C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

A week with a C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
Thumbs up A week with a C300

So Im a Mercedes Fan. A die hard fan at that, I love Audi and I think BMW is decent, but something about Mercedes draws me to it like a moth to a flame. I'm only 20 but have been through my fair share of German automobiles, wether it be through rentals or ownership.

Thus far, my favorite car-- in terms of reliability-- has been my first car, the B7 2.0T Audi. I drove it like I stole it, got it impounded for street racing, flew over some hills, slid through some corners, did some burn outs and topped it out more then a few times. And it held through. Granted, I needed new tires more then usual but that was a matter of how I handled the car not a negative side effect of Audi's craftsmanship.

I owned my own detailing shop and one time we had this customer come in with a 335. A new black one, he demanded it be cleaned and then driven to an agreed upon location. I obliged. The location was about an hour and a half away. So I had time to drive that too. And again, BMW stuck me at decent. In my opinion, not enough power. Amazing handling, and again in my opinion, the interior looked cheesy. Audi remained my favorite between the trio competitors damn the C-Class... I never even wanted to drive the new C-Class because I hate things surrounded by hype, and this car, I thought was one of them.

So imagine my surprise when my SL600 went to service and I was given a relatively new C300 to trudge around town in. I was mad at first... but oh boy did that change quickly.

I sat in the new C-Class. Observed some buttons, loaded in Dr. Dre's 2001 Chronic, lamented the fact I hadn't been given at least the AMG version, and eventually started the vehicle. I had a friend who had gone to dealer with me, and as with every car we ever drive, wether it's by owning or renting or however we acquire one, we evaluated the car. I failed the car within the first minute of driving it, citing lack of power, lack of automated lumbar and lack of suede head-liner as my main reasons.

But then something happened. While I was driving, I had forgot I was driving the hyped C-Class. By this point however, I had stopped rating the car as a hole and already convinced myself it was nothing but hype, but subconsciously I was starting to have a change of heart!

The car handles extremely well, I don't doubt for a second it could waltz all over my SL600 on a tight-track. It's like I point, and it goes-- my SL hesitates, like "I guess I have to go that way". The interior is fairly decent, far better then I had expected and a massive improvement over the former model. The sound system kicks nicely and it managed to seat four of my friends quite comfortably; a chore the Audi had slight problems with as I got a real lean in my front seat.

It's been raining here in Southern California and that means, well... it means I've put the C-Class through it's paces; in secured locations

I'm thoroughly impressed by the car, and I have the C300! I can only imagine how easy it must be to drift in a C63. The C300 is handled easily through corners, and sustains drifts quite easily once it's going; it's lack of power intrudes on my fun but I'm sure had they given me the C63 as a rental, I'd never give it back!

So, I should be getting my SL600 back at the end of this week... but I don't want it back. Not yet anyways. I'm having too much fun with the C300. I been contemplating getting an exhaust system-- some generic Flowmaster or Magna Flow-- for it while I have it, along with a K&N so I can get a little more juice out of it but I don't even want to stop driving it for that.

See my A4, was an amazing vehicle; virtually no problems unless they were caused by me. My S4 couldn't go a week without an oil leak, or a CV boot cracking. The E55 is Satan's car and I refuse to ever drive a car again that tries to kill me. The SL55, see previous sentence. My SL600 is thus far my perfect car. Fast, doesn't try to kill me if I dip in the pedal too much, and it looks pretty at lights. And even saying all that, I still say the C-Class makes me smile ear to ear like my SL hasn't done since I first bought it. I don't know if the novelty of the sheer thrust has worn off (in my SL), or maybe it's because the C-Class is just newer, but something about this C-Class...

So the C-Class doesn't have the build quality my Audi did, or the interior sueded up like my SL600, and just maybe it can't handle as well as the 335-- but I still have much more fun with it then all three of the mentioned cars combined.

When the time comes I have to return my loaner, a piece of me will leave with it but it will forever live in my heart. I envy you C-Class drivers, and that's something I never thought I'd say... especially considering I have the entry model of the entry class.

My hats off to Mercedes on building an exceptional vehicle.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
You thought the 335i was underpowered and you think the C300 is more fun? Interesting....

Having said that, im your age and I like my car a lot..i see a lot driven by other young kids around town/school/etc so MB apparently did a good job appealing to our generation.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by C300Kid
You thought the 335i was underpowered and you think the C300 is more fun? Interesting....

Having said that, im your age and I like my car a lot..i see a lot driven by other young kids around town/school/etc so MB apparently did a good job appealing to our generation.
I find power isn't everything when considering between those three cars. The 335i sure has more power, but I wasn't too much of a fan of the interior and honestly, at times it hesitated to pick up speed; I already raced one with my modded A4 and beat it. My S4 surely would have dealt with that problem no worries, and I'm not even going to go to my Benzes. So in terms of speed, I wasn't too impressed because I went into it expecting to be a rocket. Especially after all the videos I've seen of those things beating all these higher-end Benzes. In any event, the SMG or whatever crap BMW has is overrated, and although it was also easy to toss through corners, that too was expected.

