C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

SOLUTION FOR REAR DOOR PINS (NEED ONE)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
SOLUTION FOR REAR DOOR PINS (NEED ONE)

So i bought and installed the front door pins... they look beautiful, love how clean they look and how the carbon fiber matches with the black bird's eye maple wood, and the real metal chrome top goes with the interior chrome accents... make sure you peel off the protective film over the mercedes star... i didnt realize at first and was dissapointed in the finish until i realized the film was still on there...

anyway, what is the solution to getting some good looking after market pins on the rear?

both of mine already broke off and are just sitting on top of the inner pins unsecured...

anybody done it yet? or has everyone just got the dealer to re put in stock pins under warranty repair???

I was trying to pull out the inner screw threads on my other 2 carbon/chrome/star pins so they would fit over the rear pin studs, but have had no luck so far...

any other ideas???

the air tubing mentioned earlier does not work at all by the way... the problem is that the inner screw thread casing causes the opening to be too small on the rear pins, so it doesnt even go down over the stud 1/3 of the way

Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I considered the CF pins but the rears is what stopped me (no way to modify fitment). The dealership replaced mine twice. The first time- they broke off again. The second time- I planned on replacing them and could barely pull them off. The plastic pins seemed to be stronger material and did not crack when removed. It appears they addressed the issue.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I don't have the carbon wrapped ones mine are all metal and I drilled the threads out before putting the airline on as I said it sits about the same height as the OEM ones when locked.

Unlocked
Old 08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
hmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
I considered the CF pins but the rears is what stopped me (no way to modify fitment). The dealership replaced mine twice. The first time- they broke off again. The second time- I planned on replacing them and could barely pull them off. The plastic pins seemed to be stronger material and did not crack when removed. It appears they addressed the issue.
When did you replace the second time? I try to figure out if my June 08 built 2009 car already has the fix.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM

push pedal bicycle & '08 C 350
ron jr, how exactly did you get those on in the back? i read you post on it in another thread, but it is still unclear in my head.

1. what method did you use to remove the OEM rear?
2. once removed, you used the tubing to insert it into what?
3. drill out the threads on the new pins then insert?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by methodz
ron jr, how exactly did you get those on in the back? i read you post on it in another thread, but it is still unclear in my head.

1. what method did you use to remove the OEM rear?
2. once removed, you used the tubing to insert it into what?
3. drill out the threads on the new pins then insert?
Ron and correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my understanding...

First you have to just pop the oem rear pins, either break it accidentally or intentionally. This should give you access to the inner stem. The replacement pins are just hallow tubes with threading on the top part for the screws. This will need to be drilled out so you have a full hallow tube from top to bottom. Now you can insert your rubber tubing through the hallow. Then insert the inner stem through the tubing which should tighten up and hopefully hold the pin to the stem tightly.

The problem with the CF ones is it looks to be two piece with the chrome top cap attached to the CF tube and I worry that drilling out the threading might also loosen the top cap to the tube, essentially breaking the pin.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM

push pedal bicycle & '08 C 350
i guess that is where my misunderstanding came in.

i thought when the oem pins in the rear break that the cable it attaches to hangs loosely. but from what you say it seems when the pins break the cable is still held in place by some sort of clamp letting you apply pressure with the new pin?

i might just buy the pins and use the fronts and when the backs eventually break i can try out the ron jr technique.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Azn_C300

First you have to just pop the oem rear pins, either break it accidentally or intentionally. This should give you access to the inner stem. The replacement pins are just hallow tubes with threading on the top part for the screws. This will need to be drilled out so you have a full hallow tube from top to bottom. Now you can insert your rubber tubing through the hallow. Then insert the inner stem through the tubing which should tighten up and hopefully hold the pin to the stem tightly.

The problem with the CF ones is it looks to be two piece with the chrome top cap attached to the CF tube and I worry that drilling out the threading might also loosen the top cap to the tube, essentially breaking the pin.
You got it. Been holding fine so far. I am thinking about cutting the pin cover so it sits flush.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:53 PM

08-C350 black/black
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
You got it. Been holding fine so far. I am thinking about cutting the pin cover so it sits flush.
if u take it bak off to cut can u please post some pix of the inner stem that sticks out from the door...thanxx
Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aprince2die4
if u take it bak off to cut can u please post some pix of the inner stem that sticks out from the door...thanxx

Can you please post in english. Had to read your post three times to figure out what you were saying.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
I don't have the carbon wrapped ones mine are all metal and I drilled the threads out before putting the airline on as I said it sits about the same height as the OEM ones when locked.

Unlocked
ahhhh , now i see... you drilled it out... i wondered how the heck it fit on the rears for you!

what size bit did you use?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ahhh might be true... how bout u try it first then let me know? jk...

i think i might try this tomorrow, if it goes bad oh well there goes 30 bucks

i will update after i try

id say chances are slim though that it will stay in one piece...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by rb23lb
ahhh might be true... how bout u try it first then let me know? jk...

i think i might try this tomorrow, if it goes bad oh well there goes 30 bucks

i will update after i try

id say chances are slim though that it will stay in one piece...
Aren't they plastic pins wrapped in carbon fiber? If you are very careful and use a dremel at low speed- you might get it. Good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Aren't they plastic pins wrapped in carbon fiber? If you are very careful and use a dremel at low speed- you might get it. Good luck
true, but inside the carbon and plastic there is a metal threading insert...

i will need some type of metal grinding bit..
Old 08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

true, but inside the carbon and plastic there is a metal threading insert...

i will need some type of metal grinding bit..
yeah, you have to see the inside of the pin to really understand how the pieces work together. You'd be drilling the top cap piece in essence and not even touching the tube part.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, you have to see the inside of the pin to really understand how the pieces work together. You'd be drilling the top cap piece in essence and not even touching the tube part.
azn, you think the top cap piece is the same piece that has all the threading?

would make sense...

BTW, where you an engineer at in the san gabriel valley area?

curious, cus I work for a big oil and gas engineering company around the same area...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

azn, you think the top cap piece is the same piece that has all the threading?

would make sense...

BTW, where you an engineer at in the san gabriel valley area?

curious, cus I work for a big oil and gas engineering company around the same area...
Without disassembling it and going by purely visual inspection, it looks like the top cap piece is part of the threading. If it's constructed like I think it is, it might be able to be drilled off, but you'd have to be very careful in that you only drill away the inner thread tube part. You can see there's actually a gap opening between the inner thread tube and the main tube body.

And no, I never worked in San Gabriel Valley. When I was living back in the OC, worked out of the naval warfare center in Corona.