C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 with touchscreen?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 W204
And you got a cheap chrome insert for back up camera instead of OEM black plastic!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by aowhaus
touchscreen navigation is the way to go, very easy and intuitive to use especially when driving.

The nav system on the Acura TL is probably the best in the industry. Typing your destination on the screen couldn't be more easier. I've tried the nav system on the BMW and Audi and cycling through the various functions and the alphabet on a knob is really frustrating.

I think the screen on the W204 is positioned too high for a touch screen. Somewhere within easy reach from the shifter is ideal.
After driving an 05 TL for 4 years, I find the nav in my C to be far inferior. The low contrasting graphics, lack of street names, having to make choice between displaying the current street OR distance and time to destination, and lack of touch-screen are all minuses in my book. Having to scroll thru multiple screens and menus to make simple changes or settings is frustrating. On the TL system, everything was very intuitive and simple to operate. I don't even think i read thru the Nav manual on the TL more than once, while I've been thru the C Comand manual several times since I picked up my car last week and still end up following the wrong menu path. I guess it will come in time...
Thankfully the voice command feature helps, although of course you have to know the exact phrase to use.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:56 AM

white c300 sport 4matic
nice lol, and this music is soo good SNSD!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 AM

C300 4matic Sport, CBR 954
Originally Posted by flagman
After driving an 05 TL for 4 years, I find the nav in my C to be far inferior. The low contrasting graphics, lack of street names, having to make choice between displaying the current street OR distance and time to destination, and lack of touch-screen are all minuses in my book. Having to scroll thru multiple screens and menus to make simple changes or settings is frustrating. On the TL system, everything was very intuitive and simple to operate. I don't even think i read thru the Nav manual on the TL more than once, while I've been thru the C Comand manual several times since I picked up my car last week and still end up following the wrong menu path. I guess it will come in time...
Thankfully the voice command feature helps, although of course you have to know the exact phrase to use.
hate to ask bro but if u dislike it that much then why did u buy the car and keep ur TL?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY
hate to ask bro but if u dislike it that much then why did u buy the car and keep ur TL?
I'm refering specifically to the Nav system, not the vehicle. Nav is only one of many factors in liking or disliking a vehicle. I just think MB could do a much better job on the Nav.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM

I'm refering specifically to the Nav system, not the vehicle. Nav is only one of many factors in liking or disliking a vehicle. I just think MB could do a much better job on the Nav.
thats true they could but trust me on this, compared to alot of other nav systems mercedes is a pretty good, simple system they got in that c300/350's, ive driven almost every type of car and i can tell u that its one of the better ones.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Obviously you have your opinion and what I say won't change it - but from my own personal experience, the C nav is inferior to the Acura, Mazda and Infiniti systems I've seen and used.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM

2009 C300S 6mt
maybe you guys can list the pros/cons of why you like the C nav (or other nav systems)?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Obviously you have your opinion and what I say won't change it - but from my own personal experience, the C nav is inferior to the Acura, Mazda and Infiniti systems I've seen and used.
unless there all touch screen i dont really see how "inferior" it can really be unless ur talking about poi's the nav system has vs the others. dont get me wrong im not saying its the best out there, in fact i think the best one out this is on the lex but again like i said compared the bmw or the range or land rover as well as a few others ive used its not that bad either.

Last edited by CrAZyVeGAsBoY; 04-06-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
I love the W204 Navi. It works great, looks great and impresses everyone. I got no regrets for getting it. Sure touchscreen would be a plus, but then again not really cause I'm not a fan of fingerprints everywhere.

p.s. I have not once even read the manual. It was so easy to operate with the well shown menu's and all.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:56 PM

2009 C300 4Matic Sport P2/MM/Steel Gray
id like to know where to get the camera parts,
Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by cbcharlie
id like to know where to get the camera parts,
That frame (around the camera) look chrome, compared to our matte black finish. I guess thats the OEM camera. Where did you get that photo
Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 PM

