C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008 | 07:49 AM

08 MB
Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO

I am pretty disappointed in the die cut clear bra the dealer offers. For the money I was expecting full coverage and a nice wrap around every edge but that's not the case. There are plenty of painted edges exposed(which I have rock chips on already) along with the lower bumper lip not having any coverage on parts of it.

I'm curious how people with custom clear bra's measure up? Is every edge tucked under or around? Does the front have "full" protection from top to bottom(Not one area left untouched)?
Old 07-10-2008 | 08:13 AM

2008 Calcite white C350, Command system, 3M clear bra, tint 30%
I have the 3M clear bra installed through my dealer. It only covers the top front part of the hood and the two side mirrors. Cost $500. Could of gotten it cheaper outside, but didn't wanna go through the hassle of dropping car off etc..

My friend had his car done privately, he paid $700, it included front part of hood, and the enter bottom part of the spoiler, even the side skirts, and side mirrors. Covered the headlights and fog lamps. He even got a strip that covered the section right above the windshield.
Old 07-10-2008 | 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
i paid $200 for the same coverage area as the dealer, good decent job!
but yes u gotta wait a few hours while they do it

i rather leave it or wait, then pay $300 more
Old 07-10-2008 | 08:51 AM

E46 M3
I wanted a full front coverage ( full hood, bumper, etc. ) was quoted $1500.00 from 4 places around here in the DC area. 1 guy quoted 3000.00. I am still looking around.
Old 07-10-2008 | 09:08 AM

E63
Full bra

I got my CLK done and got a better deal than I expected. I took it for service as it was making a noise going over a speed bump. Yada yada yada they had to order some part form Germany, they thought it was part of a recall. Dealer kept the car for 10 days. During that time I called a clear bra company and they went to the dealer and installed it. I thought I was getting the hood and bumper but they did the door handles and the side mirrors too. I think I paid like $375 or something like that. Later that year I saw where the bra company and the dealer are now working together and they are charging $950 for the same coverage! A full hood application was $1300. Thats more that double what I paid, frigging dealers.

Last edited by tpick23; 07-10-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2008 | 09:23 AM

2008 C300
My friend Matt did C300 Sport. He owns www.frontguard.com. He went about 2 feet up my hood, he did the entire front bumper, foglights, headlights, A pillars, door handles, door edges, and side mirrors. If you live in the MD, DC, VA I highly recommend him.
Old 07-10-2008 | 10:22 AM

E46 M3
Do you have any pics? I live in the MD area and looking to have my wife's 300 sport done. I would like to get the whole front done.

Originally Posted by c3nthusiast
My friend Matt did C300 Sport. He owns www.frontguard.com. He went about 2 feet up my hood, he did the entire front bumper, foglights, headlights, A pillars, door handles, door edges, and side mirrors. If you live in the MD, DC, VA I highly recommend him.

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2008 | 10:33 AM

08 MB
Guys, not to be rude but the point is being missed.

Are independent installers doing a better job at installing with custom instead of the die cut pieces a dealer uses? What I am irked about is the hood coverage for instance starts about a 1/16" to 1/8" back from the front lip. I expected the bra to wrap under the front of the hood and not leave exposed areas to get chipped.

The same goes for the rest of the front. There are certain areas where there are no die cut pieces and the rest are not very form fitting to the edges IMO.
Old 07-10-2008 | 10:52 AM

2008 C300 Sport
It's all about the individual who's installing your clear bra. His/her overall experience, car-specific experience, etc. An experienced installer should be able to take a pre-cut kit and make it fit perfectly.

Clear bra installers usually go around to different dealers and solicit their services and then a dealer picks them up. Generally, these "dealer-installers" also work independently - so as a general rule of thumb, I would recommend NEVER using the dealer to get a clear bra (baring a significant financial savings, or some sort of guarantee in writing) since it's really impossible to find out who's actually doing it and what their credentials are. Essentially all they do is call the guy who gave them the lowest bid (although some people have gotten great clear-bras at dealerships). Basically my point is it's not worth the risk of getting a crappy installer.

This may not help your current situation, but if you are going to get it re-done, going back to the same guy at the dealer won't solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mb_horseshoe; 07-10-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:03 AM

E46 M3
From what I understand all die cuts starts about 1/8" from the edge unless the installer pull the clear shield to the edge. The clear shield will give but some clear shield will give more like the product from Avery. If you want them to roll under the hood, this from my understanding is called a custom cut install. But as all the people I have spoken to have said, it all depends on the installer. A good installer can make the install look perfect. I have looked at about 30 cars from different installers since I'm not going to pay 1000.00 for a bad job. I saw some funny looking die cuts that did not even fit the car or a bra that only covers the first 12" of the hood.

Originally Posted by racetested
Guys, not to be rude but the point is being missed.

Are independent installers doing a better job at installing with custom instead of the die cut pieces a dealer uses? What I am irked about is the hood coverage for instance starts about a 1/16" to 1/8" back from the front lip. I expected the bra to wrap under the front of the hood and not leave exposed areas to get chipped.

The same goes for the rest of the front. There are certain areas where there are no die cut pieces and the rest are not very form fitting to the edges IMO.
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Just got mine installed yesterday by Premier up in the Bay area. $1100. Full hood, fenders, headlights, fog lights, bumper, side mirrors. Looks like quality work.
Old 07-10-2008 | 11:37 AM

E46 M3
I have seen some pictures of Premier's work on the BMW forums. They do great work.

Originally Posted by Azn_C300
Just got mine installed yesterday by Premier up in the Bay area. $1100. Full hood, fenders, headlights, fog lights, bumper, side mirrors. Looks like quality work.
Old 07-10-2008 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I got mine done outside the dealership.
All of the clear bra pieces were custom cut to fit (no precut pieces) and wrapped around the edges and seams.
For $750 I got 16" up the hood, full bumper, head and foglights, A pillar, door handle scoops and part of the fender, and it also included window tinting.