Nothing in the C-Class was expected; it was just hyped and I never believed the hype.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM

C350
Originally Posted by C300Kid

are you in a rich town/school/etc?

lots of kids driving mercedes.... hmmmm
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Akademiks

Phenomenal review! I really appreciated reading it. You certainly have an extraordinary car, and I'm glad to hear the rest of us aren't crazy for enjoying the little 'ole C-Class.

I also find it a really fun car. I have a SLK 350 now, but the 2-3 days a week I use the W204, I really enjoy it.

I think you have to consider that this is the best selling car for Mercedes, so they really put a lot of focus and attention to them, and you probably get a bit more for your money with a C than the other Mercedes, due to the absolute number they sell, it's possible to do.

Thanks again for the review. Keep enjoying your cars.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
I agree. My wife got a C300 loaner for ML, I was looking for a 328/335 or IS350 but after taking the loaner out for a spin and driving it like a rental, I really took a liking to the C300. Plus, MB dealers are lot more agressive in pricing than BMW dealers (I guess their cars are flying off the lots). I got my Silver/Black C300 Sport P1 with 18" AMG wheels (love the wheels) with CF mods (pillars and trunk spoiler) and with the now standard Bluetooth, it's great.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Interesting review.
You obviously have different priorities than me when choosing cars, but we both like the W204. I, too, looked at Lexus and BMW and ended up with the Benz. I think it's interesting that it's called the "entry-level" Benz in the USA. (We have the A and B classes here.)
We bought the highest-level, non-AMG C-class available in Japan and have never looked back. (C300 Avantgarde Sport) What a fun, yet refined car to drive. The engine has plenty of power for anything I can do on the roads here, the AMG parts add to the fun (minus the AMG engine and suspension, of course), and it has room for my two kids' car seats in the back. All-around perfection.
Yes, there are more purpose-built vehicles, but mine does everything I need/want it to VERY well.
PLUS, if I were still single, it would be a heck of a chick magnet.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 PM

2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
Thanks for taking the time to write your review... This is my first Benz and I couldn't be happier with what I bought! I was wanting a small sport/lux sedan and I also looked at the obvious competition. Like you, I noted that the C300 doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but is the best compromise of everything (power, handling, features, styling)... While most high-end vehicles are purpose-built for either speed, ultra-lux, and off-roading capabilities, the C-class seems to want to offer something that the competition doesn't quite seem to have right.

Thanks again for your time in writing your post, it was a great read!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM

mercedes benz E320 CDi Sport
I have a 335 and well, i'm not impressed by it much, power is quite good but the interior is below par and the handling is good for a saloon but yeah, I want to change it but my wife likes it so I'm gunna hold off. Mercedes really need more praise for this car, i test drove it and liked it loads and the wife wanted the BMW, probably for the poser factor lol. Handling is excellent, the interior wasn't great but better than the BMW, great review nice job.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
I too am married with 2 kids, this definitely factored in my decision. If I was single and wanted a look at me car, I would have gotten an M3 coupe. I agree with above that the MB C300 was the best all around car, looks good, decent power, great handling and good ride (with 18" wheels), roomy, nice interior (contrary to many car mag reviews) and well-priced. The bimmers come with a full maintenance program but they are $2k to $3k more. The W204s also have some nice CF accessories which I got. The only option I wish I got was the pano roof.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

SL600
All very welcome.

I've since jumped back into my 600 and I'm patiently waiting... waiting for a reason to go back to the dealer and demand another rental.

Just curious, what kind of deals did you guys get on your C300s?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by Akademiks
All very welcome.

I've since jumped back into my 600 and I'm patiently waiting... waiting for a reason to go back to the dealer and demand another rental.

Just curious, what kind of deals did you guys get on your C300s?
While I think it's very cool you liked the c300, aren't you happy to have the SL back a while? I mean, you have one of those dream cars, for many of us. I say just go out and have some nice drives in your beautiful car.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 AM

I paid $40k for mine, plus another $3k for extended warranty (7yr/100k mi) because I'm afraid of electronic gremlins.

2008 C300 sport, mars red, P1 pkg, multimedia, pano roof (a must have for me), and iPod connector. Dealer threw in a trunk spoiler and took $1k off MSRP. I could have gotten $1-2k less if I had bought here in Germany and brought back with me in a few years but when you're spending that much money a couple grand doesn't really matter.

Last edited by 08w204; 03-01-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by mac911
While I think it's very cool you liked the c300, aren't you happy to have the SL back a while? I mean, you have one of those dream cars, for many of us. I say just go out and have some nice drives in your beautiful car.
Oh, believe me. I love my SL600 dearly.

It's just at times it gets rough owning a car like the SL600. It's worrisome and I panic anytime anyone gets near it, I avoid pot-holes like light trying to escape a black-hole, I quiver in my Nike Cortez' at the gas pump, and my insurance rates are through the roof. Driving the C-Class, I felt very carefree and I was able to enjoy it, and not panic about anyone coming to close to my car making a right turn, or I didn't have the Fast-And-Furious my way around pot-holes.

