C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by acr2001
The late model W203s have the SAME ENGINE. The oil thread is completely relevant to you as are many of the others. Get a clue.
So, um, you've identified a software problem: We don't have threads cross-linked to different forums, nor do we have a forum for the specific engine.

It's natural to only search the part of the forum you're in.

All this talk about the W203 forum should make us curious, but in the long run, we'll probably focus on the W204 forum, 'cause that's where our cars are.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Sport
Seriously you guys have issues. Glyn provides nothing but an amazing service to the forums, always with correct info. He has thousands of posts more than some of you, and yet you second guess him and say he is wrong. You guys haven't got a clue, good luck with your cars considering your lack of any VALID knowledge.

The late model W203s have the SAME ENGINE. The oil thread is completely relevant to you as are many of the others. Get a clue.
No one said Glyn is providing incorrect information. I, myself agree with mb_horseshoe with; why go to W203 forum when we have W204.

Maybe you should re-read the post instead of instigating.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Who cares where you get the info as long as its correct.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
- All modern Benz engines are designed for oil extraction - that includes diesel, CNG, stratified charge etc etc.
I agree with your on the comments I've cut out. But I made the same comment as above when I probably had a few posts at the forum. Then someone came and insisted that his engine does not have a dipstick tube. I thought it would be one of those who don't find it from behind the the engine cover but it turned out that this engine did not have the tube, also EPC confirmed that.

Now I cannot remember which engine it was but if you browse through my previous posts (this and other forums), you can easily find the old thread.

The claim above is true probably for 99.9% of MB engines.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
How old was this engine? I'm talking about right now.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rampage1929
No one said Glyn is providing incorrect information. I, myself agree with mb_horseshoe with; why go to W203 forum when we have W204.

Maybe you should re-read the post instead of instigating.
You guys simply don't get it do you????? If I want to find out how the BiX yaw sensor works do you think I care which forum gives me the answer when I search - They are all the same out of the same parts bin. Find me any comment on the yaw sensor on the W204 forum. Your cars have one. But the forum is so new I guarantee it's never been discussed.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jstaneff
So, um, you've identified a software problem: We don't have threads cross-linked to different forums, .
You do - It's called the search facility.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Honestly Glyn, forget em, they don't deserve help, let them struggle to regain the information, atleast 75% of which is already available on the W203 forum.

I'm done with this thread. Glad I can go back to the W203 forum for intelligent posts and accurate information.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the support acr - we will leave the narrow minded little club to themselves. They have taught me a big fat ZERO about the W204 & I like to give but learn at the same time.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Thanks for the support acr - we will leave the narrow minded little club to themselves. They have taught me a big fat ZERO about the W204 & I like to give but learn at the same time.
This ENTIRE thing started with your superior "this is a dumb thread" comment followed by "read the w203 forum and wake-up".

It has nothing to do with the amount of info you provide, nobody is questioning that. You do a great service by providing relevant info. Those that need it appreciate it -

but for those that are casual readers (like me) we find it incredibly rude that you come to this forum with the attitude that we are all stupid for somehow NOT searching the w203 forums. The oil change debate has been beaten to death already on the w204 forums. The OP would have found enough info by searching this forum, as would anyone else without the w203 forum.

I also find it incredibly phony that you mention "I was once a newbie and I found my way around" yet you cannot give the OP a break (obviously a noob) and instead bash him, the thread he started, and then the entire w204 forum.

You guys simply don't get it do you????? If I want to find out how the BiX yaw sensor works do you think I care which forum gives me the answer when I search - They are all the same out of the same parts bin. Find me any comment on the yaw sensor on the W204 forum. Your cars have one. But the forum is so new I guarantee it's never been discussed.
No old man, YOU don't get it. You can find ALL the info you need on oil changes for the w204 right here on the w204 forum without your high-and-mighty act. If this were about a subject that wasn't covered on the w204 forum, then your entire argument would actually hold water.

In fact, I thought this thread had some pretty good banter before you muddied it. Most threads like this usually end by the second post where someone tells the OP to do a search. Ironic huh.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Lol...as I was reading this thread digress, my thoughts were that both Glyn M Ruck and acr2001 initially entered this thread with negative responses and attitudes. I didn't think it worth it to mention this but it is interesting to see I am not the only one that thought this.
I guess it is not just what you have to add to a thread but how you feel you need to add it.