The dealership was charging $950 for the same package but they use precut pieces which stops short about 1/4" from the edges of the body panels.

Another shop was charging $540 for the same package but they also use a precut kit.

I'm really happy with how it turned out and the extra money for having it custom done by a pro is well worth it.

Last edited by aowhaus; 07-10-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2008 | 12:30 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Just an FYI, clear bra as installed on a new vehicle from the dealer MSRP's for around $500 + and the actual cost is about $100 - $125.... It's generally not very high quality in material nor install... Over time, you'll get lots of "dog-eared edges" on the bends and corners...
Old 07-10-2008 | 12:36 PM

08 MB
Originally Posted by aowhaus
I got mine done outside the dealership.
All of the clear bra pieces were custom cut to fit (no precut pieces) and wrapped around the edges and seams.
For $750 I got 16" up the hood, full bumper, head and foglights, A pillar, door handle scoops and part of the fender, and it also included window tinting.

The dealership was charging $950 for the same package but they use precut pieces which stops short about 1/4" from the edges of the body panels.

Another shop was charging $540 for the same package but they also use a precut kit.

I'm really happy with how it turned out and the extra money for having it custom done by a pro is well worth it.
This is the type of response I was curious about. Thanks also to the last couple of posters with a similar answer.

My issue was I was calling around to known body shops that didn't do clear bras and instead should have called my tint guy now that I think of it as it is similar work.

I only used the dealer as they cut me a deal, was really busy during the time I bought my car and was more convenient and as mentioned above no luck calling other places and wanted the work done ASAP.

Hopefully this post is helpful to others!
Old 07-10-2008 | 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Another thing to look at is what is offered after install. Premier offered a bra checkup about a month after install to verify everything cured correctly. There's also a lifetime warranty against pealing, cracking, and yellowing.
Old 07-10-2008 | 01:46 PM

08 MB
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
There's also a lifetime warranty against pealing, cracking, and yellowing.
This was another reason I went with the dealer as they offered a warranty for as long as I have the car which means they'll fix the rock chips I now have once I'm done *****ing to them.
Old 07-20-2008 | 07:11 PM

I went with the recommendations of mbworld members and used Premier. Top quality for the custom die cut they offer. I went to see thier quality on the kit, but all of the cars rolling into their bay are all custom die. I have to admit, I initially didn't believe there was anything on the cars, but they showed me where the film stops around the edges. If you're in Cali, check out Premier for their custom die kits - www.premiermobilegroup.com
Old 07-20-2008 | 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I had a privateer, trained at the X-pel facility in Texas, do mine. He used precuts and charged $390.00 for the bumper and is charging $230 for the hood. He came to my place and did the install. I had to get right on top of the stuff to see that it was installed. Hood is next week. I did the mirrors, headlights and fogs myself. This is a complicated install. If your dealer/ installer is allowing 1/4 inch of space on the edges, he/she/they are doing it wrong. The stuff has to be stretched. It will go right to the edge.

Last edited by Derspeed; 07-21-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2008 | 10:37 PM
Almost a Member!

C350, ML350
clear bra

Originally Posted by racetested
I am pretty disappointed in the die cut clear bra the dealer offers. For the money I was expecting full coverage and a nice wrap around every edge but that's not the case. There are plenty of painted edges exposed(which I have rock chips on already) along with the lower bumper lip not having any coverage on parts of it.

I'm curious how people with custom clear bra's measure up? Is every edge tucked under or around? Does the front have "full" protection from top to bottom(Not one area left untouched)?
you didn't ask them wat was cover for your money? Sorry to hear, but that is one reason why i declined their offer....i had a guy did mine for $1000 including the TINT...

was very impressed, everything was tucked...not much exposed area here...so far no scratches...amazing!!!
Old 07-21-2008 | 07:53 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by junkfoodz
you didn't ask them wat was cover for your money? Sorry to hear, but that is one reason why i declined their offer....i had a guy did mine for $1000 including the TINT...

was very impressed, everything was tucked...not much exposed area here...so far no scratches...amazing!!!

I'm more of a visual person myself so if people want to post pictures so future people can see the "true" differences and make a better informed decision. I think my install could have been better but I am also curious if others are actually any better and pics will prove it.

I'll try and take some in the next day or two and maybe start a new thread.
Old 07-22-2008 | 08:40 PM

c350
Clear bra Pictures

Here are some of my clear bra picture...they are pretty hard to see, but if you look closely, it's there.

24 inch from hood
head lights & fogs
whole front bumper and lower
side mirrors, edge of door and handles

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO-img_7994.jpg

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO-img_7995.jpg

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO-img_7996.jpg

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO-img_7999.jpg

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO-img_8001.jpg

Clear Bra + Dealer = Crap IMO-img_8000.jpg
Old 07-23-2008 | 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I had mine done at the dealer, but they did all custom cutting and tucked all the edges. I had my hood (18" up) and front fenders, plus little strips down the edges of the doors (meant to be a curtsy strip in case someone opens my door into another car). I think I paid 4 to 500 for it. So far so good. When I had my car detailed last month we found a couple small dings up high on the hood, plus a couple hits to the film. No regrets here.

FWIW I choose the dealer not for price but because their work looked solid and with my luck I would of taken a couple hits on the way to some other shop...
Old 07-24-2008 | 07:55 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by imagination
Here are some of my clear bra picture...they are pretty hard to see, but if you look closely, it's there.
Could you re-post this info in the new thread I started. Some of the lines are hard to see so if you could mentioned any details to help better visualize.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...82#post2954582