C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

FLASHING GREEN LIGHT IN TRUNK - How long will it be before it kills your battery????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
FLASHING GREEN LIGHT IN TRUNK - How long will it be before it kills your battery????

All w204's have the flashing green light in the trunk which prevents you from being able to lock people in the trunk, by giving the person in the trunk a highly visible escape button that never stops blinking Green, EVEN WHEN YOUR CAR IS LOCKED AND SITS IDLE FOR DAYS...

It NEVER stops blinking green... I found this when I locked the car and had my optional split seats in the folded down position... When I was walking out of the garage I saw a light inside that I at first thought was an interior light that wasn't going off..

Not a big deal at all to me, as I actually think its a pretty good safety feature in case a kid locks themselves in trunk... But I was just wondering, if I leave on vacation for 2 months and leave my car parked in the garage... Will the battery be dead when i get back because of this light that never goes off?

What do you guys think... My guess is no, because it blinks for too short a time period and seems like it would take a year to kill your battery...

Just board at work and wanted to start a worthless thread pretty much
Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by rb23lb
All w204's have the flashing green light in the trunk which prevents you from being able to lock people in the trunk, by giving the person in the trunk a highly visible escape button that never stops blinking Green, EVEN WHEN YOUR CAR IS LOCKED AND SITS IDLE FOR DAYS...

It NEVER stops blinking green... I found this when I locked the car and had my optional split seats in the folded down position... When I was walking out of the garage I saw a light inside that I at first thought was an interior light that wasn't going off..

Not a big deal at all to me, as I actually think its a pretty good safety feature in case a kid locks themselves in trunk... But I was just wondering, if I leave on vacation for 2 months and leave my car parked in the garage... Will the battery be dead when i get back because of this light that never goes off?

What do you guys think... My guess is no, because it blinks for too short a time period and seems like it would take a year to kill your battery...

Did you come back some time later and recheck? NEVER is a strong word when one is referencing 1 data point.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Flashing flashing

Originally Posted by rb23lb

This very important subject came up long ago. So, I did a little test to determine how long it takes for the light to stop flashing which was posted at that time..

Just for you, I'm running that test again and will post the result very soon. In the meantime, get back to work.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by RLE
This very important subject came up long ago. So, I did a little test to determine how long it takes for the light to stop flashing which was posted at that time..

Just for you, I'm running that test again and will post the result very soon. In the meantime, get back to work.
6-pack and pizza time.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Did you come back some time later and recheck? NEVER is a strong word when one is referencing 1 data point.
yes, I came back in about 35 minutes and it was still flashing...

maybe ill come back overnight and see if it still is flashing in the morning..
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I think it's supposed to stay on for 45 mins.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Green

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
OK OK OK. I got distracted and at three hour point it was out. So I started over.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
The manual for the SL says how long it will stay on. I though it was 30 min. I'm too ripped on Laphroaig 15 yr to check right now.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:42 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
every mercedes sedan has this. no one has battery drained because of this. if your power seat module fails now that will drain your battery within a day.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The internal resistence of the battery will discharge it far sooner than that blinking light would, even if left on all the time.

You can now worry about something else/
Old 09-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
I left my car sitting the entire summer without unhooking the battery. 95 days to be more specific.

It started without a problem .

One interesting thing was that my quickpark sensors were not working at all, but after running the car for a couple of miles they started working fine. I took the car to the dealer for the A service (and to have every checked after sitting for so long). I told my SA about the problem with the quickpark not working at first. She told me that when the car senses low battery, it goes into a "sleeping stage" where it shuts off all the electronics that are not vital; therefore after the battery got some charge it reactivated them.

This sound like BS to me, specially since I opened the car through the remote on the key before starting it. But what is not BS is that this car will last veeeery long sitting still before the battery dies (or maybe it is the OEM batter that it is excellent quality).
Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

That little green light

Originally Posted by RLE
OK OK OK. I got distracted and at three hour point it was out. So I started over.
Looks like it goes out somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes and that's all the time I'm wasting on this.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
My car sits for weeks and months at-a-time and it starts right up.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 BMW 328i
assuming its an LED, it could probably go for years.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
the answer is on your manual