C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Dealer woops!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350-Black=Sold. New 08 C300 4Matic, Black/Black, P1, Ipod, Auto7speed, 10/10 hit 100,000 miles
Dealer woops!

I saw a screw in my right front tire thread this morning, so I stopped at my local tire place. He said leave it for an hour or so and he would fix it. He calls me and asked me if I had the tires rotated, I answered that they are staggered and can not rotate them. He told me that somone did and the wider tires were on the front and had rubbed against my struts! He said there is minor sidewall damage. I told him I only had it serviced at MB Dealer, he said well they rotated them. He put them back to the correct locations. I will tell the dealer service rep next time I go. I had the tire guy make a note on his bill.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
This doesn't surprise me, I get a card in the mail from my dealership saying I need my tired rotated every now and then. If you read the fine print, it does say that sport models are exempt, but I'm sure some Sport model customers call and take them up on the offer. The problem with the C class is the 4matic Sport information from MB says that staggered width tires are unavailable and yet they all have them. I will say it is a bit strange if not disappointing to have people who work on these cars every day to make a mistake like that though. Sounds like you have a set of new rear tires in your future.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:27 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
I guess it doesn't hurt to be paranoid.

After reading OP's post I got my flashlight and went out to the garage to check ... Yep, they're on right. Dang.

Probably a good thing to add to our pick-up check list, though. Don't leave the dealer after service on your sport version without first checking the sidewalls to be sure the fronts are actually up front!

Paranoid, that's me .... I guess ...

(but I'm at about 22K miles and that last service was at 13K ... )
Old 03-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by jstaneff
I guess it doesn't hurt to be paranoid.

After reading OP's post I got my flashlight and went out to the garage to check ... Yep, they're on right. Dang.

Probably a good thing to add to our pick-up check list, though. Don't leave the dealer after service on your sport version without first checking the sidewalls to be sure the fronts are actually up front!

Paranoid, that's me .... I guess ...

(but I'm at about 22K miles and that last service was at 13K ... )
Thats exactly how i was when i brought in my car for it' A service i had to tell the advisor twice and he had to tell the mechanic twice as well NOT to rotate the tires uughhhh. Trust me when i left the dealership i checked the tires to be sure the fronts were still in the front and the rears on the rears .....paranoid perhaps but it's been known for the dealership to make a woops no ????
Old 03-14-2009, 05:03 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, this feeds to my dislike of all staggered wheel setups, but beyond that, there are a couple of things I do before driving more than a block from wherever my car has been serviced:

-I get out the torque wrench and re-do all the bolts to spec. Any time the wheels have been off, I trust no one but me to make sure they're right.

-I open the hood and check to make sure there is nothing obviously disconnected, not closed, etc., and always check the oil on the dipstick. (I could bore you with the stories, but these precautions come from experience.)

Now you could add "make sure the right tires on on the right corners"....
Old 03-14-2009, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
That's unfortunate... I could see a tire shop screwing up on that, but an MB dealership?! No excuse for that.

Hopefully they replace the damaged tires for you.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by jrct9454
Well, this feeds to my dislike of all staggered wheel setups, but beyond that, there are a couple of things I do before driving more than a block from wherever my car has been serviced:
+1 for C Class

Staggered wheel setups make sense when there is a decent size difference, allowing for more rubber hitting the pavement. In the C class case, its pure stupidity, there isn't enough gained by adding the staggered width.

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post3408136

Dealers are absolutely clueless. Honestly, you can't trust them to replace a light bulb.