Last edited by C300Sport; 03-10-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM

2008 C300 Sport
This is getting out of hand. I'm sorry I ever said anything. Ruck, good luck and take care. For the record, I never had a problem with the info you've provided.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The link below was what I followed (yes, its a W203 thread) to do my first change on my 2009 this past weekend. The illustrations are very good, I recommend anyone who wants to perform this as a DIY, look at this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-pictures.html
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

For the record - I never bashed a noob - I ALWAYS help noobs - I bashed the tacky advice he was given - Have a fine day - nyca I'm delighted you found the above link usefull.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
For the record - I never bashed a noob - I ALWAYS help noobs - I bashed the tacky advice he was given - Have a fine day - nyca I'm delighted you found the above link usefull.
Fair enough. BTW- I have personally learned a lot from your posts...not to mention I love seeing that pic from Llandudno...nothing like that in Atlanta.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks C300 - Yes, after the pleasure of travelling the world afforded me by my company & all the wonderful & diverse people I have met & befriended. I'm pleased to finally be home after travelling 200 plus days a year globally for the last 14 years. Llandudno is indeed idyllic. I bought the property when I was 24 years old for peanuts - Now it's worth a fortune. I like Atlanta - have a good friend, Genie Stringer living & lecturing there. She was the Global Marketing Manager for Coca Cola until we stole her

Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
.... But looking at WIS, the 204.081 car with the 272.948 engine is engineered for oil changes by siphoning. I admit that I have no experience about this model but I find it odd if the 4-Matic would affect the bottom part of the pan significantly, never know though.
The OP was looking for how to drain a 4matic's engine oil. I think experience with W204 4-matics is what is still lacking in this flaming thread, with nice beach pictures.

I assumed everyone was correct in this thread when I bought the suction pump. I confirmed the pump worked on our old A4 v6 (near 100% evacuation of 5.5Q before the siphone tube gurgled air).

But on the C300 W204 4 matic, only about 5 of the 8 quarts pulled out. I think there is a crossover tube in the oil pan, for the front axle. There was no getting the siphon tube any deeper than I did. In this case, oil should be drained by the usual plug.

link: http://automen.blogspot.com/2007/04/...-us-at-ny.html

quote from link:

"Beginning from the right side of the transmission tail section, a driveshaft powers a front final drive and differential unit just to the right of the engine oil pan. The axle shaft for the left front wheel passes through a tube that's encapsulated in the engine oil pan."

Last edited by kevink2; 03-11-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
I'm sorry I found this dumb thread. You people should read the W 203 forum & wake up.

- Only drain oil when hot
- Only put in new filter once oil is drained
- Always loosen oil filter housing cap before draining
- Only use Mann + Hummel MB genuine fleece filter (blown polyester) - also repackaged by K&N & Bosch
- Only siphon oil out of the engine
- Only fill new oil into the oil filler orifice once you have removed the cap
- Should you be dumb enough to remove the drain plug please replace the plug with a new one. Plugs use microencapsulation technology for proper seal & cannot be reused
- do not prime the filter housing - utterly unnecessary.
- Only use Approved for service products & for your engines that means 229.5 approved products for gasoline engines & NOT 229.51 which is for long drain diesel requirements with Max 0.8 ash & cars with cat & particulate filters.
- You don't only have to use Mobil 1 - read this. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght=definitive
- All modern Benz engines are designed for oil extraction - that includes diesel, CNG, stratified charge etc etc.
- You can never get all of the oil out of these engines by either drain method - at least half a quart remains - this is OK & design & servicing takes this into account

It also helps to read the owners manual - long version - not quick start.
Keeping in mind the OP that started this "dumb" thread owns a C300 W204 4-matic, your highlighted comments would be wrong for him and anyone with the same model.

"You can never get all of the oil out of these engines by either drain method - at least half a quart remains - this is OK & design & servicing takes this into account"
..."

How about 3 Quarts remaining

Last edited by kevink2; 03-11-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Glyn, It's a pity South Africans can't play cricket !!

Australia 2 SA 0 & one match to play
Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by kevink2
The OP was looking for how to drain a 4matic's engine oil. I think experience with W204 4-matics is what is still lacking in this flaming thread, with nice beach pictures.

I assumed everyone was correct in this thread when I bought the suction pump. I confirmed the pump worked on our old A4 v6 (near 100% evacuation of 5.5Q before the siphone tube gurgled air).

