Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops! >

*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!

 
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 PM
  #76  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by rob13572468 View Post
I was talking with Dan about this today and we are going to try very hard to make this happen...

Up until now we were busy setting up our forum sponsership but that is done which means its just a matter of getting a couple of things ready. Hold tight and we'll work on getting this going asap.
Hi , I'm new over here, but I couldn't oversee this GB for the backup camera setup.
So any news or did I miss any other thread in regards of thi sgroup buy ?

Thanks guys
medlines is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 06:17 AM
  #77  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: La Habra, CA (OC)
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300 Sport LOADED
I am SO Interested on this.
If you can get good deal on this, ~500to 550. I will get it ASAP.

Hey ron, Is this VIM include the ablity to input letters while driving?
wanchu83 is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 07:56 AM
  #78  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W204
Will the Kenwood CCD-2000 ( US VERSION ) work on a C-class European version navigation screen ?
medlines is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 01:21 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rick Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jet City, USA
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
AFAIK, there is NO group buy floating around. For the price, it's definitely reasonable compared to the competition. It's also comparable in price to the Quickpark system (installed), but is superior due to the fact that you get to see what's behind you. For those on the fence... I'm glad I got it and I have no regrets about this mod.

I found the Kenwood CCD-200 Operating Manual online:
http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B64-3673-00_00.pdf
Rick Hunter is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 01:32 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
08 C300
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
AFAIK, there is NO group buy floating around. For the price, it's definitely reasonable compared to the competition. It's also comparable in price to the Quickpark system (installed), but is superior due to the fact that you get to see what's behind you. For those on the fence... I'm glad I got it and I have no regrets about this mod.

I found the Kenwood CCD-200 Operating Manual online:
http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B64-3673-00_00.pdf
+1

even cheaper if you don't need VIM.
white46 is offline  
Old 11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
  #81  
Senior Member
 
PolePosition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
+1

even cheaper if you don't need VIM.
I agree! And for those of you who are thinking of doing this I would say DO IT!!!!! It's a truly awesome mod to have.
PolePosition is offline  
Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
  #82  
Member
 
cbcharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Posts: 186
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic Sport P2/MM/Steel Gray
how do you feed the wire from the trunk, to to the front of the car? you say under the sills, how do you get under the sills? more details please!
cbcharlie is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
  #83  
Member
 
woedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles (213)
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w205 - Black
Originally Posted by cbcharlie View Post
how do you feed the wire from the trunk, to to the front of the car? you say under the sills, how do you get under the sills? more details please!
+1

Also, where can I purchase a pre-assembled SMB (FAKRA) to female RCA cable? Anyone?



Thx!!!!!
woedee is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
  #84  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ron Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by woedee View Post
+1

Also, where can I purchase a pre-assembled SMB (FAKRA) to female RCA cable? Anyone?



Thx!!!!!
Midcity was selling these at around 20.00 USD maybe a bit more. As far as getting the video cable from the trunk to the cabin that is the hardest part of this install. I went through the passanger side and fed a snake between the rear seat back and the side. It took a few tries but there is a cable run there then just tuck it under the door sills.
Ron Jr is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
  #85  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camry
Add me to the group buy. Send me a pm or post on here with the details, etc.
pxwang is offline  
Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 AM
  #86  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UAE
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c63
Hi there, i am from middle east and i bought 2009 C63 from USA, is there anyone can help me how to install the middle east map to the Navigation?

Thank you
albanafsag is offline  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 PM
  #87  
Member
 
woedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles (213)
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w205 - Black
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
Midcity was selling these at around 20.00 USD maybe a bit more. As far as getting the video cable from the trunk to the cabin that is the hardest part of this install. I went through the passanger side and fed a snake between the rear seat back and the side. It took a few tries but there is a cable run there then just tuck it under the door sills.

