C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

home made ram air?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
home made ram air?

sooo im bored and was lookin at my air filter box, and was just thinkin how its just soo big and bulky and just slows down the air intake capacity. I was thinking if its possible to come up with my own air intake..i would leave the 2 tubes that come in from the inside of the top of the grille, eliminate the air box and use like 3" tubing that runs along the sides of the motor and goes directly into the throttle body that has like a 4" diameter. the 2 seperate tubes would have there own air filter ofcourse, but my main problem is how would i be able to get some kind of fitting for this or what kind of hoses should i use.. let me know what u guys think.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
sorry to burst your bubble, but they won't make much if any difference other than sound.

original airbox is not as restrictive as you think on the m272.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 6speed
ya iam currently developing a kit almost just as u described
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 AM

W204
don't bother...what is in there now is the way to go. short, cold air delivery...or this sh*t option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...mZ230302466624
Old 10-22-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
noo thats garbage.. i want to keep the atachments that are in the inside of the grille, on top..i wanna eliminate The air box and have tubes going dirrectly into the throttle body.. the port is about 4" in diameter.. i know this is a better system no doubt.. just making it is the problem
Old 10-22-2008, 02:11 PM

W204
OK so where do the filters go? airbox / no air box? HEAT SOAK CITY. There is a reason that there are not too many aftermarket CAI or RAM air intake set ups available for the M272's like there are for say E46's/E90's or a lot of imports. the AMG motors use approx the same set up for a reason too. it is the most direct way to get cold air to the motor. any filters exposed will just soak up heat and your low end tq will disappear. if you take the tubes off and drive the car hard for a few minutes allowing the bay to get hot you will notice a dramatic loss tq because the only air the motor sees is the hot air directly to the left and right of the cylinders.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by StickyZ
OK so where do the filters go? airbox / no air box? HEAT SOAK CITY. There is a reason that there are not too many aftermarket CAI or RAM air intake set ups available for the M272's like there are for say E46's/E90's or a lot of imports. the AMG motors use approx the same set up for a reason too. it is the most direct way to get cold air to the motor. any filters exposed will just soak up heat and your low end tq will disappear. if you take the tubes off and drive the car hard for a few minutes allowing the bay to get hot you will notice a dramatic loss tq because the only air the motor sees is the hot air directly to the left and right of the cylinders.
I agreed.....
Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 PM

08 MB
Originally Posted by FrankW
sorry to burst your bubble, but they won't make much if any difference other than sound.

FrankW is right. These motors are getting plenty of air for a 3.0 or 3.5 in stock form.

I believe too many people are seeing set-ups on other cars and the gains they make and thinking we should see the same but we don't have restrictions that I can see for what our motor needs to digest for air.

I know people are stubborn so go at it but money and time can be better spent elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 PM

W204
Originally Posted by racetested
FrankW is right. These motors are getting plenty of air for a 3.0 or 3.5 in stock form.

I believe too many people are seeing set-ups on other cars and the gains they make and thinking we should see the same but we don't have restrictions that I can see for what our motor needs to digest for air.

I know people are stubborn so go at it but money and time can be better spent elsewhere.
THANK YOU
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
Originally Posted by StickyZ
I think you guys dont get what i wanna do..The filters go inside the 2 round tubes i wanted to use.. k&n makes filters of all sizes.. i wanna eliminate the air box, its just 2 tubes going from the grille directly into the throttle body i need an atatchment that goes from 2-1..i was thinkin of heat also but the original air box sits rite above the motor anyway whats the diference... it was just a thought

Last edited by bigigg; 10-22-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
Originally Posted by FrankW

i must say, it sounds so goooooooooood tho.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The stock setup is excellent, the modifications will probably reduce performance.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
yea im not gonna touch it.. im just bored.. if i was worried bout performance i wouldnt have these big 20" heavy chrome wheels
Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
It would be cool to just see how much the airbox assembly weighs - someone could be cooky enough to "lighten it up" for performance instead. CF perhaps? =). And why not open it up at the same time? Just takes time and serious dedication I suppose.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:44 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by mig888
It would be cool to just see how much the airbox assembly weighs - someone could be cooky enough to "lighten it up" for performance instead. CF perhaps? =). And why not open it up at the same time? Just takes time and serious dedication I suppose.

I can weight it tonight for an exact figure but I've had the airbox off enough to know it won't be more than 5-7lbs.

There's nothing to open up for our small displacement motor in stock trim trim and I've thought about several ways to modify the intake until I realized I need another hobby rather than wasting money and time to gain 5hp if that's even there.

1) Keep the OEM look but remove the internal panel filters then fiberglass this area to smooth round tubes to keep airflow moving smoothly. Add K&N oval or round filters up front.
2) Remove stock airbox and make a single round tube intake design like a 350Z, modified SRT Crossfire, C32 etc with a conical filter running to the lower bumper.
3) Same as 2 above but with dual intakes again with a Y splitter on the TB.

At the end of the day we are back to the OEM design but in a different way. Yes conical filters smooth the air out better than panel filters but that's the only very, very, small difference we would make that would add up next to nothing in the end.