C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

6MT Owners: DireWolf Wants to Hear from You

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 12:55 PM

BMW R1200GS
6MT Owners: DireWolf Wants to Hear from You

Greetings, friends.

I'm in the market. I've done my research. I've looked at the stats. But now I need more opinions--the metaphysical, if you will.

I'm looking at doing Euro Delivery this fall. I drove the C300 Sport (which is what I want), but I can't find a dealer that carries it in a 6MT. I thought the automatic was sluggish and shifty--skittish on the gearing and felt laborious to get a decent zip.

I am seriously considering the 6MT for 2 reasons:

1. I love a RWD car mixed with a MT. Fun, sporty, and offers a more 'spirited' drive.

2. I loathe the automatic in the C300.

So, any of you with a 6MT . . . I want to hear from you. How does it feel? Does it shift smoothly? Soft clutch? Zippy enough for you (more so than the auto)? Please be frank--I need good, solid info (as it scares the hell out of me to order a MT car that I've never driven AND fly to Germany to get it).

Thanks, gents (and ladies).

DireWolf

x
Old 03-18-2008 | 01:49 PM

'06 M Coupe, '06 BMW R1200GS ADV, '06 BMW HP2, '06 KTM 950 ADV, '09 MB C300W MT-6 (arrving July '09)
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Greetings, friends.

I'm in the market. I've done my research. I've looked at the stats. But now I need more opinions--the metaphysical, if you will.

I'm looking at doing Euro Delivery this fall. I drove the C300 Sport (which is what I want), but I can't find a dealer that carries it in a 6MT. I thought the automatic was sluggish and shifty--skittish on the gearing and felt laborious to get a decent zip.

I am seriously considering the 6MT for 2 reasons:

1. I love a RWD car mixed with a MT. Fun, sporty, and offers a more 'spirited' drive.

2. I loathe the automatic in the C300.

So, any of you with a 6MT . . . I want to hear from you. How does it feel? Does it shift smoothly? Soft clutch? Zippy enough for you (more so than the auto)? Please be frank--I need good, solid info (as it scares the hell out of me to order a MT car that I've never driven AND fly to Germany to get it).

Thanks, gents (and ladies).

DireWolf

x
you and me both when i asked my dealer about a C300 sport 6MT, he looked at me as if i was speaking chinese i dont understand MB's auto policy, especially on the AMG cars. what a waste! i would have switched long ago from BMW to MB if they offered more MT cars...

i see you ride a 12GS, me too i have an 12GS ADV.
Old 03-18-2008 | 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 G63 AMG
your dealer is an idiot.
I'm in canada aswell.

and ive seen a few 6 speed manual ones in the showroom.
Tell your salesman that you know for a FACT that you can get one.
and tell him to do his job properly and learn the car
Old 03-18-2008 | 04:01 PM

'06 M Coupe, '06 BMW R1200GS ADV, '06 BMW HP2, '06 KTM 950 ADV, '09 MB C300W MT-6 (arrving July '09)
Originally Posted by vcruiser
your dealer is an idiot.
I'm in canada aswell.

i think you mis-understood me, vc

the sales guy didn't say that i couldn't get a 6MT, it just sounded so foreign to him since no one orders 6MT i guess people who buy MB always order auto

i would die of boredom if i drove an auto
Old 03-18-2008 | 05:41 PM

BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by vcruiser
your dealer is an idiot.
I'm in canada aswell.

Nah, he can definitely order one for me--he knows that MB makes them--they just don't stock them. I even frequent Vegas and they told me the same thing--the MT are the LAST benzo's on the lot and so they stopped carrying them.

Seems odd they don't have ONE, esp with the new Sport models.
Old 03-18-2008 | 05:42 PM

BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by kahoon

i see you ride a 12GS, me too i have an 12GS ADV.
Yes, I do. Dig it.
Old 03-18-2008 | 05:44 PM

BMW R1200GS

i would die of boredom if i drove an auto
It's not just a boredom thing . . . it's that I find the C300 to be quite porky, esp given its small size. I don't even think the 350 offers enough to make it competitive in its class.

Anyway, I think I need a MT to get a more spirited drive from the C300; besides, I prefer them anyway.
Old 03-18-2008 | 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I have the manual transmission. I got it for the same reasons you've stated. it is the manual I have ever owned. The clutch is very light. It seems that I don't have to shift as often either because of the gearing. I really like it. I only had a chance to 6th gear once before I put it away for the winter.
Old 03-18-2008 | 06:02 PM

BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by Derspeed
it is the manual I have ever owned.
You're missing the operative word there. Is the the BEST manual you've ever owned, the WORST, the COOLEST, the what-ever ?

