C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Gritty feeling engine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by johff
Any news on the repairs?
Sorry to bring up an old thread....but I took my car to the dealer, they had it for 2 days, and they say they felt "nothing unusual". Anyone with any updates? Aggressive---I know you had an update thread that the problem came back again after all the repairs....although your issue seems a bit worse than mine.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by akbro93704
Sorry to bring up an old thread....but I took my car to the dealer, they had it for 2 days, and they say they felt "nothing unusual". Anyone with any updates? Aggressive---I know you had an update thread that the problem came back again after all the repairs....although your issue seems a bit worse than mine.
That's right: Any news on the repairs? It seems like everyone has either given up on this issue or they have the problems fixed on their cars.

I took my car back AGAIN just this week. They gave me a C 230 as a loaner. I live in Canada, btw. The C 230 engine was way way smother than my C 300 4 MATIC. The C 230 engine idles like the car was wasn't running at all that is so quiet and I can hardly feel or even hear the engine. When the car was running, the engine was so smooth and quiet at any engine speed and road speed. Unlike my C 300 4 MATIC. The technician said it is normal for the 3.0L engine to ildes loud and sounds gritty I am still not convinced!!
Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
That's right: Any news on the repairs? It seems like everyone has either given up on this issue or they have the problems fixed on their cars.

I took my car back AGAIN just this week. They gave me a C 230 as a loaner. I live in Canada, btw. The C 230 engine was way way smother than my C 300 4 MATIC. The C 230 engine idles like the car was wasn't running at all that is so quiet and I can hardly feel or even hear the engine. When the car was running, the engine was so smooth and quiet at any engine speed and road speed. Unlike my C 300 4 MATIC. The technician said it is normal for the 3.0L engine to ildes loud and sounds gritty I am still not convinced!!
That's nonesense. Please go and test drive a new C300 off the showroom floor.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport

I was going to make more of a fuss about it, but they had my car until yesterday, and I need my car Monday when school starts. When I have time I'm going to compare mine to another 300.

But thats ridiculous. The 3.0 liter shouldn't feel ANY different than the 2.5 or 3.5 V6.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

I was going to make more of a fuss about it, but they had my car until yesterday, and I need my car Monday when school starts. When I have time I'm going to compare mine to another 300.

But thats ridiculous. The 3.0 liter shouldn't feel ANY different than the 2.5 or 3.5 V6.
Absolutely - & smoother than any 4 banger
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Almost a Member!

I agree! The 3.0 liter shouldn't feel ANY different than the 2.5 or 3.5 liter V6. The 2.5 liter V6 engine in the C 230 loaner that they gave me was so smooth and quiet that I thought I was driving an entirely car of DIFFERENT make than a Mercedes. I will go and test drive another C 300 4 MATIC in the showroom, if they have one.

I hope it's not a typical drivetrain noise from the front AWD driveshafts, propeller shaft, bearings, etc.

Anyone has their problems fixed yet? Please let us know if you have your problems fixed. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:03 PM

FYI: The problem I was having is back now. The C300 has been at the dealer for a week and 3 days now. They have not called me once. In a short time, I will have accumulated 30 calendar days that my C has been at the dealer and I will enter into Lemon Law Arbitration.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Aggressive
FYI: The problem I was having is back now. The C300 has been at the dealer for a week and 3 days now. They have not called me once. In a short time, I will have accumulated 30 calendar days that my C has been at the dealer and I will enter into Lemon Law Arbitration.
Sorry to hear about the ongoing issue. Let us now how well MB treats you!!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Hey guys, I took the C300 back to the dealer for the 3rd time on Thursday the 11th. Good news! I am not crazy and they found a problem. The service attendant, the Master Technician, and one other person drove my car. They all heard and felt the problems that I have been having. They could not believe how bad it was. The result............They still have may car, its Sunday the 14th........They have ordered new Motor Mounts and a new exhaust. I do not know the details but they said there was something wrong with the Motor mounts and they believe I also had a leak in the exhaust. I will be starting a new thread with my new found problem. Thank you all for your input.
Apparently I need to strike this comment as invalid. They installed new motor mounts, a new intake plenum, and some switch. I drove the car for 14 miles.....the check engine light came on. I brought the C300 back to the dealer. They replaced the left and right air pump switches. Check engine light has not come on since I got the car back. Well 3 days after having the car the gritty, gruffy problem started again. Now it has been at the dealer for a week and 3 days, they have not called me once. Not sure whats going on.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Good - I will be fascinated to understand what the problem is.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Good - I will be fascinated to understand what the problem is.
My service advisor called me at 6pm and said that they replaced a transmission mount. I honestly think that they are taking mutiple shots in the dark and have not idea what they are shooting at. They are not acting like troubleshooters. They are just replacing parts here and there. The bad thing is that I highly doubt it will fix the problem. It does not seem like it could be a mount, the car is not some old junker where the mounts would just wear out. When I drive the car it feels like the problem is mechanical. I am getting so fed up.

So, now the next step is for them to drive the car to see if it fixed the issue. If there is the slightest problem when I get the car back I will be dropping it with them again and initiating the Arbitration process for the Lemon Law.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi:

I am just wondering for those who have the engine "rumbling" or "gritty" noises have the problems fixed?

