C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My C350 feel like it body woobles at 83 mph on freeway I turn a little lef& fast righ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
My C350 feel like it body woobles at 83 mph on freeway I turn a little lef& fast righ

Im wondering who can answer my question. Last week a car almost hit an s500 at around 80 on freeway. He tuned into my lane without seeing me i turned the car left to the shoulder almost hit the shoulder divider. As i turned very minimal the wheel left my car turned alot left then i turned right to not hit the divider wall. The turns were fast right jerk and a fast left jerk . I did notice the body of mycar wooble feel very loose the suspension. I guess this is normal when u jerk it right then a fast jerk left on the steering wheel the car woobles or the body feel like it rolls at around 80 mph. The thing I wanna know is it because the steering is so fast you just turn the car a bit it turns all the way. Or is this normal if you turn the steering left fast and then right again the cars body feel like it roles. WHo can explain this to me. Is it normal for this to happen. I thought the suspension on theses cars was very stiff and didn't let them wooble the body when you turn it left and right . Try it you will understand what i mean turn it left to get out of your lane just a bit then turn fast right to straighten the car.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I think at 80mph jerking the wheel right and left, it would be normal for a car like the C350 to have body roll. Some less capable cars might have already lost control and crashed.

If I remember correctly, the US W204 has a dual-damping mode suspension? When the steering was first jerked at 80mph traveling on the freeway, the suspension was probably on the softer mode so thus the feel of body roll? I am sure all the onboard electronics were monitoring and adjusting the car to keep it under control.

Glad you are safe from the incident. Enjoy your Mercedes.

With best regards,
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
The steering is VERY fast and light in the W204....I don't know what you mean about "wobble" though....meaning the car leaned?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 PM

S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160
Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Im wondering who can answer my question. Last week a car almost hit an s500 at around 80 on freeway. He tuned into my lane without seeing me i turned the car left to the shoulder almost hit the shoulder divider. As i turned very minimal the wheel left my car turned alot left then i turned right to not hit the divider wall. The turns were fast right jerk and a fast left jerk . I did notice the body of mycar wooble feel very loose the suspension. I guess this is normal when u jerk it right then a fast jerk left on the steering wheel the car woobles or the body feel like it rolls at around 80 mph. The thing I wanna know is it because the steering is so fast you just turn the car a bit it turns all the way. Or is this normal if you turn the steering left fast and then right again the cars body feel like it roles. WHo can explain this to me. Is it normal for this to happen. I thought the suspension on theses cars was very stiff and didn't let them wooble the body when you turn it left and right . Try it you will understand what i mean turn it left to get out of your lane just a bit then turn fast right to straighten the car.
No sh*t. My car loses grip when I try a U-turn at 80mph, who would've thought that?

No really, it's normal at higher speeds for instability to occur (when jerking the wheel)
Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Woob

Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Woobles? Hahaha.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Interestingly enough, better built cars with great handling tend to be the kind that you do NOT frantically grip the steering wheel with white knuckles as you approach that magical X-over the speed limit.

I've driven all day long at speeds well over 100 mph (in Germany) in both an Opel, and in a Mercedes. Relax, hold the wheel without trying to squeeze it to death, and just be ready for that instantenous need to change direction that you hope will never come.

If you drive fast, you need to relax more. Is this a paradox?

I've also driven the other kind. The kind where you are constantly making immediate corrections and man-handling the wheel. Cars like the huge-engine Cobras that were never really intended to be driven, but were actually intended to be "show offs." Never say "never again," but man, be ready for a torture test behind those wheels.

One thing I really liked in the old '87 Accord was the variable power steering. Once you got to highway speeds it dropped off completely, but in a parking lot it was very easy to maneuver. On the first long drive, mine dumped out all of its power steering fluid. I didn't notice until I stopped. When I called the dealer, they offered a tow truck, but I declined since once back up to speed, it was "normal."

The only time you make quick moves with the wheel at speed is when you want to be upside down. I've done that. I don't like it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
One thing I really liked in the old '87 Accord was the variable power steering.
Same here about Honda. One of the best lane-changing-machines I've ever driven was my 1993 Honda Prelude four-wheel-steering (4WS).

It is unreal that when turn the steering to change lane on freeway, the car doesn't 'turn' but 'slide sideway' to the next lane (all four wheels steer to the same direction in high speed.) Not a hint of body roll or directional change, just slide in and out of lanes like an ice skater.

With best regards,
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 AM

2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
I recently moved to Germany from the US and brought my C300 with me. I had to learn how to drive fast.... now I regularly cruise at 110-125mph on the autobahn and I found that you have to take slow, measured inputs with the steering wheel or you will go off the road with a quickness. I haven't noticed ANY wobbling in the vehicle at any speed up to 135mph... So I'm really unsure of what you're describing.

Please don't take this personally, but it sounds like you accidently overreacted. It's easy to do when you're surprised. Slow down!

Last edited by 08w204; 02-07-2009 at 05:11 AM.