C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

tire tread depth in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
tire tread depth in snow

I want to take my C350 to the snow, but my tead is down to where the tread is even with the wear bar on the rear tires, is it ok for me to go up there? There should be minimal snow... maybe slushy...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
dont do it, looks like in your pic you have big rims and summer tires.... that is just begging to slide off the road.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:15 AM

C350
Originally Posted by Kar don
dont do it, looks like in your pic you have big rims and summer tires.... that is just begging to slide off the road.
ok, maybe i should put my factory wheels on...
Can I put chains on my factory wheel/tires?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 280 4Matic
Originally Posted by delirium
ok, maybe i should put my factory wheels on...
Can I put chains on my factory wheel/tires?
You can put chains on factory wheels, but there might be a problem when you enter parts of road with no snow. It will probly ruin the chains and I am not sure if its even legal to drive with chains on asphalt (or how you call plain road )

Coming from country with lots of snow, I was wondering, why cant you just put winter tires on factory wheels and switch them when needed? We are even forced to do it during winter by law and driving is way better, I understand, that it is different in California, but I cant even imagine to drive on summer tires in snow.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I would suggest certainly putting your stock wheels and tires back on. If they are the Michelin all-season tires you should be just fine in light snow/slush unless it's really hilly. I put Blizzak tires on in the winter, but I'm usually slow to get them on come winter so I do drive a bit on the OE Michelin tires and don't have too much trouble getting going or turning, but the Blizzak's are night and day difference.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM

C350
So the problem in Southern Ca is that you have to drive at least 1 hr to get to the snow. Sometimes even 3-4 hours to see the snow. Is it OK to drive on the freeway with snow tires on if there is no snow on the ground? Reason is because when you hit the mountains, there will be snow, but I cant bring an extra set of wheels to change when i get up there...

the problem living in So. Cal. is: snowboarding in the morning & going to the beach in the evening... .what tires do you put on!!!???
Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the problem living in So. Cal. is: snowboarding in the morning & going to the beach in the evening... .what tires do you put on!!!???
Must be rough!

Re: snow tires, I can only speak generally, but typically if you drive with them with temperatures above 45-50, they start to wear fast due to the soft/sticky compounds used in the tires. If you do drive in moderate temps like that, just drive easy and try not put too much stress on the tires which will cause them to wear faster, ie. hard excelleration and cornering.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Krytech
Must be rough!

Re: snow tires, I can only speak generally, but typically if you drive with them with temperatures above 45-50, they start to wear fast due to the soft/sticky compounds used in the tires. If you do drive in moderate temps like that, just drive easy and try not put too much stress on the tires which will cause them to wear faster, ie. hard excelleration and cornering.
"Fast" is relative. It's not like it's going to wear down to the wear bars in a day (I know that's not what you're implying).
Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
So the problem in Southern Ca is that you have to drive at least 1 hr to get to the snow. Sometimes even 3-4 hours to see the snow. Is it OK to drive on the freeway with snow tires on if there is no snow on the ground? Reason is because when you hit the mountains, there will be snow, but I cant bring an extra set of wheels to change when i get up there...

If you're going up to the mountains just put the OE wheels on w/ winter tires and don't worry about driving with them once you leave the mountains. They're just tires, you don't have to treat them any more special than summer or all-season tires.

Change your driving style too, once you hit colder temperatures and snow. Slow down and take it easy.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/lisptichgr.html
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Derspeed
Have you ever used this? Sounds interesting if it actually works good. Might get a can and toss it in the trunk during winter. One road I drive on often on my way home from work is up a slight hill, but it is often coated in ice and a couple times this winter when traffic was heavy I was loosing speed/traction going up the hill... just glad I didn't actually have to stop, not sure I would of been able to get going again.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I haven't used it, but I have heard it works. I wouldn't space the bands too far apart though. I almost used it on my Volvo this winter.