C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Gritty feeling engine!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Wonderful Canada - I'm biased. My late Dad was Canadian. I'm not going to accept MBUSA or the dealers comment on the 3 litre. My 2.6 V6 18 valve engine is beautifully smooth & these engines have a balance shaft. The larger capacity engines obviously have greater reciprocating mass so one would expect the 3.5 to be the worst of the bunch. I'm going to chat to my service manager who has a long history with Benz & is a fanatic on top of his job for comment. I would not accept the 3 litre claims as gospel.
Yes, my previous C 240 with the M112 engine (2.6L) runs so smooth and quiet that it really feels like an engine made from Mercedes. But it was just short on power.

I think the 3.5L is the worst of the bunch. I still think that the 90 degree V6engine block is the wrong direction for Mercedes to follow, just because of cost reduction having to assemble in the same assembly line with the V8 engine block. BAD IDEA! The in-line six was super smooth and quiet! Really missed it!!

Johf
2008 C 300 4 MATIC Luxury
Old 02-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by johff
Yes, my previous C 240 with the M112 engine (2.6L) runs so smooth and quiet that it really feels like an engine made from Mercedes. But it was just short on power.

I think the 3.5L is the worst of the bunch. I still think that the 90 degree V6engine block is the wrong direction for Mercedes to follow, just because of cost reduction having to assemble in the same assembly line with the V8 engine block. BAD IDEA! The in-line six was super smooth and quiet! Really missed it!!

Johf
2008 C 300 4 MATIC Luxury
I hear you all round. I'm at coast with my 2.6 so it's adequate - but they are so unstressed that they last forever. I'm tracking 2 cars at the moment. One C at 700,000 Kms with no major repair & an E240 at our office that does airport taxi service at 557,000 kms with no problems & running just fine.

You may be interested in some of my postings in the thread below regarding engine balance, vibration & resonance. Watch the crank pulley on your engine. They have been known to give trouble.

The old 280 E Twincam 6 was a gem!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...iscussion.html

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-05-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks, Glyn, for the link...
I sold my C 240 to my sister and she is driving it now. The engine has about 165,000 km on it. The only problem with the engine is that it is consuming oil for whatever reasons. We have been following the oil change instruction by follwoing the trip computer system and use only susthetic oil.

I do not think the 90 degree V6 engine was designed for dual overhead camshafts. I believe the design of the 90 degree V6 engine block was originally only designed for single overhead camshaft. The dual camshafts may be the reason for the inherent noises and vibrations.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Oil consumption is not an issue generally with these engines. In fairness both the cars I'm watching ran their mileage quickly. Could be something simple like valve stem seals gone hard. If you run down a hill on trailing throttle & then accelerate hard, does it give a puff of smoke? If so it's valve stem seals.

You could be correct re cams - but damping cam resonance is a well known science today so no excuses.

My car has only done 49,000 Kms - but long term I have my eye on a new W204 350 Elegance once they are in mature production. I never buy a model in it's first few years - I'm old school I guess. I have such a good car I'm worried the next time round I might not be so fortunate. All that's ever been done is a 5 cent washer on the gearbox plug because we had an oil weep & castor bushes. Not because they had failed, but because they are known to fail & my service manager wanted to get redesigned ones on the car before the service plan ran out. Otherwise the car has been faultless.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 02-06-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I have found that valve stem seal wear shows up with a puff of blue smoke at start up.

I am not so sure with a modern fuel injected engine but the older carburetted engines which blew smoke after a trailing throttle down a hill had worn piston rings. ie the high manifold ( butterfly shut) vacuum above the piston drew up the sump oil & mist through the worn rings.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

Modern vehicles more likely to suck it down the valve stems/guides. Continuous smoke, especially under load, = worn or broken rings
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Originally Posted by CarGuru
My car has the rough feel & throaty exhaust when started cold in the morning before the motor goes into closed loop too. It only last for about a minute and then settles and smooths out. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I think it's something you will find on almost all newer (powerful) cars.
-Ryan
Correct desription as I experienced it, now my new problem noticed:

At 20 000KM 1st service they changed the L5 sensor, relating to a complaint about rarely cranking but not firing up the engine, and error messages related to this.

They the upgraded the SW & changed oil.

Getting home I noticed engine felt more roughly after startup.

After 3 000Km i noticed the sounds of exhaust as on warmup 1st minute, becomes throughty, sounds like compressor kicks in or valve in exhaust opens and closes, revs go up & down a bit, then steady, and then it starts again, now this all happens when egine is hot after at least 50KM drive.

It never did this before, and was smooth after warmup[1min].

What could cause this ?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
Since the day I got it, it alway started up rough from a cold start, not even a minutre the air pump kicks in it smooth out then idel drops to about 600, right around there. I have been told other MB owners that the cold start rumbling is normal.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM

2012 C300 4Matic Sport
Ive posted about this before, but it seems as of late, my engine has been getting more gritty feeling. Thats the best way I can explain it. It was whisper smooth when the car was new, but now it seems like when I'm accelerating, I can FEEL the engine. Slight vibrations through the gas pedal and steering wheel.
I also can feel the "grittiness" when coasting at speed through the gas pedal.
My apologies for reviving such an old thread, but this issue applies to the CPO'd 2009 4matic that I picked up a few weeks ago. Has anyone else dealt with this or have knowledge pertaining to this?

I don't notice any odd engine noises per se, but I feel an almost "gritty" feeling through the gas pedal and steering wheel, particularly at lower speeds when coasting during city driving. I haven't noticed the problem at highway speeds.

To provide context, the feeling actually made me check whether my emergency brake was slightly engaged. I haven't noticed excessive brake wear or anything and I don't believe the brakes to be the culprit -- but that's the "feeling" I get through the pedal and steering wheel. FWIW I'm only getting about 15.8mpg, though I'm doing >80% stop/go city driving the last few weeks.

This thread discusses a transmission mount; any other thoughts? I'll likely be visiting the dealer next week to have it checked out.