C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

changing interior door handle LEDs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
changing interior door handle LEDs?

Changing the amber LED lights in the door handles to another color would make a big improvement and seems like an easy thing to do, if only you could figure out how to get to them.

Has anyone thought about doing this?
Anyone knows how to open up that part of the door.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by aowhaus
Changing the amber LED lights in the door handles to another color would make a big improvement and seems like an easy thing to do, if only you could figure out how to get to them.

Has anyone thought about doing this?
Anyone knows how to open up that part of the door.
I would love to do that as well. But i think you have to open the whole door pannel to gain access to the lights. Plus finding the lights that small would be a problem too.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
like all MB...any thing that's built onto the door require you to take the entire door panel off and access it from behind.

cool idea, but you will probably need to know how to solder.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
As Frank says most likely you would have to desolder the OEM LED's then solder new ones in. Is it worth it? I don't think so as I didn't even know they were there till I had the car a few weeks.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 AM

08 MB
I changed my whole dash and door LED's on my last car. As mentioned you have to do soldering with very, very, small LED's and I would assume the MB is no different.

Easy to do is determined by your skill level and tools to work with. With my last car the LED's in the door were extremely tiny and the boards they were soldered to very thin so if your iron is too hot you would burn the board(break the connection) and have no LED at all.

Last edited by racetested; 10-08-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by racetested
I changed my whole dash and door LED's on my last car. As mentioned you have to do soldering with very, very, small LED's and I would assume the MB is no different.

Easy to do is determined by your skill level and tools to work with. With my last car the LED's in the door were extremely tiny and the boards they were soldered to very thin so if your iron is too hot you would burn the board(break the connection) and have no LED at all.
I'd like to do this too. I am not worried about soldering. I used to assemble hearing aids which required soldering tiny wires on a chip/ board while viewing them through a microscope.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35
i didn't even know that there are amber leds under the door handle (have the car for 3 months - i don't drive at night that much)
Old 10-10-2008, 03:07 AM

'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Originally Posted by Mxcn
i didn't even know that there are amber leds under the door handle (have the car for 3 months - i don't drive at night that much)
LOL ! That's the ONE thing my wife pointed out to me that I hadn't noticed yet. I had been telling her all the cool stuff I'd learned about the W204, and she was so happy I didn't know about it already.

Anyway, it would probably be a pretty cool mod. I've got the blue LED foot lights in the front (driver and passenger foot wells), so matching lights at the handles might be nice. That said, I'm not gonna rip out my door panels.

Be sure to post pics if ya' do it. If you take pics of the process, it'll make for a great DIY thread addition.