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM

I have has my car back for about a week now. I have not had any problems so far. The last repair they did was to replace a rear engine/transmission mount that they say was causing reverberation. I was skeptical but it seems to have been solved.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent news. I drove a C280 (your C300) of a friends & it was smooth as silk.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
I have has my car back for about a week now. I have not had any problems so far. The last repair they did was to replace a rear engine/transmission mount that they say was causing reverberation. I was skeptical but it seems to have been solved.
Great!! Man, I really wish I knew if we had the same problem or not. Your problem seems a lot worse. My engine is smooth at idle, but once I press the gas, the engine feels rough at low RPMs, but smooths out at about 2200 rpm. I also can feel the "grittiness" when coasting at speed through the gas pedal. Your problem was intermittent, mine is all the time, and worse when the engines cold.

I will have to take my car in again
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

THANKS! I am taking my car in tomorrow...aiiii. Hope this will give them an idea where the problems come from. Yes, my problem is all the time and it is worse when the engine is cold. It sounds and feels like a truck...very un-Mercedes like...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
THANKS! I am taking my car in tomorrow...aiiii. Hope this will give them an idea where the problems come from. Yes, my problem is all the time and it is worse when the engine is cold. It sounds and feels like a truck...very un-Mercedes like...
Cool...let us know what ends up happening
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 AM

C350 Sport 4M
My car used to shake while idling... turns out it was a loose engine mount...
Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Almost a Member!

I got the car back today...they said they didn't find any issues with the rough idling and the "rumbling" noise from the engine when the car is running at it highest geat at 1500 rpm.

BUT when I took the car back and start driving the car, I felt immediate differences. The car now feels a lot smoother and quieter when the car is running at it highest gear at 1500rrpm...NO MORE rumbling noise. Also, the transmission shifts so smooth now that I could even barely feels it. Most importantly, the engine idles a lot smoother...very little "feedback" to the steering wheel.

I suspected that there was a software update for the engine management system?? They updated it but they did NOT want to disclose to me for whatever reasons and just told me that NO issues were found??

In addition, they updated the software for the BLUETOOTH as i complained that the other sides couldn't hear me due to too much feedback. The problem seems to be fix as I made a few phone calls today and nobody complained that they can't hear me anymore.

Johf
2008 C 300 4 MATIC Luxury
Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Congratulations. You must be relieved. I don't understand why the service dept can't come clean with you about what they did. I would contact the service manager or the principal & insist on some feedback. They owe it to you for your trouble. It would be interesting to forum members also!!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
I got the car back today...they said they didn't find any issues with the rough idling and the "rumbling" noise from the engine when the car is running at it highest geat at 1500 rpm.

BUT when I took the car back and start driving the car, I felt immediate differences. The car now feels a lot smoother and quieter when the car is running at it highest gear at 1500rrpm...NO MORE rumbling noise. Also, the transmission shifts so smooth now that I could even barely feels it. Most importantly, the engine idles a lot smoother...very little "feedback" to the steering wheel.

I suspected that there was a software update for the engine management system?? They updated it but they did NOT want to disclose to me for whatever reasons and just told me that NO issues were found??

In addition, they updated the software for the BLUETOOTH as i complained that the other sides couldn't hear me due to too much feedback. The problem seems to be fix as I made a few phone calls today and nobody complained that they can't hear me anymore.

Johf
Interesting...it would be REALLY good to know what they did though!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator

Johf
I'm delighted for you. I would phone the Service Manager & demand to know what they did. They obviously did something which they will have charged MBUSA for. It might not even have been a software update. It might just be getting the software loaded correctly. There have been endless 7G tronic software updates but I'm not aware of any engine software updates for the W204. That engine has been around a while & is pretty sorted.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-04-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Almost a Member!

THANKS!! Yes, I am delighted too that the engine idles and runs a lot smoother and quieter. It is still not as quiet and smooth as the 2.5L engine. I was told that all three engines (2.5L, 3.0L, 3.5L) have different "noise" characteristic. The 2.5L engine idles and runs the smoothest and quietest, in comparison to the 3.0L and 3.5L engines. The 3.0L engine is the "noisiest", as I was told

Anyway, I am very happy now that the issue is resolved. Yes, I suspect that they may just simply got the software loaded correctly for both the engine and the transmission. Anyway, no more complains from me, as there are no more issues with the car. This is a very good car indeed and I enjoy driving it every seconds when I am behind the wheel.

By the way, I live in Vancouver, CANADA.

Johf
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
THANKS!! Yes, I am delighted too that the engine idles and runs a lot smoother and quieter. It is still not as quiet and smooth as the 2.5L engine. I was told that all three engines (2.5L, 3.0L, 3.5L) have different "noise" characteristic. The 2.5L engine idles and runs the smoothest and quietest, in comparison to the 3.0L and 3.5L engines. The 3.0L engine is the "noisiest", as I was told

Anyway, I am very happy now that the issue is resolved. Yes, I suspect that they may just simply got the software loaded correctly for both the engine and the transmission. Anyway, no more complains from me, as there are no more issues with the car. This is a very good car indeed and I enjoy driving it every seconds when I am behind the wheel.

Johf

Glad to hear you are, once again, a happy MB owner, but hate to hear the 3.0 is the noisiest of the bunch!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Johf
Wonderful Canada - I'm biased. My late Dad was Canadian. I'm not going to accept MBUSA or the dealers comment on the 3 litre. My 2.6 V6 18 valve engine is beautifully smooth & these engines have a balance shaft. The larger capacity engines obviously have greater reciprocating mass so one would expect the 3.5 to be the worst of the bunch. I'm going to chat to my service manager who has a long history with Benz & is a fanatic on top of his job for comment. I would not accept the 3 litre claims as gospel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gritty feeling engine!