C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Airbag malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 '04, C200K '08
Airbag malfunction

Been searching on w204 airbag error, but couldn't find. Need helps. Here the story. I got new OEM wood/leather steering wheel, and asked a mechanic to replace stock s.wheel. Before that, I've read threads on steps for safety installation, i.e. unplugged ignition key, unplugged neg (-) cord of the battery, etc.. those seem to work out with other model (w203, etc..). When we (me watchin) went thru all steps, and put the new s.wheel, the indicator says "FR Malfunction - workshop" hmm, just like another stuff i guess.. guys, is it just a reset issue? or something else? the horn still work. Will this affect the warranty? thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Airbag

Originally Posted by bremhem
Been searching on w204 airbag error, but couldn't find. Need helps. Here the story. I got new OEM wood/leather steering wheel, and asked a mechanic to replace stock s.wheel. Before that, I've read threads on steps for safety installation, i.e. unplugged ignition key, unplugged neg (-) cord of the battery, etc.. those seem to work out with other model (w203, etc..). When we (me watchin) went thru all steps, and put the new s.wheel, the indicator says "FR Malfunction - workshop" hmm, just like another stuff i guess.. guys, is it just a reset issue? or something else? the horn still work. Will this affect the warranty? thanks
There was no need to disconnect the battery which can bring on various warnings later which should reset themselves.

He did plug the bag back in, I assume.

Regardless, your warranty is unaffected. That is the MB wood/leather wheel, isn't it?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Not an expert on these things, but it sounds like a voided warranty to me. If theres one thing car companies won't let you mess with its the safety systems. If you modify it in any way shape or form they will void your warranty in case you are involved in a crash and one of the systems doesn't work they don't want you to come back on them and sue them. This is why the sell a wood/leather steering wheel thats installed an approved by the manufacture. That all said I think I would make a trip in to get a service tech to look at it and make sure all wires were connected and not nicked, cut, or crimped when the new wheel was installed. Am I the only one that thinks something like this should have been handled by an MB tech? It is the only thing between you and your face eating the steering wheel.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 08-27-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 AM

E46 '04, C200K '08
RLE: Yes this is MB oem s.wheel and no modification of any kind on the wiring system . I forgot to say that i did not unplugged the battery though, but no ignition key was inserted. All other functions/instruments are working properly, it just the airbag warning indicator. I was told that if horn does not work, the bag might be broken.. I know i shud take it to the MB workshop, i just try to get opinions from others. Thanks..
Old 08-28-2008, 07:37 AM

08 MB
Any time an airbag module is unplugged you will get this warning and the only way it can be turned off is by an advanced diagnostic tool that most dealers only use or independent shops.

I got the same message unplugging my seat module. From my research the dealer can charge quite a lot to turn the message off as they charge you a full hours labor. I'm sure this ranges from shop to shop depending on the service tech you deal with.

I'm personally going to go to an independent shop once I get around to it as my OBD2 scanner can't turn the message off.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by bremhem
I forgot to say that i did not unplugged the battery though, but no ignition key was inserted. Thanks..
If there is a next time make sure you "always" unplug the battery. Any type of short can activate the bag which can cause injury and be expensive to replace.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM

E46 '04, C200K '08
Thanks for sharing racetested, will bear in mind I think will check first to an independent speedshop..
Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Disconnect

Originally Posted by racetested
If there is a next time make sure you "always" unplug the battery. Any type of short can activate the bag which can cause injury and be expensive to replace.
The dealer techs never do on late model MBs because it's not required. Key in your pocket, and that's it. The bag is a plug-in.