And when I don't have work/school (this weekend I believe) I will go and drive it in circles lol believe me, cruising time is my favorite. It's not often I'm off, so usually I'm a fein for the top-down cruise! I only take it out on weekends so I enjoy it in moderation.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by 08w204
I paid $40k for mine, plus another $3k for extended warranty (7yr/100k mi) because I'm afraid of electronic gremlins.

2008 C300 sport, mars red, P1 pkg, multimedia, pano roof (a must have for me), and iPod connector. Dealer threw in a trunk spoiler and took $1k off MSRP. I could have gotten $1-2k less if I had bought here in Germany and brought back with me in a few years but when you're spending that much money a couple grand doesn't really matter.
Pretty good deal

MB should be very flexible in this economy I imagine...
Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
warranty?

Originally Posted by 08w204

which warranty did you get? I was quoted a 7/75 for 3200$? I thought these things were pretty stable across benz dealers, and not necessarilly discounteD?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
We went ahead and pulled the trigger recently, did about 5.5K off MSRP on a fairly loaded C300. Still thinking about the warranty extension though.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by Akademiks
I find power isn't everything when considering between those three cars. The 335i sure has more power, but I wasn't too much of a fan of the interior and honestly, at times it hesitated to pick up speed; I already raced one with my modded A4 and beat it. My S4 surely would have dealt with that problem no worries, and I'm not even going to go to my Benzes. So in terms of speed, I wasn't too impressed because I went into it expecting to be a rocket. Especially after all the videos I've seen of those things beating all these higher-end Benzes. In any event, the SMG or whatever crap BMW has is overrated, and although it was also easy to toss through corners, that too was expected.

Nothing in the C-Class was expected; it was just hyped and I never believed the hype.
You must modded the hell out of A4 in order to beat the 335i or may be just the driver.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'll be frank. The OP sounds like a huge tool.

modding a loaner car?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by misterng
You must modded the hell out of A4 in order to beat the 335i or may be just the driver.
Nah, it only had a Full Exhaust + Air Intake. And I'm a nut for weight-reduction so I removed anything I didn't use-- spare, tools, ashtray etc. etc. etc. We only ran from a dig up to 100 or so. Held the lead pretty good but I wouldn't doubt in top end he'd catch up. And of course drivers play a huge part.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I disagree with you on the design of the interior of the 204. Disregarding the new tech goodies, comparing the 203 and 204 interiors, I prefer the 203 by far. I ordered a C63, test drove it, and I loved the seats, the sound, the transmission, however did not like the interior at all, granted I was only in it for a limited amount of time (I didn't accept deliver due to the lack of the full performance package, not because of the interior!). The E9X interior is also better IMO. I don't think any C63 interior combo can beat the Fox Red/Carbon Leather trim M3 combo!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by tivoboy
which warranty did you get? I was quoted a 7/75 for 3200$? I thought these things were pretty stable across benz dealers, and not necessarilly discounteD?
I can't speak for the dealers' programs, but there were three options that were offered to me for extended warranties:

5yr/100k
6yr/100k
7yr/100k

I got it in April, 2008. Maybe the warranties changed after I bought it!

The unfortunate thing is I probably should have gotten a warranty with less time than 7yrs because I now have 20k miles on it! I could have saved a couple of thousand by going with a 5-6 yr warranty since the mileage is the same across the board.

Note that this is through MB USA and is not actually transferrable to Europe. I believe there is a 2yr/24k mile warranty here, which I hear is pretty standard for cars of all makes here. If I have a claim after that but within the boundaries of my stateside warranty I will have to cough up the cost of repair and be reimbursed by MB USA... So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't become a reality!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
I disagree with you on the design of the interior of the 204. Disregarding the new tech goodies, comparing the 203 and 204 interiors, I prefer the 203 by far. I ordered a C63, test drove it, and I loved the seats, the sound, the transmission, however did not like the interior at all, granted I was only in it for a limited amount of time (I didn't accept deliver due to the lack of the full performance package, not because of the interior!). The E9X interior is also better IMO. I don't think any C63 interior combo can beat the Fox Red/Carbon Leather trim M3 combo!
When your speaking in terms of design, it's all relative I suppose. Having spent a couple weeks in a W203 rental when my E55 was in the shop for a cracked supercharger, I can say I definitely prefer the W204 over the W203. The ride felt smoother, I had more room (W204), and if memory serves right, the W203 (granted I had the 230) is a slug compared the newer (300) W204.

BMW, again, is just there. The interior lacks any real feeling; soul less. Just lines and edges thrown randomly here and there. No sense of organization. Of course, there are hoards of people that tend to disagree but again, this is solely my opinion. And when we talk about facts, ie straight-line performance, the C63 stomps all over the M3.

Essentially between these three manufacturers (Audi, Mercedes, BMW) it really boils down to preference. Do you want an all-round well-built rocket? Look no further then Audi. Do you want to break necks through twisties? BMW is your choice. Or do you simply want to experience what NASA Astronauts deal with during take-off? Then strap yourself in the C63 and say a Hail-Mary.

Regardless of what you choose, I think it's safe to say you'll be happy with the some of the best sedans Euro has to offer.

Last edited by Akademiks; 03-05-2009 at 02:00 PM.