C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Yes. Life is cruel.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Yes. Life is cruel.

Just got into an accident, right around midnight. Wide open, empty 4-lane street (Telegraph Ave. in Oakland for those in the Bay), I had a green light, a car was waiting to turn left. As I entered the intersection, he began to turn. I honked while applying full brake and turning away from the other car. He braked too, but ended up ramming the left side of my car. There are scratches on my left front wheel, and the left side of the bumper (not fender) is pretty much a mess. I drove the car home after the info exchange, and I couldn't notice any signs of wobbling or misalignment... so, I'm kinda hopeful...... =(

The BEST part:

He gave me the most awesome insurance information. 1. He didn't have the right papers, so I couldn't get his policy number. 2. The only proof of insurance that I was shown was a one paragraph notice that he should be receiving his policy papers soon. It was dated July 2006. 3. The Bestest Awesomest Coolest part: The company's name is Low Cost Insurance.

YESSSSS. I scored big time.

No one was hurt. I must remain thankful... right? Barely over two thousand miles, though! I haven't even had my first service yet. I'll post pictures of the damage when my tears have dried enough that I can see again. I'm glad I can touch type.

Sorry for the whining. Had to do it.

Last edited by narky; 04-10-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
I feel your pain! We are glad you are ok..that is the most important thing. Cars can be fixed...so let's hope his insurance is good. That's what sucks in this country..WE have to pay EXTRA to have uninsured motorist insurance in case some JACKASS that SHOULDNT EVEN BE ON THE ROAD without insurance hits US.

I have a solution though.

FIRST time stopped without insurance? LOSE your license for 6 months.

Driving without a valid drivers license? ONE YEAR in JAIL!
(It might sound too strict..but some folks NEED a harsh punishment to deter them from doing things that they know are illegal..but just don't care about.)

Toughen up on these idiots..and the rest of us will be much better off.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Sorry
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Oh wtf, that's not right. Hope his insurance company goes from "Low Cost Insurance" to "I Wish I Wasn't a Lazy, Degenerate *** and Was Up-To-Date With My Insurance Like I Should Insurance."
Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM

BMW E90, W204 C350
hopefully you are ok
hmmm
i wonder if you have his number ?
And did you call the police ?
Cause when i had my accident on my ML
i called the police or some sore of people
but glad that you are ok !!!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 220CDI Sport Auto Estate, Obsidian Black, Black leather, Heated Seats,Pan Roof, Comand,
Sorry to hear that Narky. I totally agree with hazemonster anyone caught without insurance should be banned.
Presume you will have to claim for repair off your insurance, if so how will it affect your premium?
At least metal is easy repairable, Flesh and Bones not so easy to repair.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 AM

'08 C300 Sport White w/ P2 MM & Pano
I feel your pain. My car was in an accident on March 6th, I was rear ended. The person ended up doing about 15k worth of damage to my car. Worst part? I still don't have the car back yet. Its been 5 weeks and I've been driving a Ford Focus. That's life.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 AM

CLS63
sorry narky..................
Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
You're telling me you accepted that "proof of insurance" and didn't call the cops to the scene to file a report?!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

I just talked to my insurance claims adjuster and there is good news! Apparently the gentleman that hit me last night called my insurance company to submit a statement. And my adjuster hopes that he does have insurance. Kinda half-way assuring. And even though the guy is trying to deny responsiblity -- on what grounds, I have no clue -- he pretty much admitted fault in his statement by saying that I was going straight and he was making a left turn. The damages to my left side and to his front corroborate the story.

I'm dropping the car off at the garage today afternoon at 3 pm. Hopefully I'll have it back within... 2 weeks? Keep hope alive, I say.

On a bright note, I'm fast becoming a loyal customer of Progressive. And I've been its customer for only about a month and a half. Adjuster was quite accomodating, and she waived the deductible for me. Not quite sure what that means, but it sounded good. If the other guy has insurance, my deductible shouldn't even need to be waived, no?

Last edited by narky; 04-10-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:17 PM

C350 4MATIC Premium Package Obsidian Black
sorry to hear that man. i guess in BC (Canada) we are lucky because there is only one major insurance provider and its goverment owned. everyone has to buy from them (basic insurance) so claims tend to work faster. any idea on how much damage your car sustained dollar wise?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blastit
how much damage your car sustained dollar wise?
Not sure yet. Will know today afternoon though. I'll try to post a breakdown of the cost.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 PM

