C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 300
Really, the whole extractor vs drain plug issue is a question of which method ultimately removes more dirty oil, because neither removes ALL of the oil, so if that's someone's understanding then they, well, don't understand; as I've said, only pulling the pan will remove the most, but none of us will ever do that, so getting all hate filled over one way or the other is a waste of time.

I will always unscrew the drain plug (gee, I wonder why they call it that), whether or not I use an extractor. It's the way I was taught (I used to build 327s for a hobby, from the bare block up, so I know a bit about the basics). Extractors are ok, I've used one as I mentioned, but at one of those oil changes I will definitely unscrew the plug, in addition to using the extractor. If you really want to use the extractor to it's full advantage, you could run a short, curved tube into the pan from the bottom through the drain hole, and my guess (because I've never done this) is that this will pull virtually all of it, if that's a big consideration for anyone.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Distalero, is this your first MB? Because all modern MBs are enginered from the factory for oil extraction from the dipstick tube. And yes, people have tested it and found it takes more oil out using suction vs. drainplugs, ON A MERCEDES. Maybe your experience is with other makes that aren't specifically engineered to have the oil extracted from the top. So don't give new MB owners false info regarding oil changes for their MBs. Why do you think the filter is on top of the engine in an MB?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by norb
Distalero, is this your first MB? Because all modern MBs are enginered from the factory for oil extraction from the dipstick tube. And yes, people have tested it and found it takes more oil out using suction vs. drainplugs, ON A MERCEDES. Maybe your experience is with other makes that aren't specifically engineered to have the oil extracted from the top. So don't give new MB owners false info regarding oil changes for their MBs. Why do you think the filter is on top of the engine in an MB?
Thank you for bringing some sense to this discussion.

Distalero, I still don't understand why you would also remove the plug? Nothing is going to come out. There is no question about which removes more "dirty" oil, as the tube sucks the oil from the very bottom of the pan assuming you properly insert it. Removing the drain plug does not, as there is a bit of space between it and the bottom of the pan. So once again, using the suction method gets more of the oil out and does a better job ON A MERCEDES due to design. On a different vehicle depending on the oil pan design you could run into issues using the suction method, obviously it's something you would have to look into. With these cars it's already been looked into and the facts stand.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
One point that hasn't been mentioned that I had a problem with is getting the correct oil filter cap removal tool.

You're best bet is to be parked outside of the parts house and try several different ones until you find the right one.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
If you're going to drain it make sure the dip-stik and / or filler cap are off before you drain other wise could get a vacuum and will take a lot longer and/or all oil may not come out.

By US law the warranty will be effective as long as you use the correct type (synthetic) and weight spec'd. Brand does not matter as all are top brands pretty equal and will take even the most extreme duty use.

It is illegal to void a warranty because did not use OE oil.

Either method is fine - after all these are mass production engines that will be serviced in both the Manhattan dealer to the one man shop in Lagos.

Last edited by whiteongrey; 02-16-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM

C350
Originally Posted by Distalero
Really, the whole extractor vs drain plug issue is a question of which method ultimately removes more dirty oil, because neither removes ALL of the oil, so if that's someone's understanding then they, well, don't understand; as I've said, only pulling the pan will remove the most, but none of us will ever do that, so getting all hate filled over one way or the other is a waste of time.

I will always unscrew the drain plug (gee, I wonder why they call it that), whether or not I use an extractor. It's the way I was taught (I used to build 327s for a hobby, from the bare block up, so I know a bit about the basics). Extractors are ok, I've used one as I mentioned, but at one of those oil changes I will definitely unscrew the plug, in addition to using the extractor. If you really want to use the extractor to it's full advantage, you could run a short, curved tube into the pan from the bottom through the drain hole, and my guess (because I've never done this) is that this will pull virtually all of it, if that's a big consideration for anyone.
Distalero - as a hobby, I've also dropped quite a few big engine blocks for complete rebuild in my younger days, but what does this has to do with the price of tea in China?

Curiously, just so that we're comparing apple to apple, as to your claim to have seen a quarter of a quart always poured out after extracting from top, was this with your current MB?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM

C 300

Yep, it is my first, and it looks like I may have learned a bit more from your response, but if there's a drain plug located in the pan, then I would stand by my comments. I haven't given anyone "false info regarding oil changes for their MB", my only actual advice in regard to advice was make sure you replace the crush washer if you choose to use the drain plug on any car that was manufactured with one. The other comment I made had to do with my experience with an extractor. I didn't say anyone else would absolutely see the same thing. A little critical reading is in order folks.

Where everybody is getting bent is my comment about extractors, or drain plugs, vs ALL the oil being removed. I didn't suggest everybody pull the pan as a routine part of an oil change, but that's what acr2001 seems to have read and then questioned my intelligence (I'm laughing as I write this; I think that's funny).