Thanks Ron Jr! I placed the order last week wednesday (it was $22 PLUS $15 shipping!?!?!?!). For the shipping price I paid, I would have expected for the (I presume less than a couple oz. in weight) cable to have arrived already; still waiting as of this message. Needless to say, shipping rates was a rip!!!!!!!!!
woedee is offline  
Old 03-31-2009, 07:44 AM
  #88  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ron Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Thats a crazy amount for shipping a cable. I shipped out a Breitling Steelfish last week (traded for a Sinn 856) and next day with 2000.00USD insurance came to a little over 20.00. And I know the Breitling with it's packageing weighs a hell of a lot more than a cable.
Ron Jr is offline  
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 376
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300 sport 4matic
Originally Posted by woedee View Post
Thanks Ron Jr! I placed the order last week wednesday (it was $22 PLUS $15 shipping!?!?!?!). For the shipping price I paid, I would have expected for the (I presume less than a couple oz. in weight) cable to have arrived already; still waiting as of this message. Needless to say, shipping rates was a rip!!!!!!!!!
It is super small too You'll see...
spoolIT85 is offline  
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
  #90  
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350 Sport
Where did you get your grill?
patrarno is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 AM
  #91  
Member
 
id64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
Done! :)

Thanks to this DIY and all help from you guys
id64 is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rick Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jet City, USA
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
Sweeet. Another happy modder.

I always get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside when I see successes like this come out from the DIY.

Gotta clean up your garage though, mate.
Rick Hunter is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 AM
  #93  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
soldier2304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,237
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Originally Posted by id64 View Post
Thanks to this DIY and all help from you guys
That looks really good! How much was it for just the VIM from midcity?
soldier2304 is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
  #94  
Member
 
id64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Sweeet. Another happy modder.

I always get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside when I see successes like this come out from the DIY.

Gotta clean up your garage though, mate.
My grage is fine Those are all clean towels
id64 is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
  #95  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 167
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C350
Not to be a party popper but why would you want a rear camera installed in a compact sedan????? Maybe for a Yukon or Escalate may be worth even a ML but a C class??? Can anyone explain it
Mercho82 is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 PM
  #96  
Member
 
id64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
Originally Posted by giovapal View Post
Not to be a party popper but why would you want a rear camera installed in a compact sedan????? Maybe for a Yukon or Escalate may be worth even a ML but a C class??? Can anyone explain it
I did mine because I have C63 with those bucket seats and it's bloody hard to see at the back even if I turn my head 180 degrees.
id64 is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 05:30 PM
  #97  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 167
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C350
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post


Total cost to me was $750 (this kit IS a VIM kit + the Backup Camera) I was more interested in the backup camera function rather than the VIM function, though. VIM is the bonus
You can get that option for $450 usd at any MB dealer + labor much much cheaper and better than aftermarket. Not to mention the compatibility!!!!!
Mercho82 is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM
  #98  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Cheaper camera?

Originally Posted by giovapal View Post
You can get that option for $450 usd at any MB dealer + labor much much cheaper and better than aftermarket. Not to mention the compatibility!!!!!
I have examined the backup camera on the GLK and it appears to be the same Kenwood camera I got with my kit. Which retails for about $200. Since this is not a five minute installation, dealer labor time is going to be significant.

Your statement regarding "cheaper and better" needs an explanation. And what exactly is the compatibility issue?
RLE is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 PM
  #99  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rick Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jet City, USA
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
Hmmm... sounds like giovapal didn't really do his research before poo-pooing on the thread.

The camera itself is of the same quality as the ones used as OEM from car manufacturers. So for MB to be charging $450 for just the camera... they're making a lot of profit. Add to it the labor costs and you'll see how close to the price I paid for the kit WITH VIM. Of course, as I was an early adopter, I overpaid for the kit myself. But it all works out in the end just the same.

Anyone who says that OEM is cheaper and better than aftermarket parts (without doing proper research) usually don't know what they're talking about. And as far as why we install cameras in the rear of compact cars... well, that's because we CAN. Don't knock it til you've tried it.
Rick Hunter is offline  
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 AM
  #100  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
joshg1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,890
Likes: 0
Liked 38 Times in 34 Posts
2017 E300
After having my first backup camera in our lexus, we vowed to never buy a car without a backup camera. Well here Im stuck with a C class without one. lol. Looking to do this mod, just dont know where to install it
joshg1001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: