C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 used in the new A4 commercial!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jherbias
I thought of getting a W204 but decided not to.

PS. It's nice to know that you, as a W204 owner, have nothing intelligent to offer to the conversation. Brilliant!
I made some points earlier on this topic, mainly that I felt companies in general who name their competitors in their own ads were, in my opinion, tasteless.

I also pointed out the ridiculous nature in which amanonfire used a camera phone picture to compare the interior of the w204 vs studio pictures of the a4.

For Christ's sake, your last 3 posts were

"I bet your job doesn't require you to think"

"Go ask the Germans, they think MB's suck"

"Glad you have nothing intelligent to offer to this conversation"

You have anything positive to offer, Negative Nancy?

My post, as unintelligent as you make think it was, was sarcastically taking a jab at all the MB-haters (and the effort in which they go about it). Pains me that I had to explain that.

And yes, AsianML, I do know that this is a discussion forum - hence "rhetorical" - you sure it's not a haters-forum? Kidding, of course

Lastly, love your car jherbias let's see some mods already.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 PM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Originally Posted by mb_horseshoe
I made some points earlier on this topic, mainly that I felt companies in general who name their competitors in their own ads were, in my opinion, tasteless.

I also pointed out the ridiculous nature in which amanonfire used a camera phone picture to compare the interior of the w204 vs studio pictures of the a4.

For Christ's sake, your last 3 posts were

"I bet your job doesn't require you to think"

"Go ask the Germans, they think MB's suck"

"Glad you have nothing intelligent to offer to this conversation"

You have anything positive to offer, Negative Nancy?

My post, as unintelligent as you make think it was, was sarcastically taking a jab at all the MB-haters (and the effort in which they go about it). Pains me that I had to explain that.

And yes, AsianML, I do know that this is a discussion forum - hence "rhetorical" - you sure it's not a haters-forum? Kidding, of course

Lastly, love your car jherbias let's see some mods already.
I get annoyed whenever I "sense" that people think MB (or any other luxury car company) is the end-all of cars. Audi is nearly as old as Mercedes yet people unfortunately think of it as a second-tier German car. People tend to be ignorant of the Auto Union days and the fact that Audi is the dominant company in sportscar racing. Look at Mercedes track record in racing - they don't do Le Mans anymore.

I am not an MB hater... like I said I was going to get a W204. In fact my favorite MB is the CL. But I decided I wouldn't be happy with it, at least as much as I would as w/ my current car. I also remembered jumping into one and expressing great disappointment (W204). At the time it didn't seem, at least to me, that they improved the interior a whole lot.

I like my car, but hell, I can find a lot of faults with it (and the company as a whole). I'm not going to pretend that a BMW is cooler than anything else "just because." When I mentioned to my dealer that my mom wants to know what the real difference between her Lexus and BMW is, the "worst" thing he said is that they were different cars for different people. They saw my old Z and asked "well, what is wrong with your car?" NEVER did they mention that a BMW was "that much better" than anything else.

Pessismistic, maybe, but the apparent "it's just a VW" air I see in here sometimes is just lame. I have read a lot of subjective arguments in here that smack of ignorance. I don't care if anybody bashes my car in here... like they did in my other thread, but when I read "empty" posts I just have to roll my eyes sometimes.

Finally, no mods on the car; if I do get something it would be at most wheels. I wanna save up in case I want to move out of the house...

Last edited by jherbias; 09-03-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
People tend to be ignorant of the Auto Union days and the fact that Audi is the dominant company in sportscar racing. Look at Mercedes track record in racing - they don't do Le Mans anymore.
Sorry but just wanted to point out that Audi is also not in F1. The premier racing leage of the world. Le Mans is a great race to be apart of aswell, but since you pointed out MB is not in Le Mans I thought if fit to do the same for F1. Im not getting into a pissing match here, just making a point too.

And yes lets look at MB track record, I believe it is between Ferrari and MB for the constructor championship this year. MB is very close to Ferrari, down by 8 points. One win for MB and one DNF or less than 8th for Ferrari will tie this race up. Thats not too hard to think possible since Lewis leads the drivers standing.

I should add that McLaren is was involved in industrial espionage against Ferrari. (Just to be fair)

Last edited by 451/443=EW; 09-03-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Sorry but just wanted to point out that Audi is also not in F1. The premier racing leage of the world. Le Mans is a great race to be apart of aswell, but since you pointed out MB is not in Le Mans I thought if fit to do the same for F1. Im not getting into a pissing match here, just making a point too.

And yes lets look at MB track record, I believe it is between Ferrari and MB for the constructor championship this year. MB is very close to Ferrari, down by 8 points. One win for MB and one DNF or less than 8th for Ferrari will tie this race up. Thats not too hard to think possible since Lewis leads the drivers standing.