Apparently I walked into a longstanding debate, which suggests two things: the fact there's a debate means there's room for MORE than one viewpoint, and, we know which side I'm on, prior to buying a shop manual, assuming they actually offer a decent one to the public (I've already heard debate about this). Obviously, it you want to drain as much as possible, you'd do both: extract AND unscrew the plug.

I'm sure either method does fine for removing most of the oil, and any dealer or oil change station guy, or the home mechanic is only interested in that, ie getting rid of MOST, not ALL.

I'm heading over to the dealer soon anyhow, so I will take one of the guys who actually does the thing aside and see what he says about the intent of a routine oil change, and what he sees everyday, and where HE stands in this debate, which already sounds like it's really over nothing at all. You guys are also forcing me to go out and get under the car to see how it's set up. That concrete floor is cold, so I hate you, I hate you all

Last edited by Distalero; 02-16-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
"All" is a poweful word ....

We have a 2008 C300 Lux 4matic, and this Mercedes model was NOT engineered for vacuum oil extraction. The above comment by norb would be false info regaring changing oil on the same 4matic model as ours.

I have the mityvac 7201, that nearly removed all the oil in an Audi A4 2.8 V6. But, perhaps due to the MB 4matic transmission case, the tube could only be inserted deep enough to extract ~5.5Q of the 8Q capacity.

I still will use the handy Mityvac to "freshen up" the oil at the middle of the annual change duration. 60% of the crankcase oil will be new, and free of contamination and viscosity loss due to fuel dilution.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by kevink2
"All" is a poweful word ....

We have a 2008 C300 Lux 4matic, and this Mercedes model was NOT engineered for vacuum oil extraction. The above comment by norb would be false info regaring changing oil on the same 4matic model as ours.
I've seen an MB engine that does not have a dipstick, not even the dipstick tube. Obviously that engine needs to be drained when oil is changed.

But looking at WIS, the 204.081 car with the 272.948 engine is engineered for oil changes by siphoning. I admit that I have no experience about this model but I find it odd if the 4-Matic would affect the bottom part of the pan significantly, never know though.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I'm sorry I found this dumb thread. You people should read the W 203 forum & wake up.

- Only drain oil when hot
- Only put in new filter once oil is drained
- Always loosen oil filter housing cap before draining
- Only use Mann + Hummel MB genuine fleece filter (blown polyester) - also repackaged by K&N & Bosch
- Only siphon oil out of the engine
- Only fill new oil into the oil filler orifice once you have removed the cap
- Should you be dumb enough to remove the drain plug please replace the plug with a new one. Plugs use microencapsulation technology for proper seal & cannot be reused
- do not prime the filter housing - utterly unnecessary.
- Only use Approved for service products & for your engines that means 229.5 approved products for gasoline engines & NOT 229.51 which is for long drain diesel requirements with Max 0.8 ash & cars with cat & particulate filters.
- You don't only have to use Mobil 1 - read this. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght=definitive
- All modern Benz engines are designed for oil extraction - that includes diesel, CNG, stratified charge etc etc.
- You can never get all of the oil out of these engines by either drain method - at least half a quart remains - this is OK & design & servicing takes this into account

It also helps to read the owners manual - long version - not quick start.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-10-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Expanded explanation
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You people should read the W 203 forum & wake up.
Are you missing a chromosome? Why would w204 owners spend time reading w203 forums?

I find it hilarious that you say it like we're stupid for not reading the w203 forums, lol.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by mb_horseshoe
Are you missing a chromosome? Why would w204 owners spend time reading w203 forums?

I find it hilarious that you say it like we're stupid for not reading the w203 forums, lol.
+1
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mb_horseshoe

I know who is missing a chromosome. There are a lot of common components W203 to W204 - the Engines for one - so common sense would suggest that experience on the W203 forum could be tapped as a source of information due to it's comparative maturity concerning things Benz when compared to the fledgeling W204 forum.

Pray tell me - When, and I suppose IF, in this case - you use the search function - do you confine your search to the W204??? - If you do you don't begin to know the useful information you are missing.

Unfortunately people like you probably learned nothing from my post above or that of acr2001 - Our family, like FrankW's own both but both of us spend most of our time on the W203 forum - we don't choose to be part of the great uninformed!

OPTION - continue sticking your head in the sand which has caused the nonsense spoken on this thread or broaden your horizons & you would be amazed at the value you might extract from this board.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-10-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:54 AM

2008 C300 Sport
I know who is missing a chromosome. There are a lot of common components W203 to W204 - the Engines for one - so common sense would suggest that experience on the W203 forum could be tapped as a source of information due to it's comparative maturity concerning things Benz when compared to the fledgeling W204 forum.

Pray tell me - When, and I suppose IF, in this case - you use the search function - do you confine your search to the W204??? - If you do you don't begin to know the useful information you are missing.

Unfortunately people like you probably learned nothing from my post above or that of acr2001 - Our family, like FrankW's own both but both of us spend most of our time on the W203 forum - we don't choose to be part of the great uninformed!

