C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MB TEX and a baby seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 mercedes 300c sport
MB TEX and a baby seat

I have a baby due to arive on the 16th of June and was wondering if anyone has put a baby seat on the mb text and if so does it cause any damage

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Just buy a seat protector. Babies R Us or any other baby store will have them.

This is the one I went with. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2267171

The only problem is the seat protector is wide and will need to be taken out if passengers want to sit comfortably(if car seat is in center of car).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 mercedes 300c sport
I was definitly going with the seat protector but I know the car seats crank down pretty tight.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by broke_R
I have a baby due to arive on the 16th of June and was wondering if anyone has put a baby seat on the mb text and if so does it cause any damage

Thanks
Using it on MB TEX. no problems what so ever. Just be careful while placing the baby seat . It also depends what you get as a baby seat. some are of good quality and wont have any sharp objects underneath it.

I use MAXICOSI for 0-12 months. The other seat in the above post is for bigger child.

Last edited by lx Raven xl; 05-15-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
The seat protector says "protects from dents" but I've only had my car a few weeks and can't comment on long term.

As far as tearing or anything like that I don't see it happening. The protector is pretty thick and the MB-Tex seems very durable as well.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
I just put a towel behind and below the seat. Then I cranked the seat down tight. You get a mild deformation, but the first hot day with the windows up, and it is gone.

E
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 AM

c300
Only problems I'm having, is that the seats don't have a ton of cushion to them, so getting the latch belts cranked super tight is problematic (I don't care much if the seat cushion is permanently dented ... traded my last couple of cars in and the dealers couldn't care less.)

Most cars, you can sit on the seat, crank the belts down and then the cushion pushes back on the seat making it nice and tight. In my wife's Audi (we have the same car seat for both cars) it works fine. In the C, there's not enough give in the cushion so no matter how tight I crank it down there's still some slipping around. Also the bolstering is lop-sided, so the seat sits at an angle.

Our neighbor is a delivery nurse and certified for car seat installs ... she says it's safe but she thinks the design sucks from a family hauler point of view.

She's also as baffled as I am that Mercedes doesn't have manual child locks on the rear doors.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:28 PM

'08 C300 Sport, 7SpAuto, P1, MM, 18s, ipod kit.
Graco Snugfit

I have the Graco Snugfit carseat base installed in mine. The base has a nice smooth rounded bottom where the latch belts are. I had both feet on the base while pulling the latch tight. From what I noticed, the MB Tex material is pretty durable. I wouldn't worry too much about dents or tears in the seat.

On a side note... not having child locks sucks.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by oblu
She's also as baffled as I am that Mercedes doesn't have manual child locks on the rear doors.
They don't put child locks on the rear doors for safety reasons.
If you get into an accident or something happens and a rear passenger needs to get out the child locks could be their demise.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

c300
Originally Posted by acr2001
They don't put child locks on the rear doors for safety reasons.
If you get into an accident or something happens and a rear passenger needs to get out the child locks could be their demise.
You obviously don't currently, haven't for awhile, or never have had children.

With every other car I've ever owned (4 BMWs, 2 Hondas, 3 Audis) the manual child lock only prevents the door handle from opening the door while the door is locked. There is absolutely nothing preventing the passenger from manually unlocking the door and then opening it. Or from the door being unlocking/opened from the outside.

There is absolutely no safety issue. Except the safety issue of a small child being able to swing the door wide open as soon as the driver's door is opened (unlocking all the doors).

Also, if it's such a safety issue, why is it that every other manufacturer puts them in? I say it's because Merc, as usual, blindly sticks by what it wants regardless if it's right, wrong or what the customer wants.