2009 C300 4Matic Sport P2/MM/Steel Gray
Originally Posted by micropower99
That frame (around the camera) look chrome, compared to our matte black finish. I guess thats the OEM camera. Where did you get that photo
I got the photo from http://cafe.daum.net/motomo/5S79/411
Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by kaku
maybe you guys can list the pros/cons of why you like the C nav (or other nav systems)?
I already did list some in my original post, but see more below. And yes, CrazyVegasBoy, the 04-08 TL and 08 Mazda Nav's are touch screen, can't recall about the Infiniti. Bear in mind when I'm speaking about these systems, I'm referring to the versions I've used - 05 TL and 08 CX-7. The new 09 TL Nav is no longer touchscreen and the software is probably different.

The fingerprint issue is really a minor one. It's all about the usability - the touch screen system allows much easier and quicker access to the various functions and settings. Although the TL Nav had a joystick-like control knob, I don't think I used it more than 5 times in 4 years. All settings and adjustments were easily done via a combination of the touch screen and the 6 buttons sourrounding the screen.

All this aside, it's not the touchscreen that makes these other systems better in my book. The graphics are better - more detail in the maps, better colour contrast, more and larger street names, better upcoming manouever directions on screen, the ability to display the current street, time to destination and distance to destination all at the same time. Also, the system was way more customizable. Colours, voice gender, single-screen vs. split-screen, etc. There was access to info. on the software and firmware version, the number of satellites currently being tracked (amazingly usually 5 or 6), stuff like that.

I don't want to come across as totally negative on the C Nav system - there are some things it does better than the Acura - for example ability to program the destination with voice input. But as an overall package, considering I'm comparing to a system from 4+ years ago, I expected better...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 AM

C200 Kompresssor
Originally Posted by shimmers
There are many aftermarket shops in Korea that do this. What they do is add a very thin tough panel screen on top of the existing LCD and that connects to a Navigation Module to allow the touch functionality. They do this on pretty much all cars including the new and old Comand systems, BMW, Audi, etc. There is also a RGB interface that is installed to the Comand to get clear video from the Navigation Moduel, which typically also includes DMB (Digital Mobile Broadcasting or simply Digital Satellite TV), Video's, MP3's etc. The touch feature only works with functions that come from the Navigation Unit while the existing Comand functions work from the dial or Comand buttons.

Typical cost to install this in Korea on Comand is about US$1,000, which is a pretty good deal since you get Korean Navigation (Mercedes does not have Korean navigation map yet), DMB for TV, video/mp3 capabilities, and also Vehicle In Motion capabilities.

I have a C63 and have had this done and am quite happy with it. What's even better is that the Navigation module that was installed in my car has an interface for iPod so that I control my iPod via the touch screen, which shows the album pictures, etc. just like the iPod screen.

Hope that helps!

How to and where to buy this?
Their website is all korean ... idiots.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM
lug

C320 CDI 4matic Brabus D6(III), Black.(SOLD). Current - EQE 350 W295
This being my first car with in-built NAV (COMAND) system I cannot compare with any other. Overall I am very happy with it but nevertheless there are some functions which in my view are missing or could be improved (apart from touchscreen capability);

1 - Ability to customise backgrounds, colour themes, voice etc...
2 - Playlists.
3 - Surround MP3!!! The hardware is there all we need is a software update.
4 - The ridiculous file/folder limit on memory card needs to be removed/upgraded.
5 - Better use of screen when displaying long file names.

Who knows maybe someone will come up with system hacks for the above. I'm really excited with this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rive-hack.html as it could prove to be the start of something really interesting.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM

c300
Originally Posted by hazee
dude... c'mon, seriously?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by hazee
How to and where to buy this?
And I guess you are expecting the Korean guys to let you know where to get this after you make that remark ?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 AM

C200 Kompresssor
Originally Posted by 2nice4me
And I guess you are expecting the Korean guys to let you know where to get this after you make that remark ?

They should, as far as they are willing to earn