OPTION - continue sticking your head in the sand which has caused the nonsense spoken on this thread or broaden your horizons & you would be amazed at the value you might extract from this board.
You stick your head into the w204 forum and bash a newbie for asking a simple oil change question with your "wake-up" remark and then follow that up with this ramble about the "plethora" of knowledge on the w203 forums.

My point was, and still is, that people who own w204's exclusively don't spend time on the w203 forum - and it's ridiculous for you to criticize anyone who doesn't.

Obviously, as an owner of both cars, I'm sure that both forums serve as great resource for you.

OPTION - spend less time on the forum, and spend more time enjoying your car (and your life).
Old 03-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent - So you never search for anything. I was a newbie a year ago & learned an awful lot using the search function. I also have a lot to offer for those who want it. It does not take 5 minutes to compile something like the Definitive oil thread. A simple search would have displayed it as the W203 stickys would have given a wealth of assistance on oil changes on the V6 engines. I don't like saying STFF to people - I prefer helping them.

I have a great life - go polish your W204 - I notice you and Rampage added no value to this thread.

'nuff said.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Again, are you missing a chromosome? I never once said I don't use the search. In fact, I always use the search function. I would also recommend to the OP that search would have been more appropriate than starting a new thread.

I believe that is better input than anything you've typed up on this thread. Even your original response only encourages people to start new threads rather than use the search function.

You have a lot to offer huh?

"I'm sorry I found this dumb thread"

"Wake-up"

Your arrogance out-weights any input you add to this forum.

Common sense would actually tell you that if you own a w204, you should search the w204 forum for information. Common sense would also tell you that using information that's out there for the w203 can be detrimental to your car.

Further, A SEARCH OF THIS FORUM would have yielded a plethora of information beyond the w203 and of WAY more value to w204 owners. Yet you continue to think that the w203 forum's oil sticky is somehow relevant here.

lol @ 'nuff said.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:37 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Excellent - So you never search for anything. I was a newbie a year ago & learned an awful lot using the search function. I also have a lot to offer for those who want it. It does not take 5 minutes to compile something like the Definitive oil thread. A simple search would have displayed it as the W203 stickys would have given a wealth of assistance on oil changes on the V6 engines. I don't like saying STFF to people - I prefer helping them.

I have a great life - go polish your W204 - I notice you and Rampage added no value to this thread.

'nuff said.

Again, why would anyone search the w203 forums for advice on changing oil on the w204? We've had plenty of those discussions here already.

Ruck, I have no hate for you brother - I'm just upset with the tone at which you came. You said it best, you were once a newbie, so give a newbie a break (the OP, that is )
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

I did not directly pick on the OP & if seen that way I regret it. Some of the tacky advice given along the way is what raised my ire.

The Definitive Oil rec thread I started relates to ALL Mercedes Benz passenger cars & is right up to date to last week including the latest directive from Benz on 229.5 vs 229.51 approvals for passenger car Motor oils. Those Requirements even apply to the AMG Black Series. That's why they are pertinent to the entire board.

That's their relevance to the W204 forum

I'm satisfied that my post ads value in it's technical entirety a few barbs excepted.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by SliverGray
This is the first time to do oil change myself on 2008 C300 4matic. I would like to ask a few questions before I do it.

1. Should engine temperature be cold or hot while I change engine oil?
2. Should I remove the old oil filter first and put new oil filter, and then drain old engine oil?
3. Should I use an electrical oil extractor or vacuum oil extractor?

Thank you for your helping.

1. not too cold not too hot = warm
2. It doesnt matter...you can do either one.
3. Vaccum oil exatractor is fine or you can drain the oil out from the plug...do whatever u comfortable with....please dont ask which way is better because everyone like to do their own way.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Sticky this thread, it's amazing!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry - best practice determines the hotter the better. Preferably full engine operating temperature.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I've seen an MB engine that does not have a dipstick, not even the dipstick tube. Obviously that engine needs to be drained when oil is changed.

But looking at WIS, the 204.081 car with the 272.948 engine is engineered for oil changes by siphoning. I admit that I have no experience about this model but I find it odd if the 4-Matic would affect the bottom part of the pan significantly, never know though.
Really? When MB decided to get rid of the dipstick tube, in the early 2000's, they still left an access port to siphon the oil out, usually towards the back of the engine with a green cap on it.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:45 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Tubeless?

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Which one has no tube?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

All Mercedes Benz Passenger car Engines including Diesels & others I mentioned above - from the A Class right up to & including the Maybach have an oil siphoning tube. Many including my C240 have no dipstick.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Seriously you guys have issues. Glyn provides nothing but an amazing service to the forums, always with correct info. He has thousands of posts more than some of you, and yet you second guess him and say he is wrong. You guys haven't got a clue, good luck with your cars considering your lack of any VALID knowledge.

The late model W203s have the SAME ENGINE. The oil thread is completely relevant to you as are many of the others. Get a clue.

Last edited by acr2001; 03-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change question