C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Driver's side view mirror - autodimming halo effect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Driver's side view mirror - autodimming halo effect

Does anyone notice that the autodimming feature on the drivers side mirror, combined with the way the autodimming portion does not extend to the outer edge of the mirror glass, produces a halo effect in the glass on the drivers side window that makes it hard to see objects in the mirror at night? There is always this halo image in the glass that is the projection of the outer edge of the side view mirror in the window. This has become my biggest quirk about the car.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Dim

Originally Posted by nyca
Does anyone notice that the autodimming feature on the drivers side mirror, combined with the way the autodimming portion does not extend to the outer edge of the mirror glass, produces a halo effect in the glass on the drivers side window that makes it hard to see objects in the mirror at night? There is always this halo image in the glass that is the projection of the outer edge of the side view mirror in the window. This has become my biggest quirk about the car.
Yes, I saw it when I got the car. No, it does not bother me in the slightest.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
what doesnt make sense is how the passenger mirror doesnt dim. damn them... but no, it doesnt bother me. its weird, but doesnt bother me
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Drivers side doesn't bother me but the passenger side not dimming is just odd.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Mostly I forget about it, but then ....

Lately in the rain, it is especially noticeable that there is a ring of un-dimmed mirror glass on the driver's side. It often reflects the too-bright headlamp of that pick up behind me as I'm trying to figure out where things are (myself includeded) on the rain-slick road.

The passenger side is easier to ignore since it's consistent.

I do find that, since I'd never used dimming mirrors even though I had them, it is harder for me to judge where other cars are in multi-lane roads. So I'm twisting about in the seat more often now.

One cool thing is to be kicking up a rooster tail of water driving along in the left lane at 70+ and have a car just behind and one lane over. The spray on the driver's side is lit up nicely in the auto-dimming mirror. Very unusual.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
indeed, its a safety issue to me. Why do they have that ring of undimmed glass around the edge?

There really should be a service bulletin for this.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C230 Sport
Drivers does not bother me either.....but, for all of you people that are bothered by the fact the psgr side does not dim.....well for most people it bothers them when another car is behind and their lights shine in their eyes........well.

I have taken various driving courses.....the proper way to align your psgr right mirror is NOT the way most people do it. Most look to their right and have it so they can see along the edge of their car. The proper way is to lean over to your right so your head is above the centre consol......Now aim your mirror so you can see along the edge of the car. It will avoid the blind spot from when a car leaves your rear view and enters and leaves your sight in the side mirror till your periferal vision picks it up on the right side.

I will get off my soap box now.

Lar
Old 11-10-2008, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by bones932
Drivers does not bother me either.....but, for all of you people that are bothered by the fact the psgr side does not dim.....well for most people it bothers them when another car is behind and their lights shine in their eyes........well.

I have taken various driving courses.....the proper way to align your psgr right mirror is NOT the way most people do it. Most look to their right and have it so they can see along the edge of their car. The proper way is to lean over to your right so your head is above the centre consol......Now aim your mirror so you can see along the edge of the car. It will avoid the blind spot from when a car leaves your rear view and enters and leaves your sight in the side mirror till your periferal vision picks it up on the right side.

Lar
Good thinking.
So I do not have to lean anywhere I stick a small wide angle mirror onto the inside of my outside mirror to cover the blind spot. I find it very effctive.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by bones932

Lar
Good thinking.
So I do not have to lean anywhere I stick a small wide angle mirror onto the inside of my outside mirror to cover the blind spot. I find it very effective.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 AM

W204 C180K AMG
yes, my driver mirror does it too, but it doesn´t bother me.

do you know if there is an autodimming mirror for the copilot mirror??

here in spain there is not an option
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM

c300
carsy, i will do the same. i dont like leaning just looking. LOL
funny on my bmw 5 the mirrors were smaller, but no blind spot.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by merc300
carsy, i will do the same. i dont like leaning just looking. LOL
funny on my bmw 5 the mirrors were smaller, but no blind spot.
Gah. I'm in an e90 328i right now (past week and his week) while my C is in the body shop. The blind spots on the damn thing could hide a city bus, and no matter what I do to the mirrors they seem to still be there.