C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Originally Posted by woedee
I hope that there is an MM/map update that enables tmc ifor u.s. specc systems. I dont understand why this isnt enabled at this point.
Check this thread out..
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-oem-navi.html

So with US map and region set to ECE, he had a non-function tmc in navi menu..
Maybe the problem is more hardware related than just MB update the software and enable tmc for US navi..
Perhaps the tmc receiver in the current command unit is not compatibile w/ US tmc frequency?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205 - Black
I believe that the hardware is there (afaik traffic data in the US is transmitted via RDS - which is how we get radio station data currently); therefore not sure why mbusa decided to opt out w204s form getting traffic data, when other mb's in the US have it enabled.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by rob13572468
Guys, we have been retrofitting the UCI kit for 6 months now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fmcf25CV0E

note the date on the video. Option 518 is the UCI kit which is the same as what comes in the new 2009 ML/GL/R/E/CLS/SL. The C can have this added provided:

1. it is a MM unit (non MM units only work with the more expensive UMI)

2. The command has the latest telematics update which provides UCI support

3. The command is SCN coded to have UCI turned on in the audio menu

4. You need the parts: The UCI module, fiber cable, power connector with 12v/gnd/wakeup, breakout cable (the cable that sits between the UCI box and the glovebox) and finally the ipod pigtail.

go on epc and look at the 2009 ML/GL/R for the part numbers.

If you guys are interested in a UCI plug-and-play kit let me know and Ill get you guys a group buy price...
Does anyone with access to EPC have the part numbers for the parts listed in the post above?
Old 05-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Bought my car back to dealer for instrument cluster display update..
My instrument cluster now has an option called Navi and it can display compass, street name, and directions now..

Pic01 - center speaker that came with UMI kit, better quality than stock Tele-Aid speaker (same as MM logic 7 center speaker)
part number A204 820 23 02
Pic02 - on the left is the stock Tele-Aid center speaker, on the right is the dual-mode speaker w/ 2 connectors for UMI & Tele-Aid
dual mode center speaker part number A204 820 28 02
Pic03 - what needed to be removed for UMI retroffit, instrument cluster also needed to be removed to install GPS antena under dash
Pic04 - navigation direction on instrument cluster
Pic05 - compass and street name when no destination is choosed
Pic06 - instrument cluster shows which lane you should take

I don't know if navigation from MM package also can display directions on instrument cluster..
If it can't, then I think w/ this feature and live traffic update, UMI would actually has superior navigation system..
(only draw back for UMI navigation is the lack of POI name search..)
Attached Thumbnails UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED-umi_01.jpg   UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED-umi_02.jpg   UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED-umi_03.jpg   UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED-umi_04.jpg   UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED-umi_05.jpg  

UNIVERSAL MEDIA INTERFACE INSTALLED-umi_06.jpg  

Last edited by justthinking; 05-13-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
The glovebox must also come down so not everything in your pic is removed

Its pure pain to refit the HU after all the cables are installed..
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by justthinking

I don't know if navigation from MM package also can display directions on instrument cluster..
If it can't, then I think w/ this feature and live traffic update, UMI would actually has superior navigation system..
(only draw back for UMI navigation is the lack of POI name search..)
The UMI speaker photo was interesting, showing the dual coil approach. Explains why it allows the different combinations of Tele-Aid, UMI and Sound system but not all at one time.

Comand as such would not lack anything the UMI would support, TMC dynamic traffic info has been available in Europe since W204 was introduced, I'm expecting it to appear in the US too with a later Navi update (although very strange that it did not come from day one and never know if that explains the higher cost of UMI in the US, in absolute terms but specifically relative to Comand).

I cannot look at the Youtube videos from my current location without setting a VPN connection, perhaps my question would be already answered but: does UMI also show the "moving map" on the display like Comand does? I'm referring to the Audio 50 APS that only shows fixed maps at turns and no map while driving straight. I've understood that UMI would be just like Comand in this respect, you can zoom the route map and look ahead the route if you wish? Or browse the map to find a destination.

Personally I don't consider lack of POI data any issue but the voice control from Comand and DVD video are more important features. UMI still remaining a very attractive option, specifically with the UK prices (Continental Europe sells these at above €1000 but the UK device should be exactly the same).

Edited: had a look at the video now but it was about UCI, not UMI.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 05-14-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:28 PM

What is TA Volume inside engineering menu??