But on the C300 W204 4 matic, only about 5 of the 8 quarts pulled out. I think there is a crossover tube in the oil pan, for the front axle. There was no getting the siphon tube any deeper than I did. In this case, oil should be drained by the usual plug.

quote from link:

"Beginning from the right side of the transmission tail section, a driveshaft powers a front final drive and differential unit just to the right of the engine oil pan. The axle shaft for the left front wheel passes through a tube that's encapsulated in the engine oil pan."
I have not even seen the oil pan your car has and I don't know if it is different from those I've seen but the MB workshop documents do suggest siphoning equally valid option for oil change as draining. It sounds odd if three quarts of oil would be left to your car in this case.

The front axle does go through the oil pan on all 4-matics I know but I cannot see how it would make oil draining or siphoning different because the axle tube is way above the oil pan bottom. It should not divide the pan into sections and if it did, wouldn't it affect draining too?

I did not find a good picture of the oil pan on a 4-Matic W204 that I would dare to post, attached a generic picture that should show the oil pan bottom being pretty unaffected about the front axle passing through the pan. The dipstick tube should go to the lowest postion of the pan, about the same for the drain plug.

I believe you did not run the engine hot enough or you did not wait long enough to let the oil drain to the sump or you removed the filter too late or your car just is different from what I've seen. If it was the last one, how come MB officially supports siphoning being an allowed oil change method?
Attached Thumbnails Oil change question-w211-front-axle.jpg  
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Carsy
Glyn, It's a pity South Africans can't play cricket !!

Australia 2 SA 0 & one match to play
Hey Carsy - Yeah 6 weeks ago we were gloating - very quiet now Your guys are playing really well
Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I have not even seen the oil pan your car has and I don't know if it is different from those I've seen but the MB workshop documents do suggest siphoning equally valid option for oil change as draining. It sounds odd if three quarts of oil would be left to your car in this case.

The front axle does go through the oil pan on all 4-matics I know but I cannot see how it would make oil draining or siphoning different because the axle tube is way above the oil pan bottom. It should not divide the pan into sections and if it did, wouldn't it affect draining too?

I did not find a good picture of the oil pan on a 4-Matic W204 that I would dare to post, attached a generic picture that should show the oil pan bottom being pretty unaffected about the front axle passing through the pan. The dipstick tube should go to the lowest postion of the pan, about the same for the drain plug.

I believe you did not run the engine hot enough or you did not wait long enough to let the oil drain to the sump or you removed the filter too late or your car just is different from what I've seen. If it was the last one, how come MB officially supports siphoning being an allowed oil change method?
The drive shaft has been going through the oil pan for a long while - he's doing it wrong. 4Matic owners & the dealers suck it all out all the time. Find someone from this forum to help him so we don't have World War 3.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2
Keeping in mind the OP that started this "dumb" thread owns a C300 W204 4-matic, your highlighted comments would be wrong for him and anyone with the same model.

"You can never get all of the oil out of these engines by either drain method - at least half a quart remains - this is OK & design & servicing takes this into account"
..."

How about 3 Quarts remaining
Wow. I said I was done with this thread, but I have to post once more after reading this dribble. You have only made this thread worse with your last 2 completely incorrect posts. Go look up the definition of encapsulates. You can drain the oil from the 4 matics using the suction method, this is how the dealers do it the world around, and this is how MB recommends it be done. Posts like yours astound me.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Honestly Glyn, forget em, they don't deserve help, let them struggle to regain the information, atleast 75% of which is already available on the W203 forum.

I'm done with this thread. Glad I can go back to the W203 forum for intelligent posts and accurate information.
You know, I was reading this and agreeing with you that people need to search outside just the 204 forums for information that can be readily had on other forum sections, but this thread really degenerated to infantile bickering and "my daddy is bigger than your daddy" type arguments. Please don't make blanket statements about the 204 community as a whole. We're all mercedes enthusiasts and are here to learn and share.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
You know, I was reading this and agreeing with you that people need to search outside just the 204 forums for information that can be readily had on other forum sections, but this thread really degenerated to infantile bickering and "my daddy is bigger than your daddy" type arguments. Please don't make blanket statements about the 204 community as a whole. We're all mercedes enthusiasts and are here to learn and share.
Thats the main point for being a members HERE .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change question