I should add that McLaren is was involved in industrial espionage against Ferrari. (Just to be fair)
MB doesn't do anything but the engine in F1. And before 2004 they had Ilmor build their engines; all they did was put their name on it.

And this is what Norbert Haug said to Mario Theissen when the latter was still working with Williams: it's easier to build an engine than a chassis.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
MB doesn't do anything but the engine in F1. And before 2004 they had Ilmor build their engines; all they did was put their name on it.

And this is what Norbert Haug said to Mario Theissen when the latter was still working with Williams: it's easier to build an engine than a chassis.
ok so you decide the engine is easier to build than a chassis. This was very brilliant after all.

Read the history here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R8_(race_car)

As if audi was making the chassis for le mans them selves.

Oh PLEASE!!!

and here is the so called BMW F1 origin!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Sauber

Last edited by lx Raven xl; 09-04-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by zankok
but bashing other cars in ur ad = fail

i pick C class any day over A4 cause of the style and its name

but really
its OK to be snobby, picking MB for "its name"
its not OK to be snobby and pick on another brand in a commercial

but really?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
Originally Posted by amanonfire
its OK to be snobby, picking MB for "its name"
its not OK to be snobby and pick on another brand in a commercial

but really?
its OK to be snobby, commenting on commercial in a forum
its not OK to be snobby and pick on another member's comment

really?

Last edited by zankok; 09-04-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 AM

W203
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
Nothing they said in the commercial is incorrect. Comparing the C300 4Matic, 328xi and IS250 AWD to the A4 2.0TQ, they are smaller, slower and less fuel efficient.

C300 4Matic - 17/25 mpg, 7.1s (0-60), 182.3" (front to back) and 67.2" (side to side)

328xi - 17/25 mpg, 7.1s (0-60), 178.2" (front to back) and 71.5" (side to side)

IS250 AWD - 20/26 mpg, 8.3s (0-60), 180.1" (front to back) and 70.9" (side to side)

A4 2.0TQ - 21/27 mpg, 6.7s (0-60), 185.2" (front to back) and 72" (side to side)

All the info was from each manufacturer's site.
Glad some informed people have kept this thread going.

I understand the W204 owners angst, I'd hate to have my car ripped apart, and not have a leg to stand on besides the snobby "its a Mercedes".
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
Glad some informed people have kept this thread going.

I understand the W204 owners angst, I'd hate to have my car ripped apart, and not have a leg to stand on besides the snobby "its a Mercedes".
if u have missed the point then read and think again
its not how good they make cars
its how bad they advertise
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
ok so you decide the engine is easier to build than a chassis. This was very brilliant after all.

Read the history here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R8_(race_car)

As if audi was making the chassis for le mans them selves.

Oh PLEASE!!!

and here is the so called BMW F1 origin!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Sauber
Let me guess... you aren't paid to think either. Where did I mention BMW's F1 origin? Did I compare BMW to Mercedes? I already know they bought Sauber. They kept the Sauber name strictly as homage you tool. Do you even know who Norbert Haug is? I doubt it. Why don't you wiki him too, smart guy. While you're at it, Wiki the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The Audi R10 geometry is designed in-house w/ a few consultancy companies, then Dallara builds it and wind-tunnels it. Then the parts are sent back to Audi for final wind-tunnel testing.

www.mulsannescorner.com

While you're here too, go look at the Mercedes CLR. Look up the R10 as well - the R8 is old news already.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM

W203
its OK to be snobby, commenting on commercial in a forum
its not OK to be snobby and pick on another member's comment

really?
its not OK to be snobby at all
you missed my point

yet if you're going to be snobby about buying a car, it should be OK to be snobby about a commercial

really.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 AM

W203
if u have missed the point then read and think again
its not how good they make cars
its how bad they advertise
boo hoo

its a great advertisement, aimed squarely at the (admittedly) snobby Mercedes owner
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
boo hoo

its a great advertisement, aimed squarely at the (admittedly) snobby Mercedes owner
im not going to bother wasting my time over the internet with some immature beings hence my post will stop here
u have won and hope ull be hapi about it
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM

boo hoo

I don't know if it's aimed directly at a Mercedes owner. I think they were trying to say that MB is the establishment... and there's a new sheriff in town. It's like their R8 and S5 (A5?) commercial. Snobby is also pretty subjective in the commercial.

But it worked... now we're comparing the A4 and C-class. Hopefully the informed viewer won't say "it's just a VW" and actually test drive the damn car.