Does anyone know what does TA Volume adjust?? I have Audio 20 and can't figure out what this option is inside engineering menu..

Tele-Aid?? Traffic Anoucement??
Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does anyone know what does TA Volume adjust?? I have Audio 20 and can't figure out what this option is inside engineering menu..

Tele-Aid?? Traffic Anoucement??
At least in Europe we have an option for traffic announcements through FM radio. It must be the audio level setting for these announcements (could be relative to the current audio level for the radio).

Edited: just looked at the manual, the audio level for traffic announcements can be adjusted by the driver too, but one would have to do it during announcements, just like adjusting navigation audio level.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 05-14-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The UMI speaker photo was interesting, showing the dual coil approach. Explains why it allows the different combinations of Tele-Aid, UMI and Sound system but not all at one time.

Comand as such would not lack anything the UMI would support, TMC dynamic traffic info has been available in Europe since W204 was introduced, I'm expecting it to appear in the US too with a later Navi update (although very strange that it did not come from day one and never know if that explains the higher cost of UMI in the US, in absolute terms but specifically relative to Comand).

I cannot look at the Youtube videos from my current location without setting a VPN connection, perhaps my question would be already answered but: does UMI also show the "moving map" on the display like Comand does? I'm referring to the Audio 50 APS that only shows fixed maps at turns and no map while driving straight. I've understood that UMI would be just like Comand in this respect, you can zoom the route map and look ahead the route if you wish? Or browse the map to find a destination.

Personally I don't consider lack of POI data any issue but the voice control from Comand and DVD video are more important features. UMI still remaining a very attractive option, specifically with the UK prices (Continental Europe sells these at above €1000 but the UK device should be exactly the same).

Edited: had a look at the video now but it was about UCI, not UMI.
I would think the same dual-mode speaker is used for system with aps50+tele aid and command+tele aid

Yes, navigation for UMI is moving map style w/ 3d bird-eye view as well as 2d map mode, the only difference I believe is the POI name entry feature

I think the biggest issue for command or aps50 is the inability to display/control ipod info on the main display and the other issue is US version of command/MM lacks real time traffic update..(UMI has both)

It's nice to have voice control and bigger screen to watch DVD, but I still like the iPod control and real time traffic update better...if MBUSA offered UMI w/ HK Logic 7 upgrade, it would be really nice..
Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM

w205 - Black
I would think the same dual-mode speaker is used for system with aps50+tele aid and command+tele aid

Yes, navigation for UMI is moving map style w/ 3d bird-eye view as well as 2d map mode, the only difference I believe is the POI name entry feature

I think the biggest issue for command or aps50 is the inability to display/control ipod info on the main display and the other issue is US version of command/MM lacks real time traffic update..(UMI has both)

It's nice to have voice control and bigger screen to watch DVD, but I still like the iPod control and real time traffic update better...if MBUSA offered UMI w/ HK Logic 7 upgrade, it would be really nice..

+1!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
An issue for UMI is how does one update the maps? - I was observing a UK thread where this was being discussed and it did not look good for map updates, where as the Comand has the DVD updates which are easy to accomplish.

Voice Comand is pretty sweet though!

Comand does the same thing on the IC (directions, etc), but you are correct about the IPOD.

I agree with DB about the traffic updates, however, between my Sirius, Local AM and FM traffic updates, and Sprint - I get all the traffic updates I need. Now if I could get INMARSAT's global phone to interact with my car, I would really like that.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM

I was told instead of update DVD, updates for UMI will come in the form of USB thumb drive
Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
I was told instead of update DVD, updates for UMI will come in the form of USB thumb drive
justthinking; I have heard that too, but one issue with that is that it would not be large enough to perform a NAV update? Has anyone heard of anyone updating the UMI maps?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:42 PM

MB W204, VW Polo, Audi R8 V10 - SOLD.
Originally Posted by Nuru
justthinking; I have heard that too, but one issue with that is that it would not be large enough to perform a NAV update? Has anyone heard of anyone updating the UMI maps?
You can get thumb drives that are large enough (bigger than DVD capacity) so why would that be an issue? (Noob question).
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Does anybody know if the UMI kit also includes the cable which will charge an Ipod / Iphone ? I am getting this installed next weekend and I currently have the Ipod integration kit but I have the white cable in the glove box so my Iphone does not charge when it is hooked up.

Thanks !

Nick
Old 07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
You can get thumb drives that are large enough (bigger than DVD capacity) so why would that be an issue? (Noob question).
I believe the issue is not "how to update it" but to find an update. Seems like so far there has been only a minor update, likely for the SW because of the small size of the update file.

Perhaps they did not build any copy protection to the update, making it too easy to distribute the content via internet (the map DVD at least asks for a proper DL media and some effort to copy it properly). Even the DVD is a bit of a joke with a HD navi device when the same disk can be used to update several cars (making the honest owners pay for those who use copies).
Old 07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I want to know if the iPod/iPhone interface will play the videos through the display? That would sell me on it.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I believe the issue is not "how to update it" but to find an update. Seems like so far there has been only a minor update, likely for the SW because of the small size of the update file.

Perhaps they did not build any copy protection to the update, making it too easy to distribute the content via internet (the map DVD at least asks for a proper DL media and some effort to copy it properly). Even the DVD is a bit of a joke with a HD navi device when the same disk can be used to update several cars (making the honest owners pay for those who use copies).
Yep, DB is correct, that has been an ongoing question. yes there are thumb drives large enough to handle an update, however no one seems to know how to get a true update to the maps provided with UMI? I paid for my update, took me 2.5 hours to complete. I just turned the car on and let it rum. i did not have a clean enough power supply to power it through the time period. So I used the car, rather than using an external power supply.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mr Enigma
Mercedes not willing to quickly field an update?

I tried to buy a service manual for my car and was told they are still working on it by MBZ USA, a couple of months ago. I have not asked them again as of yet. But I would like to get one eventually.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 AM

Nuru, can you be more specific? What update did you get? Is it for UMI or for MM?
Where did you get the update from and how much does it cost?
If possible, maybe we can do a GB/share thing like some had for the MM Navi update DVD..
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S350 BT 4MATIC
Nuru, can you be more specific? What update did you get? Is it for UMI or for MM?
Where did you get the update from and how much does it cost?
If possible, maybe we can do a GB/share thing like some had for the MM Navi update DVD..
Justthinking, Actually, I was probably not clear, i was just indicating to DB, that I paid for my update outright, I am speaking of the DVD update for a COMAND with NAV not a UMI. I do not have UMI in my car.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM

c220
hi 356SC!

please HEEEEELP!
I do all the unmounting, with mb tools it's easy...
but I'm blocked, when I try to put the cables behind the audio 20, the big connector take too much place and there is no enough place , I tryed 2 hours, and I hope I don't cracked a cable, because I move the original car connector all the directions but no solution to put correctly the umi cable with 2 big connectors.

please could you explain how you put it , I thnik you don't have photos of this but could you do a picture please,
I regret to begin this work, and unmount all ... I'm desperate..
Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM

w204
I know it has been awhile since the last post but I had a few questions / statements that maybe someone can help with.

I just moved to Stuttgart Germany from Norfolk Virginia and brought with me my 2010 w204. I wanted to get the Navi +4 / UMI / Navi 20 installed so I talked to the Stuttgart Mercedes-Benz shop at the Mercedes-Benz Museum. I figured they would be the experts right? Well no, they told me they will not retrofit anything to a US Merc as their systems only support those made for Germany. WTF? I thought a Merc is a Merc and just because one was made for a different country, that the systems should still talk to each other.

Anyway, they said it's possible to install the Euro Navi 20 in my car but they can't for sure say it will work and then if it does they can't tell me if I can load US maps on it when I move back to the states. (they also cant program the 2012 tail lights to work on my car but that's a different issue).

So I want to know what the US part number is so I can maybe have it installed by a local shop here (even if the maps wont work) as my wife and I are dying to have blue tooth functionality with our iphones and at least in a few years my maps should work...

I have the basic Audio 20 in my car
Old 08-10-2017, 02:01 PM

2006 E350
I couldn't find the answers I'm looking for in here...

MY 2010 C300
Audio 20 (small screen)
Sirius
iPod cable and an aux port in the glovebox
No Nav

I don't have any of the option codes listed in the thread so I assume a previous owner installed the iPod/Aux. I found a black plastic box tucked away and it looks like it is the "iPod Integration Kit".

I need to replace the iPod cable and it looks like the price isn't too far off from an entire UMI setup...

What are my options:
  • Can I get a UMI and which one?
  • Can I get a nav module and which one?
  • Does anyone know how to add on or tap into the video input of the small screen?