C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clicking noise, left rear wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
Clicking noise, left rear wheel

I did a search and didn't find anything regarding this issue I am having. I notice when I pull away from a stop (slowly) there is a clicking noise coming from my left rear tire. The next time you are starting from a stop, turn off the radio and see if you hear it.

I was wondering if others have determined what it is, and if it is something that needs to be fixed. It only happens when I am between 0 and about 10 mph. If the noise I am hearing is the TPMS sensor broken off and spinning in the tire, then I would most certainly get some sort of alarm...correct?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW E90, W204 C350
maybe you have a rock stuck in your tires
or a nail
anything hard object that may get into the tire or the gaps on the tires can create this clicking sound
Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM

2008 c300
Same thing happened to me, same tire too. It was the TPMS, and I didn't get an indicator or anything telling me that one was bad. Odd, but it happened.

I took my tire off and rolled it down the street to verify and that's indeed what it was. If you want to remove doubt before you take it to the dealer then give that a shot. Horrible sound though isn't it?

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM

2008 C300
You were correct! The TPMS sensor had broken off and was shredding the inside of my tire! I took it to the dealer on the way home, and they figured it out. It's a good thing I took it in, because they said there were pieces of it embedded on the inside of the tire.

The dealer (RBM of Atlanta NORTH) was very good about it, and replaced the wheel and tire (with new sensor inside) and sent me on my way.

I got NO indication that there was anything wrong with the sensor. If you hear a clicking noise coming from any of your tires at slow speeds, I suggest you take it to your dealer and have it checked. Having a tire shredding from the inside is not a good thing...and by going to the dealer....I avoided a blowout!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 PM

C300 4matic
There is something perversely wrong when a federally mandated safety system, put in place because the average person no longer has the will or technical ability to check tire pressure, can lead to a tire shredding from the inside. Has this really made the world a safer place? Thank goodness our regulations here still allow for passive pressure monitoring through ABS / rotational speed sensing.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 AM

2008 c300
I'm going to have to check my paper work once I get it from the dealer on how they repaired mine. I didn't have time to get my paperwork when the car was ready so it's being mailed to me.

If they didn't replace my wheel and tire (especially since I have the wheel and tire protection package) ... the perverbial **** will hit the perverbial fan.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 AM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by nbturbos
I'm going to have to check my paper work once I get it from the dealer on how they repaired mine. I didn't have time to get my paperwork when the car was ready so it's being mailed to me.

If they didn't replace my wheel and tire (especially since I have the wheel and tire protection package) ... the perverbial **** will hit the perverbial fan.

I do have the wheel and tire protection..but this was covered as a factory defect. They wanted to keep my car overnight to replace the tire only, but I asked if they could just take a wheel and tire off one of the low mileage loaners, and they did. That way...I got to take my car home.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Originally Posted by Ted in Toronto
There is something perversely wrong when a federally mandated safety system, put in place because the average person no longer has the will or technical ability to check tire pressure, can lead to a tire shredding from the inside. Has this really made the world a safer place? Thank goodness our regulations here still allow for passive pressure monitoring through ABS / rotational speed sensing.
I've been saying this whole TPMS thing is a complete waste of time and money, making things more expensive and complex for no good reason. Every time I've offered this opinion in the past, I get jumped on. Glad I'm not the only one.

Incidentally, this problem should have thrown the wheel out of balance, so in addition to the low speed clicking, there should have been a high speed vibration - if it was on the rear, it might not have been noticeable enough, though I'm very sensitive to tire/wheel vibrations, more than most.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 AM

2008 C300
Originally Posted by jrct9454
I've been saying this whole TPMS thing is a complete waste of time and money, making things more expensive and complex for no good reason. Every time I've offered this opinion in the past, I get jumped on. Glad I'm not the only one.

Incidentally, this problem should have thrown the wheel out of balance, so in addition to the low speed clicking, there should have been a high speed vibration - if it was on the rear, it might not have been noticeable enough, though I'm very sensitive to tire/wheel vibrations, more than most.
I sure didn't feel anything. The part that broke off was about the size of a tic tac box and weighed about as much as a deck of cards. Others may have felt it though.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:03 PM

2013 C63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Hazemonster
You were correct! The TPMS sensor had broken off and was shredding the inside of my tire! I took it to the dealer on the way home, and they figured it out. It's a good thing I took it in, because they said there were pieces of it embedded on the inside of the tire.

The dealer (RBM of Atlanta NORTH) was very good about it, and replaced the wheel and tire (with new sensor inside) and sent me on my way.

I got NO indication that there was anything wrong with the sensor. If you hear a clicking noise coming from any of your tires at slow speeds, I suggest you take it to your dealer and have it checked. Having a tire shredding from the inside is not a good thing...and by going to the dealer....I avoided a blowout!
was this a loud ticking/knocking type noise? Wondering if I have same thing
Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
I would prefer no TPMS. Checking pressure/adding air ain't no big thang.

ez
Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ezshift5
I would prefer no TPMS. Checking pressure/adding air ain't no big thang.

ez
Unless you are driving and you happen to start losing air having the system will alert you something is wrong. That can help save a tire. Or if there is just a slow leak that is maybe a pound or two a day. You can at least get it repaired before possible excess tire wear takes place. I think that is a great invention and much easier than checking the air in each tire.Just go to the screen on the dash and you can see all four tires.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by rs1985
maybe you have a rock stuck in your tires
or a nail
anything hard object that may get into the tire or the gaps on the tires can create this clicking sound

thats was my clicking...turned out to be a bolt in the tread.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Hazemonster
I do have the wheel and tire protection..but this was covered as a factory defect. They wanted to keep my car overnight to replace the tire only, but I asked if they could just take a wheel and tire off one of the low mileage loaners, and they did. That way...I got to take my car home.

why not just get a loaner and go out on the town with it?