C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Upgrade to the Multi-media package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204, W220, S15 Silvia
Originally Posted by R0CK632
Sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intentions, it just gets on my nerves when someone buys a beautiful car and does not spend a few extra dollars for some of the options. And I had meant all vehicles in this price range, not just mercedes benz even though thats how it sounded. As for me, I need 4matic which is why I didnt go for the 350 and trust me if I wanted to I could have easily afforded an S-Class but to me thats just not practical spending so much on a vehicle whether you can afford it or not. Again sorry if I offended anyone.
The MM option cost another USD5K here but I didn't get it not because I can't afford it, I couldn't go for the MM function because it is not practical for me to wait for another 1+ years for it to be available in my country

There are reasons why people didn't spend the so called "few more dollars" on their luxury cars, I don't think it's up to someone who don't know to say they are off their economic means, I got offended when I first read your comments, a lot of people here can afford P car or F cars but they didn't because it is impractical too, even yourself is excused off why u did not spend the "few more dollars" for a fully loaded C class ( or even full on C63), and how would u feel when people tell you that you're off your economic means?

People in the states may purchase the same car as we did here with only 1/3 the money we spend, therefore spending for few more options could have marginally greater effect than we have in our country, but then there is no option for us unless we go after market :/

anyway peace I don't mean to offend you if I did my apologies
Old 08-23-2008, 11:38 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Video

Originally Posted by 2nice4me
Has anyone heard or tried this video interface before?

http://www.car-interface.com/car-int...ts.php?mode=33

I have emailed both vendors but haven't had any replies from either.
I notice the company is in Taiwan and somewhere on that site (or another one selling the same unit) is another tiny consideration which is the thing comes from North Korea.

You may be aware that we don't do business with North Korea.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 AM

2001 E430 Designo Edition, 2002 C230K Sport Coupe & 2006 C230 SS
Rick P330:

In time you my actually be glad you don't have the MM package. Having owned MB's for many years, I think the flip up screen and hard drive will present problems in time. I was recently speaking with a radio tech and he said the fewer moving parts the better. Heat and vibration play havoc on sound systems as it is. I would have liked to see the HK sound system available without the flip up screen. Oh, and the comment about living outside of your means was pure snobbery and uncalled for. For all we know, he may take his car to Jiffy Lube and use regular gas! Enjoy your ride. A Benz is a Benz is a Benz.... regardless of the options.

Another thing, if you load out a C Class it puts the price point near the base price of a E Class which is much more car having most of the options (on the C Class) as standard equipment. In the end, it will still be a C Class which as nice a car as it is, it is still the entry level of the MB family.

Last edited by Benzalot; 08-24-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
the whole, if you are going to buy X car why dont you get all the options argument is just plain stupid.

honestly its downright insulting.

I mean for me, when I finally do buy this car.. .it'll be with my own hard earned money. I"m not gonna waste $3000 on the MMI package because for my personal use its a waste of money. I mean it has some great features, but really $3000 for a nav and some pcmcia slots and speakers. I can live with out it.

People don't get to be buying mercedes anything if they are people who waste money unless daddy is buying or you are some guy who gets an inheritance.

I could easily afford to get MMI... or even an E class. But its a waste of money. That sort of thinking is what bankrupts people, and why people don't save money to begin with.

If anything buying options on a car, is the biggest waste of money out there. Especially the nav system. Options depreciate far faster than just the actual "car" (unless its a popular option lik esay an automatic transmission). Blatantly wasting money is not a prerequisite of buying a nice car as far I know.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by R0CK632
Sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intentions, it just gets on my nerves when someone buys a beautiful car and does not spend a few extra dollars for some of the options. And I had meant all vehicles in this price range, not just mercedes benz even though thats how it sounded. As for me, I need 4matic which is why I didnt go for the 350 and trust me if I wanted to I could have easily afforded an S-Class but to me thats just not practical spending so much on a vehicle whether you can afford it or not. Again sorry if I offended anyone.
+1, every time I get a stripped C loaner I have to remind myself that people actually buy cars like that.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 AM

2009 C350W on EDP
Reasonable value....

I think the MM package is a reasonably priced bundle, especially if upgrading from the standard sound system is a MUST HAVE for a given customer.

I my case I probably would not have opted for a separate GPS Nav system unless the price was under $500. Don't get me wrong, I think the GPS nav is cool and quite useful in some situations (unfamiliar cities for example), and it is entertaining to play with the controls and watch the displays, but I have decades of experience navigating by reckoning instinct and map reading. However, the baseline radio/disk setup in the C350 sounded very mediocre to me, and I enjoy listening to classical music which is quite demanding on the audio system and quietness of the vehicle.

So, my choices were either standard radio/disk or stepping-up all of the way to the $2980 MM bundle, a rather costly step. I rationalized it by figuring that my wife would put the GPS nav to good use, and that it represents at least $1200 of the MM package value, plus maybe $500 for the voice command thingy, and thus leaving about $1280 for the Harman Kardon Logic 7, 6 disk changer, ripping capability, and memory card reading capability.

I searched for articles/reviews on the HK setup in the new C Class and found the critical reviews to be excellent (example: http://http://www.letsgomobile.org/e...-benz-c-class/) and then went to audition the system. It has outstanding sound imaging and clarity at all seating positions....I was convinced I needed the MM package. However, be aware that are also numerous anecdotal reports from owners who don't feel that the 450W HK system has enough power/punch to provide the overwhelming bass response they prefer. I guess it is matter of matching the equipment to your music preferences. For me the HK rig is a big step up from other OEM rigs I have enjoyed over the years.