2008 C300W
Although it's his fault, you still have to pay the deductible.
I have progressive too. When i got hit by a couple in a Camry (i was still driving a Jeep GC at the time), they and their insurance company denied the claim. It took a few months, but Progressive kept after them (the Camry couple) and I got a check from their insurance company a month ago.
It was a nice surprise after the x-mas credit card statement.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yojason
I have progressive too. When i got hit by a couple in a Camry (i was still driving a Jeep GC at the time), they and their insurance company denied the claim. It took a few months, but Progressive kept after them (the Camry couple) and I got a check from their insurance company a month ago.
That's good to know that Progressive kept after them. I wonder if I could be reimbursed for the damage to the monetary value of the car? I remember a post/thread here that said I could claim as damages the decrease in value this car will have due to the accident. When and if ever I try to sell the car down the road. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Oh, and how long did this process take, from the accident to the check?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by narky
That's good to know that Progressive kept after them. I wonder if I could be reimbursed for the damage to the monetary value of the car? I remember a post/thread here that said I could claim as damages the decrease in value this car will have due to the accident. When and if ever I try to sell the car down the road. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Oh, and how long did this process take, from the accident to the check?
Diminished value. It's still a new car so you might be able to get it.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope everything turns out well.

I had someone hit and run my car which was parked in a pay lot, luckily there were witnesses and passed the license plate number to me. The police tracked down the car and I later found out the driver was uninsured. The driver gave me a sob story about having 5 kids and working 2 shifts at the Ford plant and promised to pay me in cash in two weeks instead of going after his girlfriend's insurance company (which the car was insured under), being the sympathetic person I am I obliged. 2 weeks has passed and we arranged to meet at the city courthouse where he had to appear in court for this hit and run. He disappeared after his hearing (I'm guessing he got a stiff fine and points) and later that evening I told Progressive to go after the driver's girlfriend's insurance company. Progressive got the other party's insurance to pay all of my damages, and I later left a scolding message to the driver about my disappointment and rubbed in how he and his girlfriend will be paying dearly for his stupidity.

I too am really pissed off that I have to pay a premium for uninsured drivers. These losers don't deserve to be on the road in the first place. There should be proof of insurance to renew drivers license and plate stickers, and means to garnish these people's wages to collect on damages they have caused. I will no longer have any sympathy to anyone violating my car.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLC 300 SUV, 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster, 2006 Lexus RX400h
Originally Posted by yojason
Here in NJ, if it isn't your fault you have to pay the deducable up front to get your car fixed but then your insurance company will give it back to you once they get the money from the other insurance co (if they have insurance at least). Unfortunately this can sometimes take a few months!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 AM

08 C300 Sport
Sorry about your accident Narky. Good to know you're not hurt and hope justice will be done!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 AM

C200 AMG W204
Thats bad, but since only metals and plastics are hurt everything its ok.
Im really sorry.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A while ago, when I saw an OP thank the people who replied on another thread about his accident, I thought, "whoa there. a little too emotional, there..." But that's how I feel like now. haha. Thanks for the support, guys. Only other w204 owners can truly understand my pain. I dropped off the car today, and the guy actually said only about 5 days out, so that's good. I very, very briefly thought about using this as an excuse to get the Brabus front ----> eventually Brabus rear ----> then 3-piece Brabus spoiler ---> full conversion, and dreamed and dreamed and dreamed, but I remembered how much all that shat cost, and yah........
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Will the repairers be using the MB ceramic paint to repair your panels?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM

C300 AWD
i think i would have to murder someone...!!! sorry but most people in this ****ed up country need to learn how to drive...

Rules:
1. Over 60 and with perscription glasses thick enough to see other parts of the world...BANNED from driving!

2. Dumb ****s in the left lane doing the speed limit but still in the left lane...
BANNED from driving. I dont care how fast your going...if the right lane is
empty then your retarded *** driving a camry or corolla should be in it!

3. To the Americans who flick you off hiding behind your car window!!!
BANNED from driving...you should also be pulled out of your car and get a swift kick in the throat!

4. If you have a car that is worth more than 60k...and your driving around the speed limit...you should get pulled out of your car...and have your genitalia checked because your just polluting the earth...you might as well drive fast and pollute

5. And finally...driving laws...i mean ****...land of the free, home of the brave...yada yada bull****!!! You can have your windows as dark as you want in one state but not in another... you need insurance in one state but not another...inspections in one state but not another...i mean ****..under one flag but different laws...sorry but the country is *** backwards!!!

6. sorry if I have offended anyone...actually no im not...but being raised in europe...this country has a lot to fix! to big bird
Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 AM

C300 4-matic 2008
sorry narky
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 AM

99 DC2, 08 C350
damn, that sucks man! good things are looking up though!

when i got in accident and it wasnt my fault, i didnt have to pay deductible or anything. other person's insurance took care of everything including rental car
Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM

2008 C300W
The accident was in early June. The check came in February. That's the quickest i've know of. Another time, it took Progressive nearly a year to get the deductible reimbursed.
These things just take time. So nest time i will pay it on the MB Visa card and earn the points!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yes. Life is cruel.