Does the car feel a little more nimble with the MT? Can you really race it if you want to--run the RPS a little higher and have some fun, or is it static and boring?
Old 03-18-2008 | 06:11 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Manual

<<You're missing the operative word there. Is the the BEST manual you've ever owned, the WORST, the COOLEST, the what-ever ? Does the car feel a little more nimble with the MT? Can you really race it if you want to--run the RPS a little higher and have some fun, or is it static and boring?>>

You had better drive one before you order in the blind. I just read yet another road test someplace that complained that the shifting was "notchy."

Mercedes has NEVER been known for their manual boxes because they sell so few. The last one I drove felt like a broomstick in a bucket of rocks.

And get a clue, the fact that the dealers don't order them for stock means there is low demand for them which means resale will be difficult and trade-in numbers will be lower. Of course, if you are just leasing, it's not your car anyway.
Old 03-18-2008 | 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by RLE
...And get a clue, the fact that the dealers don't order them for stock means there is low demand for them which means resale will be difficult and trade-in numbers will be lower. Of course, if you are just leasing, it's not your car anyway.
absolutely! when i found out that the 6MT models only exist on mars, i'm definitely leasing mine! that'd be a huge risk, unless ofcourse you're planning to keep it for a long time...

another dealer has mentioned that a C230 6MT maybe coming in the next few weeks. he promised to send me out for a test drive if it arrives... if it happens, i'll post my impressions.

cheers
Old 03-19-2008 | 12:25 AM

C300 sport 6spd w/Navi
The 6MT is awesome. I only drive stick, my other sports car is a ZO6. The clutch is nice and light, the tranny shifts very smooth and is not notchy at all. The tranny of two generations ago was terrible but they have come a long way. i have driven the automatic C300 sport and it was very boring to me. Not fun at all, driver input of the throttle was sluggish and there was a lag from a stop when you go. The 6spd is hands down quicker then the automatic. If you like manuals i would say go for it. Shifting between gears is very smooth and not jerky at all. Sometimes its feels like I am shifting an auto when I am driving normal. That is just an example of how smooth it is. Heal toe rev match downshifing is a breeze with the pedal layout. In the long run, the manuals due to limited availability will be the cars that are sought after and will go for a premium. Dont let anyone out there tell you the resale value will be bad cause its a manual. There are always enthusiasts out there who want the manual. Hell, i am looking for an e30 325i in a manual to convert to a race car and they are hard to come across and when I do, they are selling for $2-3K over the autos.
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C300 Sport Sedan Manual, Uridium Silver, 18" AMG's
Dittos here on the Manual. I previously owned the 2004 C230 manual before this car. Although I enjoyed the car alot, the manual trans on the W203 was kinda cheesy.

The C300 manual is very smooth shifting.

The most important thing to me is the fun factor.

When I first test drove the car with the auto I said wow, I really like this car.

However, when I finally found a manual to test drive I said, wow, now this just adds the element of fun and I didn't want the test drive to end!

Besides, I noticed the auto sometimes hesitated for like two long seconds when you floored the car and tried to get it to down shift and accelerate.

Only problem with the manual, there have been a couple of times when I've found it hard to find the third gear. I mean it was there but I had to find the right spot to get it to go there.

Overall though, it's great and if I couldn;t get into the C300 6 manual, I would have most likely gone for the BMW 3 Series Manual instead. I also leased.
Old 03-19-2008 | 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
I couldn't be more glad that I bought a 6MT and not an auto. Of course, my opinions are entirely biased because I refuse to drive automatics. Even so, there indeed is a world of difference between the manual and the automatic.

I test drove first the auto after I fell in love with the looks of the car. I wasn't impressed. Then a dealer found a manual for me to test drive. But I didn't get to drive it as much or as hard as I would've liked to (traffic, etc) so I couldn't notice much difference at the time. But then automatics were out of the question to begin with.

The last two weeks that I've driven the car after delivery have effectively converted me from being a BMW fan. To be honest, the manual is not the best. There is a little bit of notchiness. I have wondered why it couldn't be smoother. Also, the shifter shakes a bit more than I'd like at idle. However, the problems are really not that big a deal, and I'm being really nitpicky.

The action feels positive, whatever that means, and I've never had problems getting into any gear at different RPMs. Despite the mild notchiness and all, the gearbox works pretty well. Smooth, but not loose. I'd prefer that the shift knob be a little lower, but that's a personal choice that I can fix with an aftermarket knob, I think.

More than anything else, however, I feel like (almost believe) that this engine was meant to be mated to a manual transmission. The manual makes the car feel much more responsive (maybe more than it really is?), and makes the driver feel faster. I dunno how to really explain it. I guess it's that "metaphysical" stuff the OP talked about. But then I think the same is true with any car, not just the w204. I dunno. Just get a manual. That's what I do whenever I get a car. It works for me.

I do wish that they'd offered the C350 with a manual though. Would've liked that. Why, M-B? Why? But as somebody said, it's always more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. And I think the manual helps me do that. So I think I'm good.
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:04 AM

thanks for the write up guys excellent feedback!

one request please, can one you take interior pics of your car showing both the pedal setup and the shifter?

really appreciated!

Old 03-19-2008 | 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DireWolf
You're missing the operative word there. Is the the BEST manual you've ever owned, the WORST, the COOLEST, the what-ever ?

Does the car feel a little more nimble with the MT? Can you really race it if you want to--run the RPS a little higher and have some fun, or is it static and boring?

Woah...how did that happen?

The word best should be in there. I like it because the clutch is very light. It was advertised as having a "short throw" though. I'd have to disagree with that, but it is more fun than the automatic in my opinion. When I drove a C350 auto, I was really disappointed with the autostick or whatever MB calls it.

I don't like the looks of the chrome trim around the shifter boot. I wish it looked more like the automatic, but that's a minor issue.

You should drive them both before making your decision. I wouldn't say it is more nimble, it just feels more sporty to drive. Also, a manual gives you a little better gas mileage. I think that's why it is not offered with the E85 capability like the C 300 Auto.
Old 03-19-2008 | 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the write up guys excellent feedback!

one request please, can one you take interior pics of your car showing both the pedal setup and the shifter?

really appreciated!

I'll do it tonight if I get bored.
Old 03-19-2008 | 10:59 AM

2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by RLE
And get a clue, the fact that the dealers don't order them for stock means there is low demand for them which means resale will be difficult and trade-in numbers will be lower. Of course, if you are just leasing, it's not your car anyway.

Why is this always mentioned? First off, the manual costs less so why should anyone think that they would get comparable resell down the road? Second, WHY should someone buy a car that resells better instead of the car that they want to drive? You are effectually buying you car for the next person (and taking their depreciation hit, too). This is ridiculous.

To the OP, please consider the car that YOU want and not the car that someone else will want down the road (I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted, but just thought I'd mention it...)
Old 03-19-2008 | 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stick Girl
Why is this always mentioned? First off, the manual costs less so why should anyone think that they would get comparable resell down the road? Second, WHY should someone buy a car that resells better instead of the car that they want to drive? You are effectually buying you car for the next person (and taking their depreciation hit, too). This is ridiculous.

To the OP, please consider the car that YOU want and not the car that someone else will want down the road (I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted, but just thought I'd mention it...)
how about some pics of your interior, stick girl
Old 03-19-2008 | 03:53 PM

BMW R1200GS
Originally Posted by Stick Girl

Thanks. I couldn't agree more. This would be a car for ME, not for the next guy. My issue isn't resell-ability or aftermarket values or anything like that. I want to agree with (someone earlier) about the 6MT being 'unique' and therefore sell-able on the secondary market.

With that said, I'm just not sold. My dealer doesn't have one, he won't get one, and i'm not going to buy it without driving it. I quite like the look of the new C Sport, but there are too many factors keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I really want a nice MT with a RWD car, but they aren't easy to find (in a 4dr). I'm not interested in a BMW (too much money, esp with similar options). I love the look of the new Audi A4 (B8 platform, comes out this fall), but it'll only be released in a FWD for the first 4 months then a quattro. Then I think, 'hell, if I'm going to get a MT and have it mated to a FWD car, I'll look at the new Acura TSX coming out in April (debuts in 2 days at the NY Auto show). Say what you want about Acura (I've thought it all before), but they come stock full of gear, leather, HID, and a silky smooth 6MT all at a reasonable price ($28K MSRP).

So, the MB is quickly falling down the list of my possible purchases. Damnation, I really wanted to go to Germany. Maybe the A4 after all . . .

Old 03-19-2008 | 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you find a another dealership? Any dealership can tell you which dealerships have Cs with a 6spd. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2008 | 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed
Can you find a another dealership? Any dealership can tell you which dealerships have Cs with a 6spd. Just a thought.
are you bored yet??

let see those pics
Old 03-20-2008 | 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A few quick shots

Old 03-20-2008 | 08:01 AM

thanks buddy!!
Old 03-20-2008 | 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks buddy!!
No problem.

Noticed you have a R.

Here's one of my former BMWs. I had a Montana and a Phoenix. Sorry about going off topic.

Last edited by Derspeed; 03-20-2008 at 08:39 AM.