The dealer also weighed with an opinion that at resale time the absence of the built in GPS nav would reduce the car's resale value seeing as most MB buyers expect nav as a de facto standard of equipment in a luxury brand vehicle.

So, I think the MM represents reasonable value and very good acoustic perfromance.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by TRauppius
I think the MM package is a reasonably priced bundle, especially if upgrading from the standard sound system is a MUST HAVE for a given customer.

I my case I probably would not have opted for a separate GPS Nav system unless the price was under $500. Don't get me wrong, I think the GPS nav is cool and quite useful in some situations (unfamiliar cities for example), and it is entertaining to play with the controls and watch the displays, but I have decades of experience navigating by reckoning instinct and map reading. However, the baseline radio/disk setup in the C350 sounded very mediocre to me, and I enjoy listening to classical music which is quite demanding on the audio system and quietness of the vehicle.

So, my choices were either standard radio/disk or stepping-up all of the way to the $2980 MM bundle, a rather costly step. I rationalized it by figuring that my wife would put the GPS nav to good use, and that it represents at least $1200 of the MM package value, plus maybe $500 for the voice command thingy, and thus leaving about $1280 for the Harman Kardon Logic 7, 6 disk changer, ripping capability, and memory card reading capability.

I searched for articles/reviews on the HK setup in the new C Class and found the critical reviews to be excellent (example: http://http://www.letsgomobile.org/e...-benz-c-class/) and then went to audition the system. It has outstanding sound imaging and clarity at all seating positions....I was convinced I needed the MM package. However, be aware that are also numerous anecdotal reports from owners who don't feel that the 450W HK system has enough power/punch to provide the overwhelming bass response they prefer. I guess it is matter of matching the equipment to your music preferences. For me the HK rig is a big step up from other OEM rigs I have enjoyed over the years.

The dealer also weighed with an opinion that at resale time the absence of the built in GPS nav would reduce the car's resale value seeing as most MB buyers expect nav as a de facto standard of equipment in a luxury brand vehicle.

So, I think the MM represents reasonable value and very good acoustic perfromance.
GPS generally is the most depreciating part of a car though.

If you have ever seen how much kelly blue book will add for any car if you indicate you have a nav option, after 2-3 years itll be like 1/4 what you paid.

Sometimes people will pay less for it, I have nav in my 3 year old car and it is missing so many features from typical $150 nav devices that I can't really see why anyone would want a 3 year old nav system (like no text to speech etc)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Stripped or equipped?

Originally Posted by hans007
GPS generally is the most depreciating part of a car though.

If you have ever seen how much kelly blue book will add for any car if you indicate you have a nav option, after 2-3 years itll be like 1/4 what you paid.

Sometimes people will pay less for it, I have nav in my 3 year old car and it is missing so many features from typical $150 nav devices that I can't really see why anyone would want a 3 year old nav system (like no text to speech etc)
Answering hans007:

I think in your quest to avoid spending, you are overlooking (perhaps deliberately) the very reason I specified the P2 and MM packages in my new C-Class. I will be driving this car for the next seven years, very likely. I drive at night, hence the Bi-Xenon lights. I sometimes carry items, hence the folding seats. It rains in my city, hence the rain sensor. I listen to the radio whenever I'm driving without passengers, and so having the choice of everything the MM package offers, now that I've used it for 10 months (fault free, I might add) I am greatly enjoying it's various capabilities.

I am glad I had the foresight to anticipate the benefits to me of the various items in these packages and consider them well worth the cost.

And when it's time to sell the car, there's no question that it will be more desirable to a buyer and will sell more quickly than an unequipped similar car.

No one would expect that the entire costs of these packages will be recovered at sale. The point is, I will have the next seven years to use and enjoy them.

You won't.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 PM

08 c300
Originally Posted by The Mercster
For those who only want the flip-up screen, you can retro fit it and it's quite cheap to buy at about $100 (see link below), but I'm not sure whether or not you need the command headunit for it to operate?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Mercedes-navigati...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry but we all need to learn German. BTW www.ebay.de is a great hunting ground.
Du bist auslander und spriche nicht gut deutsch..
Old 08-25-2008, 12:01 AM

08 c300
If your looking for the screen and the command center... heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.de/Comand-APS-mit-6-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Almost a Member!

C350, ML350
newbie....

Originally Posted by cjh.
Great first impression for a "newbie" here on the site.
If that's so true, then you would have purchased a C350 with every option. Regardless of the options, it's still a Mercedes-Benz and I'd choose a C class with no options over a fully loaded Honda.

So just leave. Your post wasn't needed.

To the OP. I'm not sure if it's possible. It would be a lot of $$. Worth a try though!
hey hey, lets not go with the noob thingie....

agreed it's not a adequate response....yikes.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Originally Posted by c3nthusiast
If thats the truth than we should all be driving an S class instead of an entry level Benz. What a turd. I don't have a loaded C300 either but I did drop $33,000 on a pair HK MP5's last year.

You made me drool on my keyboard... MP5s are loads of fun! So are the W204s! When will the MP5s be a Benz option?