Last edited by jherbias; 09-04-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the engine the life and hart of a car. Ya its nice to have a great chassis in your driveway, but only if it moves right?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the engine the life and hart of a car. Ya its nice to have a great chassis in your driveway, but only if it moves right?
Norbert Haug is the motorsport director of Mercedes-Benz; Mario Theissen (sp) is the same of BMW. You can ask them...
Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Norbert Haug is the motorsport director of Mercedes-Benz; Mario Theissen (sp) is the same of BMW. You can ask them...
Why ask them, they build race cars and I buy steet cars. I dont need there imput on what I like. BMW makes great cars and I see you have one, good for you. But I think we are getting off topic from this thead. You made a point about MB in Le Mans and I did the same for Audi in F1. This has nothing do do with BMW. Who buy the way is a not too far 3rd but lets see how this weekend goes.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Let me guess... you aren't paid to think either. Where did I mention BMW's F1 origin? Did I compare BMW to Mercedes? I already know they bought Sauber. They kept the Sauber name strictly as homage you tool. Do you even know who Norbert Haug is? I doubt it. Why don't you wiki him too, smart guy. While you're at it, Wiki the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The Audi R10 geometry is designed in-house w/ a few consultancy companies, then Dallara builds it and wind-tunnels it. Then the parts are sent back to Audi for final wind-tunnel testing.

www.mulsannescorner.com

While you're here too, go look at the Mercedes CLR. Look up the R10 as well - the R8 is old news already.

I changed my mind and delete the orginal reply as it is a never ending convo with nothing to gain at the end.

Now if you wanna say something proven about w204 then please go ahead . Do not call owners of w204 what ever you want and keep your brialliant replies or comments for the cars only

Last edited by lx Raven xl; 09-05-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
I changed my mind and delete the orginal reply as it is a never ending convo with nothing to gain at the end.

Now if you wanna say something proven about w204 then please go ahead . Do not call owners of w204 what ever you want and keep your brialliant replies or comments for the cars only
I never said anything that generalizes W204 owners. If I have, point it out. I just don't think the Mercedes is a better car than Audi or Honda just because there's a name to it. There's a lot of replies in this thread that follow that protocol.

And I've said it a dozen of times... I was considering the car until I realized I wouldn't be happy with it. I have sat in one before so I at least have a decent opinion of the interior.

The commercial is bogus to some but their campaign this year means they are going to break out of that second-tier German car status that many people unfortunately put them in, just because "it's a VW."
Old 09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
I never said anything that generalizes W204 owners. If I have, point it out. I just don't think the Mercedes is a better car than Audi or Honda just because there's a name to it. There's a lot of replies in this thread that follow that protocol.

And I've said it a dozen of times... I was considering the car until I realized I wouldn't be happy with it. I have sat in one before so I at least have a decent opinion of the interior.

The commercial is bogus to some but their campaign this year means they are going to break out of that second-tier German car status that many people unfortunately put them in, just because "it's a VW."
Everyone has a diferent idea of a good car, Honda are great if you want styal and reliability. But look back into history and see were most Auto makers get the new technology from. Yes they all contribute, but MB is one of the leaders of new features that make it to market as a standard feature now. Example- ESP honda, toyota, chrysler, gm..... they call it a different name but it came form MB. So who makes the best car.... well it just depends on what you want from your car. Audi is also a big factor to the auto world with the Quattro system. Porsche with the turbo. GM with the air bag, Saab with Active head rest. Im not saying MB is the one, but the S class is ahead of most and the all seem to chase the S.

As for Audi, well they are makeing moves, they have big plans to increase the product line to I think around 44 cars. More competion mean we as consumers win as they keep giving us more for less.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM

c300
I'm guessing the owner of the 78 camaro with a blown 427 would agree.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 PM

2003 ML500, 06 Subaru STI, 03 Yamaha R6
I cant believe how worked up folks are getting over comments made by a guy that cough cough still lives at home. I say this in the context that most folks still living at home dont have much in the way of real world experience or perspective.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everyone has a diferent idea of a good car, Honda are great if you want styal and reliability. But look back into history and see were most Auto makers get the new technology from. Yes they all contribute, but MB is one of the leaders of new features that make it to market as a standard feature now. Example- ESP honda, toyota, chrysler, gm..... they call it a different name but it came form MB. So who makes the best car.... well it just depends on what you want from your car. Audi is also a big factor to the auto world with the Quattro system. Porsche with the turbo. GM with the air bag, Saab with Active head rest. Im not saying MB is the one, but the S class is ahead of most and the all seem to chase the S.

As for Audi, well they are makeing moves, they have big plans to increase the product line to I think around 44 cars. More competion mean we as consumers win as they keep giving us more for less.
ABS, ESP, variable valve timing, Pre-Safe, and airbags, and of course, diesel cars, from what I know, MB was the first to bring these to market among MANY other things.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 AM

CLS, C
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
It just comes down to knocking down the king of the hill which currently the w204 is for it's class.
can anyone say 335i twin turbo?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by vyruz
can anyone say 335i twin turbo?
People will think I'm biased (sig), but I don't remember a C-class topping a 3-series in any car magazine.