C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sunroof broken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13 ML350
Sunroof broken

Okay so I've had this car for a bit over a week with the high hopes that buying a benz would mean buying quality and reliability...
okay

So my sunroof won't open or close all the way now. I have to constantly push or pull the switch and it only moves about an inch at a time in any direction, then stops. I have to move the switch each time it stops.

In any case I have an appt at the dealer tomorrow and the best they can do is "shuttle" me to work.
At least with my BMW, they give me a loaner

Good thing this is only a 2 year love affair at most.
I like my Bimmer more
Old 06-12-2008, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Well, didn't you know? This is a feature.
Haha...not.
Look's like warranty work to me.

Hmm "shuttling" to work isn't so bad...you could just pretend you have a chauffeur...it'll impress your colleagues.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 AM

13 ML350
Well at least I'm not surprised with German electronics failing. I've had my fair share with my BMW's.
I was really hoping that the Merc would be problem free

Between me and the forum members (since I know my wife doesn't read these)
PERSONALLY for me, I'd rather have my BMW. It may have a bit less HP on paper but the drive is sharper and more involved.

The Merc just feels sterile. That and I still can't get over the interior. I'm not a fanboy by any means but when I look at my door panel and see a bunch of black plastic with the same grain texture, it just looks "off". It's like looking into a "domestic" make budget car.
Flame on people, flame on
Old 06-12-2008, 03:45 AM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by flexdmc
Well at least I'm not surprised with German electronics failing. I've had my fair share with my BMW's.
I was really hoping that the Merc would be problem free

Between me and the forum members (since I know my wife doesn't read these)
PERSONALLY for me, I'd rather have my BMW. It may have a bit less HP on paper but the drive is sharper and more involved.

The Merc just feels sterile. That and I still can't get over the interior. I'm not a fanboy by any means but when I look at my door panel and see a bunch of black plastic with the same grain texture, it just looks "off". It's like looking into a "domestic" make budget car.
Flame on people, flame on
Haha I'm not gonna "flame" you.
I can see where you are coming from, I'll always have a thing for BMWs, having owned a 330ci and an M3.
The interior of the C...hmm I'll admit, its not the most luxurious or anything but then again its not ugly either. If I want luxury, I'll take the 450 out. If I want performance, I'll take the Z06 out. For me, the C350 just hits somewhere between luxury and performance...and that I like.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM

ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
It's a software problem which they will update. The dealer can re-learn the sunroof for now. Happened to me at about 8,000 miles. It's good now.

Last edited by ShoremNJ; 06-12-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
In any case I have an appt at the dealer tomorrow and the best they can do is "shuttle" me to work.

I like my Bimmer more
Manufacturers have nothing to do with rental cars and only cover the warranty work itself.

Rental cars are a perk the dealers offer and pay for. If you don't get a loaner take that up with the dealer for providing poor service.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Usually you will get a loaner from the dealer where the car was purchased, that’s the same rule apply to BMW and INFINITI

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
So my sunroof won't open or close all the way now. I have to constantly push or pull the switch and it only moves about an inch at a time in any direction, then stops. I have to move the switch each time it stops.
Your sunroof sensors are out of sync. I had this on my C-Class once and its really easy to fix; all you need to do is re-sync the sensors. Open the sunroof all the way. Once it is open all the way keep the button held for 10 seconds, now close the sunroof and keep the button held for 10 seconds, push the sunroof button in to tilt the sunroof open and hold the button for 10 seconds and finally pull the sunroof button down to close the tilted sunroof and hold it for 10 more seconds. If you have done this correctly your sunroof sensors will have been resynced. By the way it is very likely the service people at your dealership will do the same thing. My SA taught me this trick when I went back to my dealer huffing and puffing about my sunroof.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 AM

BNW Z4
Ah, yes, the stuttering sunroof (a special feature developed by Carrozeria Porky Pig for MB, only). I was able to re synch mine to open smoothly but not close. Not a big deal since I rarely use the feature. I'll have the dealer resynch totally when I go in for the tire rotation in 500m.

I use my C300 for commuting and while I dearly love the BMWs (I own a Z4) the C300 is really superior for that use. I had a 328i Sport Wagon as a loaner for a day or two. While it was definitely "sportier," the ride quality was nowhere near that of the MB. In fact, I felt the ride quality on the Sportwagon was worse than the Z4, which I also use for the commute. The runflats used by BMW on the Sportwagon are really stiff.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Okay so I've had this car for a bit over a week with the high hopes that buying a benz would mean buying quality and reliability...
okay

I like my Bimmer more

my Merc dealership has always given me a loaner car, even if it was for a few hours and the loaner car has always been another C300 sport
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM

13 ML350
Well as a follow up to my post at 2 AM...
I dropped off my car at the dealer this morning. The service guy chuckled and told me that I probably had an acorn or something jammed in my sunroof. "Happens all the time man"
Okay sure... except that I've had this in my garage for the whole week I've owned it and there are no acorns in my garage

I told them to clean it up while they had it and so he whipped out the free detail sheet, the $19.95 upgrade or the $250.00 upgrade.
I told him that when I bought it (Sunday) that they never did a proper clean up so he told me he'd take care of it.

Overall they were nice. I had my wife pick me up in the BMW and she dropped me off at work. I didn't even want to get into a courtesy car question so after my small tirade from the earlier posts, I opted to just use my car.

Well they called me around 3 hours later. Told me that they had to reteach the positioning and they washed the car. I wish I knew that I could do it myself!

The car was clean and oh I forgot to mention that they were nice enough to pick me up at work and take me to get the car

Wasn't impressed with the "clean" car. I could have done it better myself
Oh well.

All in all, a decent experience. The car is growing on me power wise. I had a chance to push it earlier this morning and even though I see a lot of posts on the lack of power, it pulls decent enough.

Had another looksy at the doors and interior... not bad. Could be better for me but still not bad at all. Maybe in two years, we'll get an E
Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
I wish I knew that I could do it myself!
Don't sweat it this was your first time. The next time it happens, yes unfortunately it will happen again, you can fix it in two minutes. It's weird because for me this sunroof issue started out when the car was two and 1/2 years old. I got it back from a valet after driving away did I realize that the sunroof was stuttering when opening and closing I started to blame the valet guys thinking they took my car out for a joy ride or something. My SA told me that its a pretty common thing with the C-Class. But after it happened the first time it started to happen again and again and again; about once every ten times I tried to open/close the sunroof. I was always able to manually resync the sensors in less then a minute but its rather annoying when your sunroof has these "senior moments" as my wife likes to put it.

Maybe in two years, we'll get an E
I went that route myself. When the lease was up on my 2005 C I decided to get an E because I was not feeling the current interior of the new C-Class. I really liked my older C-Class but I totally love my E-Class. Driving the C was good but driving the E is so much better. I have a feeling you are going to like it better as well.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM

13 ML350
Damn... sunroof issue came back
I'm going to try LaicepsYdobon's method.
I'll report back
Old 07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by Savage c-300
my Merc dealership has always given me a loaner car, even if it was for a few hours and the loaner car has always been another C300 sport
My dealership sells Volvos as well as Mercedes, so I took my Volvo in for a repair, and they gave me a loaner. I was pretty impressed. I guies it depends on the dealership.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 AM

13 ML350
No luck...
Maybe I'm not doing it correctly...
1) Open sunroof (opens fine)
2) When fully open, release the switch, then push the switch all the way back for 10 seconds minimum
3) Release switch and then press switch forward (motor stutters but closing)
4) When fully closed, release switch and then press switch forward for 10 seconds min.
5) Release switch and then press switch in (tilt opens fine)
6) When fully open, release the switch, then push the switch in for 10 seconds minimum
7) Release switch and then pull switch down (motor stutters but closing)
8) When fully closed, release switch and then pull switch down for 10 seconds min.

When I test it after, the same problem exists.
BTW, I've also tried it without releasing the switch and just holding it there for 10 seconds.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:21 AM

13 ML350
Update

Okay so the dealer replaced the motor after MB Germany told them to.
I haven't gotten the car back since I wanted them to fix my off center steering wheel.
I got a lot of slack about that. Kept feeding me BS about how the roads are slanted around here for water runoff and stuff.
In any case, we'll see. They're keeping the car until they can figure out what to do if the full alignment doesn't work out.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
when they were fixing a noise in my car, i got a B-class as a loaner.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:12 AM

13 ML350
So far so good.
They ordered a caster kit since the car was off center
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 AM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
My car always comes back clean. In fact I get free car washes for life - if I'm driving by, I'll stop in occasionally for a wash....
RickP
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM

15 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by RickP330
My car always comes back clean. In fact I get free car washes for life - if I'm driving by, I'll stop in occasionally for a wash....
RickP
Unless you have a great dealership you trust, you are going to get free scratches for life also! I can't tell you how many times I get a free car wash at the dealer and I find scratches afterwards. I usually pass up on the free wash now. Plus last time I had to wait 2 hours for the free wash. Good thing its free, otherwise that would be like a $350 car wash

Related to Sunroof question. I did not search but does anyone have this issue. When it gets too hot and I open the sunroof, I get this screech plastic-ky sound as it opens up. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2008, 03:36 PM

BNW Z4
I have just about given up on the stuttering sunroof. Partially resynched it myself once (opened but stutter on close). Dealer resynched at the 3000m service. Worked ONCE!

Tried using it last weekend...STUTTER!!!

I think that MB got a little too cute with the control button. One thing I notice about the 300 is that everything wants a very soft, delicate touch to work. For the sunroof, I prefer the old-style: hold the button in a certain position and the roof moves until it hits the end of travel.

So far, this is my unly gripe with an otherwise wonderful experience.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by RickP330
RickP
MB of Massapequa right?
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM

c300 sport
New software

The dealers have some new software to fix this problem, I had the same problem for a while, even got a new unit sent over fron Germany and installed. I have not had the new software installed yet as the last fix is holding up, but I will when I take it in for service.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:47 AM

W204 C220CDI
Same problem but on W203

On my W203 - I had the same problem - they replaced the sun roof motor 4 times (yes, 4 times, all under warranty). The motors just kep on breaking.

But it was also a case that the 'software' needed a reset from time to time - when opening the sun roof - instead of just 'flicking the switch' open, hold it down and count to 10 (or was that 15). When closing, do the same again. Do the same for opening/closing the vent.

With the sun roof 'reset' this was taught to me by the MB dealer. Same also applies to the windows.

Hope I don't have this problem with my W204 (just under 10K kms now) but having other problems with idle. Sigh.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
Your sunroof sensors are out of sync. I had this on my C-Class once and its really easy to fix; all you need to do is re-sync the sensors. Open the sunroof all the way. Once it is open all the way keep the button held for 10 seconds, now close the sunroof and keep the button held for 10 seconds, push the sunroof button in to tilt the sunroof open and hold the button for 10 seconds and finally pull the sunroof button down to close the tilted sunroof and hold it for 10 more seconds. If you have done this correctly your sunroof sensors will have been resynced. By the way it is very likely the service people at your dealership will do the same thing. My SA taught me this trick when I went back to my dealer huffing and puffing about my sunroof.
doesn't work!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof broken