I don't have MM either and i wanted to get it, emailed mbusa tech dept. and they said no its a factory installed item. if u do find a deck and try please inform all of us because we would like to know.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM

c300
i dont understand why people keep posting the same bs to trade in the car! like come on if people wanted to trade it in they would do so. not everyone wanted to spend the 3g's like me! i have another car wit nav my c300 i just want the screen no nav or huge harddrive just dont need it. no one knows how to do it so they say it cant be done to me that pretty stupid has anyone of those techs from mb actually tried highly doubtfull or have they even seen the actually unit out the car also highly doubtfull!!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
I'll do it for you to save face for the MB techs, you have a lot of extra money laying around? because i am sure you are going to be buying some new parts, spend some time on the diagnostic computer, but just think, the next person will get it done a lot cheaper for all your financial contributions.

Let me guess you might of been a domestic vehicle owner prior to this vehicle. because the 204 has a whole lot of electronics that communicate throughout the vehicle with other modules, specifically the CANBUS System, the MOST fiber optic system, SAM, instrument cluster, steering wheel, and a whole crap load of other modules in between. Plus the vehicle is sent with the software for that vehicle which is associated with the VIN...

i am sure there is a dealership in every state that would love to take your money.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
and 3G's is a steal for what you get, try doing that with after-market equipment.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:41 PM

c300
no one is sayin different not everyone wanted to pay for it y keep insisting
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM

C350
Just went to the Dealer, they said that if i were to trade in my car i would get roughly $36K and then to get a new C350 with everything i have plus the MM Package it would be $45 + Tax/Lic... Hmmm... is it really worth the $10k+... Im just gonna go with an after market headunit instead. I will post pics how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
i dont understand why people keep posting the same bs to trade in the car! like come on if people wanted to trade it in they would do so. not everyone wanted to spend the 3g's like me! i have another car wit nav my c300 i just want the screen no nav or huge harddrive just dont need it. no one knows how to do it so they say it cant be done to me that pretty stupid has anyone of those techs from mb actually tried highly doubtfull or have they even seen the actually unit out the car also highly doubtfull!!
Your simple answer is no to adding the whole MM/Nav package. Although the service tech wouldn't come out and say it, he hinted to the fact that if you were to attempt it you could need a whole new wiring harness for the car. Have fun ripping that out! Parts don't just swap in and out of this car, if you order a car with a certain option, only the parts needed to make that option are included. The reason no service tech has attempted to do this upgrade would most likely be that if they did it would void your warranty as its not a practice advised by Benz. If all you really want is that screen, buy the replacement parts and I'm sure someone at a local stereo shop can rig something up for you..hopefully without a boat load of errors every time you start your car.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:52 PM

c220 cdi sport
An answer to an old thread...

Hi

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5Fkawy-_g

Having watched this video, i think it is possible to have just a motorised screen. To me it seems that the connector modules will be standard. notice the way the car navigiation is dismantled. nothing but plug and play connectors. I know that the guy didnt remove the screen itself, but i could see the screws that would need to be removed to do so. Also, i gather the key to this whole thing is havinh HK sound for some reason. maybe to do with the type of wiring harness used..?

btw, in the same boat as you! I opted for my own sat nav (smart nav) cause i like the fact i phone through destinations and get told of traffic jams (smartnav). though i opted for 6 disc changer and HK sound, i would like the larger screen. as someone said, shame it wasnt an option without the navigation. could have gone for the package, but something was telling me at the back of my mind, what muppet would have two sat navs in the car?!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Upgrade??

Originally Posted by Bokx_350
I also bought the non-mm and would be interested in upgrading the screen. Just out of curiosity; how much are you willing to spend to upgrade the screen?
Act in haste, repent at leisure.

The Service manager at my dealer told me last week that MB is bringing out a $1700 package to upgrade non-MM cars to MM. He did not elaborate and I know nothing further.

I don't see how all of the features of MM could be added, given that none of the wiring or the entire speaker and amp package is missing.

And for $1700 dealer retail, there is no way they could be included.

Those curious can badger their parts managers about it.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM

C300
The 1700 $ upgrade might be the new UMI upgrade for non MM systems. This would give you many new options but no 7" screen. Unfortunately my car doesn't have the MM package but it was a sweet deal (2000 miles for 26000 from an auction in Cali ) I also managed to buy used 7" display with all the motors and plastic covers etc.for only 160 euros.I was told that it will work just fine by a service menager but he won't do it just because of the warranty .He also told me that I shoud change someting in the service menue. The problem is i am still in europe and I don't know if it will work without any error messages but once I get back i'll let you gus know .
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by tanktube67
I don't want to sound mean, but that's why I recommend getting the W204 with MM, also what you can do is convert the radio screen for your sun glasses storage compartment and install and after market touch screen radio unit, you will have navi, phone touch pad and DVD player
That is actually what I am using my screen for

I only paid 1k for my screen with install

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mm screen in non mm?